MOTU Origins Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pharoid, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    there was one in the original line, it was bootlegged a lot! I had one it was awesome. Also New Adventures and 200x had Power Swords.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Yup.
    DnoJd6TUYAAqxEE.jpg DnoJdXjU0AI325t.jpg s-l160025_full.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yep just look at the MOTUC figure (Goddess) well i had 2 purchased cause i had 2 subs. I went to open 1 and keep 1 sealed as its still sealed today and the figure literally fell apart in pieces on the thighs. I was ticked off about it as a statement said to us fans the problem was due to machine welding the legs. I got a full refund for the figure but had to send back my broke copy for evidence to company which was fine by me. Though other times you could keep the broke figure and pose a broke figure lmao.

4. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

5. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's a very good point.

6. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

MOTU Origins has more articulation than just about any figures other than Toy Biz Marvel Legends had in the early 2000's. So I would never have expected those figures to have this level of articulation. But what I won't forgive Mattel for with the Commemorative line is continuing to use those stupid black bands in the legs. Changing the legs to incorporate the kind of leg articulation seen on vintage figures such as Flying Fists He-Man and Snout Spout is something that could and should have happened with the Commemorative line.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
  8. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Sort of interesting for the desk? I am such a dork I’ll probably grab them they’re pretty cheap. I would definitely go for a full-scale Metal Power Sowrd like that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pharoid

News Credits:
    I agree. And I find this idea that Mattel “Could have released these figures in 2001” really fucking puzzling. First of all the 2000 Commemorative line was just that a re-make the original toys... it wasn’t an updated toy-line. Secondly this style of figure, the 5.5 muscle-man, received a retro nostalgia fad in the last 10 years. None of this Funko / ReAction shit was even on the radar 20 years ago. Thirdly you have the articulation. The rotating elbow-joint to the best of my knowledge came out after Hasbro took over ML and I think it was their innovation. And that was after ToyBiz went under in 2007.

So saying “Oh Mattel should have done this 20 years ago” flies in the face of...Why the ‘00 Commemorative line was produced in the first place. A Retro Fad that wouldn’t even appear until over 10 years later and articulation that wasn’t at use at the time. Sure it would have been neat if Mattel did this back in 2000 but it would also be neat if Kenner released SW Black Series figures in 1981. Pretty unrealistic.

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Is it so unrealistic after hearing that the 4H originally tooled the 200X figures in 2002 with full articulation but Mattel nixed it in favor of cheaping out? Unrealistic would’ve been me expecting these figures to be Figuarts level for $15 at Walmart of all places and have immaculate paint jobs. I just don’t think it would’ve been hard for Mattel to conceive and make these Origin figures 20 years ago. They didn’t have to rely on Hasbro to see what a universal knee and elbow hinge was like. It’s not like Mattel didn’t know the Micromen and GI Joe figures of the 80’s had full articulation.

You’re all out defending this line and I get that it’s a throwback, just could’ve been earlier. I’m not even outright hating the line, I may even pick a few up.

• Like Like x 3
  12. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Received another in stock email. 3am in the morning. Missed it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Well maybe I am taking your point the wrong way, or at least seeing it from my point of view. Mattel is the laziest company on earth and actively flees from innovation. So I am looking at the same situation and saying they couldn’t even be bothered to articulate the 200X figures in even modest ways which in my opinion did more to kill the toyline than all the dayglo paint joints in the world. I would look at the situation and say 200X should have had at a minimum elbows and knees which would have at least been normal at that point in time and not a cheap-ass cost-cut.

Now I suppose they could have done the Origins line back then but you could bury Mattel in truckloads of GIJoe and Microman figures in 2000 and they still wouldn’t have invented that universal elbow/knee. I just don’t see Mattel inventing new articulation and adding it to a vintage figure at that point in time. Realistically they should have added standard articulation to 200X. In a perfect world they could have invented this I suppose, it’s just difficult for me having lived through the time to imagine this ever being the case.

Am I all out defending the line? I don’t know, I suppose. I just see it for what it is, I like the brand and I want it to succeed. I am a Classics fan so I would rather see more of that but this looks fun and toyetic. I am not judging it against anything but itself right now and it’s one of the more interesting additions to the retail toy shelves right now and pretty unique.

14. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

Same here, for teela and lyn.

15. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

The 200X prototypes didn't have "full articulation". They had additional elbow and knee articulation that Mattel nixed. That's it. They didn't have bicep swivel, ball joint neck pegs, rocker ankle joints, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Honestly had they retained the elbows and knees, I’d be content and would’ve bought most of them.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Pharoid

News Credits:
    If they started a new line of 200X with Classics level articulation that would be a good selling line. I would buy the sculpting from 20 years ago with improved articulation, maybe if Super 7 gets the license back.

• Like Like x 2
  18. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I’m the same way. That line came out at a weird time for me in my collecting hobby. I hated seeing nothing but He-Man and skeleton on the shelves and I remember at the time thinking they were so “close” to being awesome. Just knees and elbow joints would have been so cool.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    You gotta admit, it's a brilliant way to maintain demand. Trickle out the inventory online every once and a while. Too bad it also builds frustration in your actual customer base.

• Like Like x 2
  20. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Years ago, one of the blacksmiths at the Ren Faire was selling both He-Man and Lion-O's swords for something like $500 a pop.

• Like Like x 2