MOTU Origins Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pharoid, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Oddly enough while Sun Man and Pighead didn’t do well at retail, nearly everyone else in that subline is over retail on eBay and Mercari these days.

Which is really surprising for Digitino, who is maybe the most boring character ever made.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fridaytron

Fridaytron Pirate cat connoisseur

Twitter:
    I have to hold my moss man up to my nose, but he does still smell of pine.

And most of those snake men are on preorder at BBTS.

3. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It very much isn't. We know full-well what's coming, and that it is coming for the next year at least.

If you mean that the part of the line that you're interested in is winding down, then just say that, because it isn't winding down for plenty of others.

• Like Like x 6
  4. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Scott's followers can't hear that, they NEED to believe MOTU is dead at retail.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream Hi.

News Credits:
    • Mosquitor small chest as well, it's the reason why it has as many problems as it does. It feels way too much like Mattel tried to make him have regular Origins proportions, which is funny because in the end they stopped doing that with Rattlor (Who didn't have his quickstrike gimmick even though he had a huge body, I wouldn't mind if it had it's waist articulation removed as it doesn't move that much)
    • As for one of the other big problems in the line was the lack of reissues/refreshes/variants of popular characters mixed in the waves. With Variants I don't mean stuff like minicomics, but things like Vintage Head Beast Man or Toy Colors Orko
    • As for the Mini Comic variants, they should have all been on Mattel Creations, especially those that are less recognizable to the general public.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, "winding down at retail" is like an exact quote from Pixel Dan's video on the new figures. Accept it. We're on the back half of the line now. That's not a condemnation, lines end. It's just a fact of life. Origins is moving to online sales and apparently the cartoon classics is taking it's retail shelf space. It is what it is.

Yes... how long did fleshy Stratos sit on the peg? Mattel really thought people were going to buy a second Stratos right after the first.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You appear to imagine that the cartoon toys are somehow not Origins.

If that's the case, then you are wrong.

Like I said, the part you're interested in might be winding down, but that isn't the same as Origins winding down.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  9. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

• Like Like x 6
  10. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
  11. aussiedzfan

aussiedzfan Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's WWE Becky Lynch

12. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I don't get people saying that Cartoon Classics isn't Origins.

It's a bit like saying that Transformers: Generations ended with Combiner Wars or Legacy.

Origins was doing stuff that wasn't from the original toy line from the beginning, starting with Mini-Comics Adam and followed fairly quickly after the retail launch by She-Ra.

Personally, I think it's a branding mistake for Mattel to commit to vintage figure re-dos only coming through Mattel Creations but I'm honestly not sure they DID commit to that because I've heard mixed things from people who attended SDCC.

It IS clear that we will need to buy Mattel Creations releases if we want to finish the vintage line but I'm not certain that's the EXCLUSIVE distribution channel for vintage stuff, even though the first two waves of 2024 are all Filmation. I'm not convinced that we couldn't see Rio Blast alongside a mostly Filmation wave or things some of us have asked for like the Screech Skeletor head sculpt in normal colors.

Particularly as there's room to re-do major, marketable characters in more toy accurate versions (and tooling already complete in many cases like Man-at-Arms or Beast Man), that is stuff I think would be likelier NOT to be Mattel Creations. That could be in a wave, a multi-pack, fan channel, or with vehicles. I don't think they would abandon marketable stuff, particularly where the tooling has been done.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Leighton

Leighton Well-Known Member

I think you are right.
    They did say other types of figures would come at retail with The Cartoon Collection figures. Im sure Mattel Creations will be used for most of the Vintage releases. But I wouldnt rule out some coming at retail along side Cartoon figures aswell.

14. Beetle

Beetle MACH Daddy

News Credits:
    Moss Man I've yet to see one in stores around me. Eventually, I hope he becomes as plentiful as Panthor, the Roton or Mekaneck, so that I may be able to grab one at a reasonable price at some point.

15. soundwavempl

soundwavempl Toy Addict TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is because it is and and it isn't. Mattel has done with before with MOTU Classics and Club Grayskull. If you compare the classics He-man and Club Greyskull He-man, they do share some parts, but the look is completely different. To me, the difference is enough to justify calling this a separate line.

cvscgheman.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But it isn't even clear they'll be exclusively using the new buck.

Like I say, it is clear that Mattel Creations will finish the vintage line homages but I've seen mixed responses on whether retail waves or products might also contain vintage line homages.

• Like Like x 1
  17. soundwavempl

soundwavempl Toy Addict TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When it comes to Mattel, nothing is clear, especially when it comes to communication with fans. I would be all in for mixing in the origins figures with the cartoon figures in the case assortments. Too many origins figures have not made it to retail shelves.

Mattel couldn't even let us know about the mini-comic Man-E-Faces release. It was supposed to be an Amazon exclusive but everyone's orders got cancelled.

• Like Like x 1
  18. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I’m not in the “winding down at retail camp” but I am in the “where the hell has every wave since the skin colored stratos been?” Camp. Because nothing. NOTHING has shown up around here (4-5 targets and 2-4 Walmarts I visit) since the jitsu wave. I’ve seen some deluxes and vehicles but nothing on the main line. If someone doesn’t buy up that crap soon to get the flow going, then I’ll be continuing the online only purchases.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yet both of these Optimus Prime figures are Generations... 1000000869.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  20. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    For all we know they’ll continue doing 200X at retail with the old buck. We know they’re still mixing in reissues with the toon figures and the TMNT crossover leaks showed they were using the old buck as well. It’s still the same line they’re just mixing in something different because the line can’t be sustained at retail by those last few obscure vintage characters.

• Like Like x 2