MOTU Origins Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pharoid, Feb 21, 2020.

1. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And from what I understand, Singer paid something like $20 million combined for Brando's likeness and Brando CGI.

The upside to that is that Brando never approved his likeness for merch and Singer got an indefinite license for Superman Returns merch. Which means we not only got Brando toys but we continued to get Brando toys. I think Hot Toys did a Brando Jor-El a couple of years back. They had to market it as the Superman Returns version but the funny thing was that it was the ONLY Superman Returns figure they made.

I hope the MOTU film development at least has side benefits like that.

There are probably books worth of characters and designs from the development history of the new film and Goddard's planned sequel to the 1987 movie.

As I recall, they actually recycled costumes and designs and script elements from the sequel to the 87 movie into something else.

Yeah! Looking it up, Jean-Claude Van Damme's movie "Cyborg" in 1989 was very loosely adapted from a 1987 MOTU sequel. They used costumes and sets designed for the sequel.

I think the actual sequel script was about He-Man going to Earth AGAIN and becoming a football player?

I know Mattel and Cannon both went a little crazy in the late 80s with He-Man pitches and they looked at making him a football player and a U.S. government soldier in the style of G.I. Joe. H.E.M.A.N. was an acronym, I think?

Filmation was much more linear with a focus on sequels and prequels.

The football thing might have inspired Mattel's 90s 5.5" fantasy line, King Arthur and the Knights of Justice. That line recycled MOTU gimmicks and was planned to reissue the Horde Slime Pit (to a point where the TV show spent an episode plugging the slime pit). I think it's mostly remembered as an RPG sidescrolling beat em up for Super Nintendo.

If Mattel still has rights to Knights of Justice, I'd welcome a few guest stars in Origins at some point as a fellow 5.5" Mattel fantasy line. As near as I can tell, Mattel owns the toys outright and a tiny production studio that does Disney cash-in direct-to-video films called Golden Films has the media rights.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Yeah, I probably should have grabbed all 8 that I saw. Tidy profit to be made.

• Like Like x 1
  3. aussiedzfan

aussiedzfan Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No King Hiss eats them whole and live.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, but if Moss Man does indeed prove to be as available as flocked Panthor was... Well then we're still screwed, because despite that being freely available in the US it was hellishly difficult to obtain from outside.

But I fully expect Moss Man to follow the now-standard scalping cycle (we're at stage one right now, see below), and I'll wait a few months yet.

As I posted a couple of weeks back on He-Man.org:

Observing Duplico, and having observed other items over the past few years that have had similar distribution and scalping issues, I have come up with a working plan...

The item appears first at absurd prices (this is a few months ago, when Duplico sold for several hundred USD).

The item starts to be found by ordinary buyers, but not in sufficient quantities, and so the price starts dropping (this happened in late May when stock started appearing readily from Mexico).

The price stops dropping when it becomes clear that distribution isn't helping, so you can still safely sell for two to three times the price (this is now, even with stock being found at Walmarts throughout the US).

The price drops through the floor if, and only if, retail distribution works properly. I don't think it ever will with Duplico.

So, noting that we are at the probable lowest price point, I decided to keep an eye out for anything notably lower (someone who doesn't know what they've got, a mistake, someone not quite fully scalper scum, damaged item, whatever). And I saw one that said damaged (the card has the corners bent), for 25% lower than usual, and I grabbed it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Moss Man may as yet be available internationally yet, hopefully without a terrible markup.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

I have trouble believing an obscure SNES title is better known than that complete and utter banger of a theme song!

Nothing I particularly need to return but that was a hell of a good example of animated storytelling for such a silly premise.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Suntzu28

Suntzu28 Well-Known Member

THIS.

So. Much. This.

YES.

It's been a while since i've thought about that line but now that you mention it ... it's one of the few sword and sorcery fantasy themed I.P.s that held my attention. The characters designs deserve the Origins treatment.

*Thundarr, Herculoids , He-Man , Sun Man , The Lost World of Warlord , Conan and King Arthur and the Knights of Justice.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  9. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

• Like Like x 10
  10. Dr Fingelblender

Dr Fingelblender Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    20230716_162803.jpg

I've only recently gotten on board, but I've gotta say that I haven't enjoyed a toy line like this in forever, Origins is fantastic.
    I absolutely love that it can go hand in hand with the Vintage toys and I'm chuffed to be able to mix the old and new.

• Like Like x 12
  11. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I would absolutely love to see King Arthur and the knights of justice in motu. The figures were pretty cool and the show was awesome for the time.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Fridaytron

Fridaytron Pirate cat connoisseur

Twitter:
    • Like Like x 4
  13. soundwavempl

soundwavempl Toy Addict TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was able to pre-order 2 Duplico's off Walmart for $24 each. It is a pre-order for July 26th.

14. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Grabbed one for a friend, let's see how long they last.

Edit: just Duplico, no Miss Man.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

So Duplico was Collector Con huh?

No Moss Man though? Bummer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Nobody ever found a listing for MM and lots of people were shocked to see it hit shelves as it supposedly wasn't due til September.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

How is it that folks are getting different prices for Duplico? Some are getting $15, $18. I'm getting $24.

18. soundwavempl

soundwavempl Toy Addict TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I got an e-mail saying the price changed for Duplico. My order shows I got them for $0.00 as it seems they adjusted off the entire amount!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Darknova4life

Darknova4life Well-Known Member

The same thing just happened to me. I don't know how this will turn out.

• Like Like x 1
  20. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Their site is glitching. I just got an email saying the price was “updated” and now my preorder is listed at a price of 0.00

1EF8F020-19CF-42FE-A964-967754DF81DC.jpeg 59FB0A73-E1F8-4634-B755-DE58D6D258EA.jpeg

• Like Like x 2