MOTU Classics

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Reeds, Feb 20, 2009.

1. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    If they wanted to go that route, they'd need to have a sliding scale on prices. Hit this tier, it's $X, hit that tier, it's $Y. What happens now is that they come down to us with their minimally viable number, which right now is $35 on a run of 700. People wring their hands at the expense, with seemingly no awareness that aftermarket will be higher once they've dithered sufficiently. And then, maybe, if there's a reissue, they're right back at that $35/700. Whereas, if they'd made the right number the first time around, they sold more at a lower price but the same profit.

That said, the value of a toy seems to be based solely on the inverse of its supply. It could be unbreakable, spout lines from the show, and do your homework for you but, if they made a million of them, they'd have to pay anybody to take them. In that sense, they're better off making a single until and auctioning it off for a trillion dollars...

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Johnny1378

Johnny1378 Well-Known Member

According to people on the He-Man.org message board, Snake Mountain sales are now at 75% of the way toward meeting the goal that was set for minimum number needed to proceed with production.

3. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Well, hopefully they release MAA again, with the bellybutton in the front this time, so I can replace mine....and we were complaining on reverse shoulders and such with Mattel....

4. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got about a week to decide on whether I preorder SM or not. I like what they've done in design and colors. The table and bone throne are great accessories, and the translucent red waterfall looks very cool. If anything I wish they had gone more closely to the Filmation SM design and not have that gate on top. Instead have a large snake head (and larger snake body going down as well). But as it is, I like it. What's keeping me at bay is the total cost. I'm just having a hard time trying to convince myself of spending $803.00 in total costs. It's not because I can't, it's more so because I feel irresponsible spending that much on a hunk of plastic that's just going to sit in a room. Man....this is a tough one for me.

I think that if S7 does not reach their goal, they're close enough to extend it for another week or two. They've done that before, so it wouldn't surprise me they do it here.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    You can always sell it later.

6. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You hit the nail here,......nothing much i could add other than I've not pre-ordered either on Snake Mnt. I've been dragging my heels about doing it cause I'm looking at $750 which is alot of money. I have it saved and ready I'm just wondering if it would even go through. So i don't have to put up with the dumb part of getting a refund trash paper work.

7. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is true. That said, do I really want that kind of a headache? Sure I can make a bit of a profit like those who sold their Sail Barge, and that would be great too! But eBay is always heavily in favor of the buyers over sellers, and the last thing I want to deal with is some lying thief claiming that the item isn't what he saw as described, damaged, or claims it was not delivered to his address filing a claim and I lose $800+ and whatever shipping costs on top of that.

When Castle Grayskull came out for the Classics line, I HAD to have it. It was epic, and still is. It's also more iconic as a playlet alone than Snake Mountain is in terms of the original playlet reimagined in classics form. The original SM was a hollow shell inside. There was nothing going on in there other than a very cheap microphone that broke easily. The Fright Zone had more playability in comparison. Granted, the new Classics Snake Mountain is vastly better than the original, but again, that price tag is hard to swallow. If it was around $500, I would not be dragging my feet and debating whether to get it or not. And I did see this thing on display at Power-Con last year. It is pretty epic. Whether I buy one or not, I sincerely hope it gets produced for those that are committed to getting this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    I didn’t get Castle Grayskull at the outset because I was pissed at Matty changing the size. I didn’t get it when it was on close out. I deeply regretted it after it was sold out because i had always rationalized not buying it. Anyways I ended up buying it on eBay for $400. I still haven’t opened it It would just be crazy for me, personally, to have the collection and not have Grayskull and Snake Mountain.

9. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I'm glad I don't have that problem. Either I pay markup on BBTS for Snake Mountain or I don't get it. And quite frankly the appeal of such large playsets to me just doesn't seem to be there. If this lead to creating the Three Towers playset because they make their goal on this one I hate to see how much that would be.

10. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Not online, unless you're alright giving it away. I mean to sell an $800 toy that size on eBay, you would have to get around $1200 shipped for it. That's a haul-to-a-con or Craigs List type of sale.

I'm on the fence. I wasn't a big He-Man fan growing up but I have collected a few of Skeletor's minions through this line. If it were closer to $400, I'd probably have gone for it already. $800, that's more like where it would have to be the (Guardian GoBot) Command Center.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blackout32

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I just made my pre-order for Snake Mnt this morning before i forget since its a busy week ahead. I didn't want to forget to buy it before time runs out. So now I'm officially tied in on this big boy. So tally me in for the numbers game.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Same here, price is just too high, and I'm in a situation where I have to be more choosey with my purchases right now as well.

13. shockwave1977

shockwave1977 Shaun

I ordered mine yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 80sboy4

80sboy4 Well-Known Member

Just got this guy in! Been waiting for a good price on him, finally he's mine!! IMG_20190528_113307.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. Johnny1378

Johnny1378 Well-Known Member

Nice find! Club Grayskull Trapjaw is one that I regret not getting.

16. alty66

alty66 Well-Known Member

Mind me asking how much? I'm an opener, need one, and even loose ones I've seen on ebay are quite expensive. He and triklops arr the only two I need to "catch up" with the figures I want.

17. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I can’t believe Trap Jaw is that expensive! At one point he was being sold for cheaper than the initial price.

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, the reasons you stated are the ones I have for not pulling the trigger, despite having the funds.

Here’s mine:

1. Snake Mountain looks plain and IMO doesn’t have that much playability compared to Castle Grayskull.

Sure the exterior looks grand with the lava and bridge but the snake isn’t even painted. If they gave it s paint job like it did like the vintage...it would look better.

2. It’s not as iconic as Castle Grayskull. Sure it’s old bonehead’s home but the former is the one plot device (?) that drove the franchise. Where the villains would repeatedly try to break in.

3. Cost. Heh, this set is going to cost me SGD$1.5 to 1.6K. I wished I was earning US$!

With that amount of money, I can almost cover all my toy budget for the year.

19. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Interior looks pretty sweet, with Skeletor throne.

I had the original vintage one. The echo mic was the best part.

20. Blackout32

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well since you and me's order counts,.... that puts the snake mnt much closer. I was waiting for to hear at least 75% was there and PixelDan said the other day it was. I'm hoping we hear something from Super7 really soon it got funded next.

• Like Like x 1