MOTU Classics

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Reeds, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Castle showed up today! The funny thing is it took less than 24 hours to travel from California, to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, yet took DHL 5 days to actually deliver it to my house, WTF?

2. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Its good to see some MOTU fans here. I've been collecting them for a while now, but due to some dissatisfaction with DR and Mattel's shoddy business practices, I've decided to give up MOTUC.

If anyone is interested in sharing a 2014 sub, or you have some MOTUC kicking around at cost, let me know.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally received Plundor today and I'm having mixed feelings about the figure. I like the sculpt and always wanted the figure when I was a kid but now I realized he doesn't seem to fit into the MOTU aesthetics - looks goofy IMO.

I like the battle axe with orb. I believe old Skelly used it in the 'Diamond Ray of Disappearance'? Also as a kid, I wanted that weapon so I used a blue axe from a weapons pack (I think).

4. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I have plundor open and out with the rest of my MOTUC and I agree he sort of doesn't go with the rest of my figures but the GF says hes fugly. I just think hes one of those, oh well,... he's 1 of those stupid figures that scott made us pay for cause he wanted it made.

5. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

It's "Toy Designer Logic". They probably thought, "You know, pink is under-represented in the MOTUC palette." and that was all the justification they needed.

I don't think there is one unifying MOTUC aesthetic, though. I wish there was. Figures retain too much of their original inspiration. Calssic MOTU characters are simple, but aggressive-looking. 200x-based figures are more detailed, yet subdued. PoP-based figures are clean, soft and have no edge to them at all. NA figures look straight out a of a corny '40's/'50's science fiction serial. And figures based on Filmation are usually goofy as Hell.

6. Crispy

Crispy Active Member

Because DHL stands for 'Delivered Here Late'. Or 'Dozy Hopeless Layabouts'.

7. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I wanted Plundor the minute I saw him, and know nothing of the character. Stand him next to Clawful, Whiplash, Spikor, Buzz-off, and Snout Spout. The notion that he doesn't go with the rest of the figures quickly disappears.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I would agree that Plundor doesn't fit the rest of the MOTU aesthetic. I think its because, while other figures are somewhat cartoon-ish in terms of being stylized (like smkspy mentioned, Clawful, Whiplash, Buzz-Off, etc.), Plundor has the head of an actual cartoon rabbit right out of Hanna Barbera or some such. It's not a pushed, reality-based-but-catoonified rabbit head (like, say, Thumper from Bambi), which might have fit more with the MOTU aesthetic, it's that lazy cartoon-shorthand design for "generic rabbit." (Pardon the nitpicky academic distinction, I'm an animator in my day job and probably put too much thought into things like this. :) )

That being said… I actually like the Plundor figure. I didn't know anything about him before this figure either, but I like him for his ridiculousness. The sculptors knew full well he was a weird design, and I appreciate that they just decided to own it and go unapologetically all the way with it. Plus I like his color. He's definitely a quirky figure, but he makes a good conversation piece.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  9. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Plundor was a character created by Filmation. Skeletor lured He-Man into a trap and sent him to a different planet with amnesia. It was a world ruled by the evil bunny. I've been wanting an action figure version of Plundor almost ever since. He was never meant to blend in with the others, and the same is true in the cartoon episode. Pludor looked ridiculous with He-Man in animated form. And that's what makes him so interesting to me. My made-up justification for him is that he's one of Hordak's genetic experiments gone wrong. :D 

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL! I can tolerate Plundor because not only did he appear on the original show but he a pretty decent villain IMO. I'll take him over the Star Sisters and Fighting Foemen! X)

Wowzers! Good analysis of the aesthetics of the various line dude. That's what I loved about the original MOTU line. They had a 'hard edge' to them.

Yeah, I get what you mean but...

Yup, you summed up how I feel...the head is like one of those looney toon character! My kiddo keeps saying 'Bunny Man'! Haha!

Hordak experiment gone wrong?! That's a good one dude! TBH I really dig the figure. If Mattel had given a boxset of Filmation characters over the others like F.Foemen, I would have no complaints.

If Mattel wanted to 'milk' the line they should have used this approach earlier.

Oh yeah, happy holidays everyone! :) 

11. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

Plundor, along with Icer and Evilseed, ARE the one-hit wonders from the Filmation series that always stood out to me and remained etched in my consciousness all these years as memorable characters. The rest were forgotten. As a matter of fact, I recall, as a child, asking my mom to find me the MOTU "purple bunny...Plundor is his name", but alas, she couldn't. Ha! Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase mom! Anyway, so when he was finally released in the classics line, I had to get him. Now, along with Icer...2 down; 1 to go. They're awesome! Hopefully we'll see an Evilseed from the Horesemen that's equally fantastic!

12. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's an interesting thread on the .org. Thought I'd bring it here.

What are your guesses for the chase figures in 2014? Mine is "Disco Skeletor." I would love to see a MOTU Classics version made of him. He's so visually revolting in his color scheme that it makes him interesting to me. Here's what the 200X version of the figure:

[​IMG][​IMG]

What chase figure would you like to see for 2014? A "Crystal" Man At Arms? Orange Beast-Man? Green Trap-Jaw? What? :) 

13. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i would love disco skelly!

14. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

YES!! Disco Skelly FTW!!

15. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

Slime Pit He-Man, done in translucent green plastic to keep the theme going for chase figures. They did release green versions of He-Man's weapons.

16. Extendarr

Extendarr Well-Known Member

Anybody here in the Memphis, TN area? I'm traveling and stopped in at a Big Lots there on Summer Ave. today, and they had 10 Adora figures out. I scoured the rest of the store for other figures, but unfortunately, all they had were the Adora figs. So if you missed that one and want to get it and are near there, she's waiting for you.

17. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want an extra Adora to customize...

18. Extendarr

Extendarr Well-Known Member

Holy crap...I went to a comic shop today that didn't know anything about MOTUC but were selling them for $15 loose. Got Fisto and Roboto and a few others. Battle Cat for $25.

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You cleaned up pretty good if you got Fisto and Roboto for $15 each. Fisto is like the rarest figure in the line.

20. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Makes me wonder who the heck sold them to the comic shop for less than that!... :inquisiti