Most you’ve overspent on an out of stock figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ChipperOvPAINt, Dec 5, 2019.

1. ChipperOvPAINt

ChipperOvPAINt i like bionicles

Which figure was it? Was it worth it?

2. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Iron Factory Ultimate Commander for 130$. That's 60$ over retail, and this without Elita-1.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never done this. If it's out of stock and I can't find it for retail price, I don't get it. I wait for a reissue or for someone else to tackle the character. Which is why there are Brawn, Huffer, and Perceptor sized holes in my collection.

• Like Like x 7
  4. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Never. Occasionally I would be the other guy on the other side of the transaction though.
    Sold MMC Titanika for 325
    Sold MMC Commotus for 300
    Sold Iron Factory Starscream for 250

Before eBay fees and shipping though.

At the same time, I've lost money on some figures too so it's not all been parties and games.

• Like Like x 5
  5. MasterScale

MasterScale Loose, comes with baggage...

I purchased a new Thunder Erebus from TCP on black Friday. I haven't shipped it yet, but I have Thunder Manus already so I pretty much know what to expect - i.e. awesome. It was $60 over retail.

Before TCP magically had some stock for the holiday sale, I was poking around reputable Chinese retailers, and I found new it for $170... + shipping. From China. It would have cost about $200. That was not worth it to me. $160 + free (lightning fast) shipping? I'll do that.

With all that being said, had I not found Thunder Erebus domestically, I would have gone for a black Power Baser to get my Nucleon Quest Convoy fix.

I guess that really doesn't answer your question. While I don't have it in hand - it is basically Thunder Manus in Nucleon Quest colors, and I paid for it... so yes?

• Like Like x 1
  6. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Maximum blast!

News Credits:
    I think it was probably SS44 DOTM Prime.

Wasn’t in stock in the UK and not expected for at least a few weeks but I just badly wanted him.

Payed about $120 ish in total on a $50 figure at most. I don’t regret it but I do want to control my urge more.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChipperOvPAINt

Wow. Makes afraid to start getting IF stuff now. If I get their megatron, I would probably never get their starscream, optimus, soundwave lol.

8. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    I don’t know how much I overspent but I bout the nemesis/ black feral red for like $500. I sold it a year later for like $250, just warmed my shelves.

9. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Think I spent $200 on Maketoys Hypernovae, don't recall what it initially retailed for though. Its the only one that really comes to mind.

I nearly spent $250 or so to get one of the TF Con exclusive MMC Azaleas (the blue one) but the seller told me that it sold on ebay right before I was to send the money, so I dodged that bullet.

10. Krooked

Krooked Well-Known Member

they are releasing a new soundwave probly next year

11. ChipperOvPAINt

Oops I meant shockwave lol. What sucks is that their shockwave is probably my favorite toy design for the character that I've seen, from any company.

12. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

That's some depreciation. You paid the retail price tho, dont know if that makes it better or worse tho.

13. Krooked

Krooked Well-Known Member

ouch, yeah. i think he got ko'd, maybe os tho. the original was only $25 :( 

14. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Yeah I just had money burning a hole in my pocket so I didn’t ask any questions. And similarly I just wanted them gone so I set a price I knew they’d sell at... buy high, sell low :( 

I also bought Phoenix for about 255 and sold a few weeks later for 300... and then literally bought the reissue they announced later that week for like 245. The guy that bought from me had to be kicking himself but it’s always the risk you take when overpaying.

15. D0nut

D0nut Well-Known Member

I've tried to avoid paying late tax as much as possible, convincing myself I don't need it and such. I also go in expecting any figure I try to sell is going to be for peanuts what I paid.
    That said I gladly paid like 60 bucks for RTS Lugnut and he's one of my favorite toys.

16. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I usually have the opposite experience, in that I tend to get figures for cheaper than retail long after they've been released. I think the only exception would be some of the old Cybertron figures I've re-purchased, they ended up costing about double retail.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Not a transformer, but I was thinking on spending $250 on a Saint Seiya Myth Cloth EX Siegfried... Saint Seiya collectibles are ridiculously expensive sometimes...

18. corduroy

corduroy Well-Known Member

i want the mf who spent $600 on maketoys thundercracker and skywarp to come in here and divulge and explain his purchase ethics cus i know you in here.

• Like Like x 10
  19. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    What was the original, non-reissue price for Phoenix? I paid around $250 shortly before the reissue and I think that was over retail, but the reissue served like it was going for more and I didn't feel so bad.

Generally speaking, though, since I started collecting I buy stuff I want when it comes out, and most if my backlog was stuff that people just don't seem to want so I get for less. (For example, I don't like either of the official Hasbro versions of Cyclonus, so I picked up KFC Tempest for around $20). And the stuff that has gone up I just don't want that badly.

I think the only exception is FansProject's Snarl. I've offered around $50 over retail, but I swear FP only made a dozen. 10 people aren't interested in selling, and the other 2 are only selling as a set with the other six at a price around the original retail at a time when TFSource is dumping them for $30 a pop.

20. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've only over paid once so far. I paid like $200 for Koot but it was worth it to me, he's great

• Like Like x 1