Most Polarizing TF topics?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by D-Unit, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Try Sonic fans. Nothing will satisfy them (for good reason or not...)

I was going to say from what I've seen:

Drift- There's nothing more to say.

Random speculation- See the movie threads on "IZ DAT WEHLL JAK?"

Morality of knockoffs - That one thread was a hurricane for a while. The confusion between what a knockoff is really got out of hand.

Sense of entitlement for toys- "ZOMG WHY NO MASTERPICE *insert obscure g1 character here* HASBLO FAILZ"

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Fair point.

Original post deleted.

3. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I have heard of crazy shipping fans, they are universal. Also not limited to fiction either. The only shipping group I've ever really been a part of or supported is Zuko/Katara from the Avatar cartoon. Yeah Tf fans aren't that bad, at least to me. Actually most fandoms aren't, it's the super zealous fans that get all the attention.

4. Sslaxx

Sslaxx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Oh, I don't know, some of us are satisfied with what we have (I even like SatAM, Sonic X and SegaSonic!)...

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    This is my favorite post today.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Surely Animated, The Beast Era (Wars and Machines) and the movies are on an even footing here?

You literally cannot say that you like or dislike any of these in any thread in any forum without tens of people voicing their disagreement.

I will say though, that the movie forum is NUTS! You're walking on eggshells the entire time, and even then people still explode in your face. It's like fucking IMDB or some shit.

7. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Bay movies and all associations. I have people hating on me b/c I didn't like either movie and also b/c I hate most of the toys. I find the whole hornets next to be a love it or hate it topic.

8. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Just a few off the top of my head:

RIRFIB/RIBFIR
    Kissplayers
    Is G1 the best?
    Live action movies/Michael Bay

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the single most polarizing recently has been about the Twins in Revenge of the Fallen. No matter how carefully you question if the Twins crossed some line into what some people might consider bad racial stereotypes you can expect some sort of fight. Even when you are pointing out how it could have just been a series of small mistakes with no ill intentions by any of the production team you can still get branded a racist.

Then again just about anything with the movies sparks it off these days. The term "hater" has even started cropping up again because heavens forbid Transformers fans should have different taste.

Power Core seems to spark some hard feelings since some people see it as something different and fun while other people just aren't into the drone with no robot mode thing. Really just about any Transformers toy that does not turn into both a vehicle and a robot tends to spark a heated debate about what constitutes a Transformers toy.

10. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Whether the Bay movies are awesome or suck.

Whether Hot Rod is a great leader or sucks.

Who the best leader of the Decepticons is/would be.

11. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Post-Furman IDW's transformers.

You just can't figure out whether they are hiring a bunch of hacks of the world's greatest writers.

12. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Different times = Different hating. I can recall when Beasties started in '96 the "TRUCK NOT MUNKY" thing exploded. Pokeformers also generated a tonne of attacks but IMO the division over the "Bay-verse" has eclipsed them all. You're either in favour or against it - Sitting on the fench is not allowed... :lol 

13. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

:lol  Agreed. There have been so many things over the years that were very polarizing. Right now it's the Bayverse. The next few years? Who knows what it'll turn to.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea it is weird how there is no middle ground allowed when it comes to the movies. I've seen plenty of posts where people have listed what the films did really well and what they did really poorly. Yet those same people get labeled as hating everything or loving everything.

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Hey now. Hmm.:sly2: :wink: 

16. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I like how no one has mentioned the glaringly obvious: Autobot vs. Decepticon!

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Additionally to the Frank Welker voicing Megatron thing is the discussion over if he can still actually do the voice or not.

The BayFormers movies having saved the 'dead' TF franchise.

Don Fig's TF faces in the IDW ongoing.
    Bugs me everytime someone uses 'haters gotta hate'.

I just bugged myself.

18. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

I'm thrilled that my post seems to have garnered some applause. it's something of a new phenomenon to me.

I will still say that no matter how bad the Movie forum gets, it does not equal the old Bottalk chat room on Bigbot.com during the Beast Machines period. when people were frothing at the mouth angry at Bob Skir (always bob skir, never Marv Wolfman or marty isenberg or anyone else) and death threats directed towards him and his family were not uncommon. To me that was the only time it was honestly scary to be a transformers Fan.

I disliked Beast Machines.. but I didn't hate the people who created it.

as for things which are currently obnoxious.. the fact that liking the original show is some how worthy of derision and indignation.. and that there are slurs and catch phrases to be employed. "Geewunner" is the equivalent to a WMD in terms of its effect on the person you employ it against.

19. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well said. That's exactly my opinion on Beast Wars, and you are dead-on about the "GEEWUN" thing. There are too many people who hold that cartoon to present-day adult standards rather than just a kids show from the 80s

20. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1) Ye olde FIBRIR/FIRRIB debate
    2) Over the top Geewunners: Ruined Forever, raped my childhood, Trukk not Munky (admittedly this one's died down)
    3) Over the top anti-Geewunners: G1's animation sucks, G1 toys are bricks with no articulation and are complete garbage
    4) Michael Bay is the devil: OMG he should be burned at the stake! [IMO there's "good and entertaining" Bay (The Rock, the 2007 TF movie), as well as "so terrible please shoot me in the face" Bay (Armageddon, ROTF) but rarely is he looked at this way]
    5) KOs (as a part of your collection): acceptable or not?