Most forgettable Transformers of each year.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, Jun 1, 2020.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

I came across a thread a year back, that said Windcharger was the most forgettable Transformer of 1984. I have to agree, but what about the other years and what about other characters?

Ask yourself this:
    1. Are these characters memorable?
    2. Do they have a unique quirk?
    3. Are they relevant?
    4. Do they have a fanbase?
    5. Have they appeared in other universes?
    • 1984: Windcharger. No doubt about it. Windcharger has the least memorable moments in the G1 cartoon, and became forgotten as the 1985 robots came out. He isn't as recurring in later toylines, and his appearances in the comics are few and far between. I'd be easy to jab the mail away characters, but I won't.
    • 1985: Thrust. I frequently forget he exists, and he has the least appearances of the Coneheads. Ramjet is the face of the Coneheads, and Dirge was featured in IDW.
    • 1986: Steeljaw. One of the more forgettable Cassettes, nothing to see here.
    • 1987: Wideload. Funny name, uninteresting character. He's Brawn crossed with Tracks.
    I don't know about other years... so. Help?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

For 1984, it's definitely Sideswipe.

3. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree with Windcharger for 1984.

Not sure about 1985 as I usually remember everyone.
    I guess Bonecrusher is least memorable for me if we're not counting the obscure guys like the Deluxe Insecticons.

Either Rampage or Broadside for 1986.

Pointblank for 1987.

There are a lot of forgettable bots from 1988 onward, but Windsweeper is the one I'm the most surprised about when I realize I had forgotten about him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Rung.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Since you mentioned Windcharger who had a role in Fire in the Sky and Ultimate Doom and Masquerade...................forgettable?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Not Blitzwing

Not Blitzwing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1984: Hauler

• Like Like x 5
  7. Subdurmal

Subdurmal Well-Known Member

If only counting characters that appeared in the show and had toys but had terrible screen time I'd say........
    1984 Buzzshaw followed by 1985 Skids.

If talking show characters then yeah
    1984 Hauler (named character says nothing and is never seen again

Or

1984 generic seeker or Reflector

• Like Like x 1
  8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    1984: Agree with Windcharger.
    1985: Hard to say. Even Skids had some character development comics wise. Guess I'll opt for the Jumpstarters.
    1986: There are several from each combiner team that are basically just there. For instance, Afterburner. What did he do?
    1987: All of the Targetmasters were essentially playing second fiddle. Except Misfire. Misfire is awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheWarPathGuy

After those episodes he basically faded into the background, and was basically axed.
    1984 was really hard cause each character got their own Spotlight and memorable moments, or they became important in later years in the 21st century. Windcharger had none of this, except toys and cameos in the comics.

10. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Fire in the Sky, had him and Brawn doing insane stunts. Ultimate Doom had him use that "magnetic thingie of his" that got translated into his "Mustang type toy" and Masquerade got the team to "merge" into False Menasor.

I nominate Skids, Hubcab,Swerve,Tailgate as the truly "neglected" of the G1 cars.:cry 

• Like Like x 3
  11. SideswipeFriend2005

SideswipeFriend2005 Mirror Universe Counterpart

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY BOY?
    84: Totally charger. No doubt about it. (except for that memorable moment where he was in the labcoat)
    85: Skids. Shrodinger's bot? who knows? did he really even exist?
    86: Hubcap.
    87: Freeway

• Like Like x 1
  12. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Agreed, I don't find Windcharger forgettable at all. I don't recall Huffer much after the initial three parter...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    There like so many 'bots to be given at least some spotlight. The mere fact they got some exposure was a feat itself.

It was like a 5 second shot. Poor guy. At least Marvel did him good with #20

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  14. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

1984: Honestly, despite their popularity, I think Optimus Prime and Megatron were the least interesting characters in this year. All the other characters had very interesting personalities and incredibly compelling backstories despite some of them not being used to their full potential, but Optimus and Megatron are just the leader characters and don't really amount to a whole lot, and whenever people try to add depth to them, it just doesn't work at all and really ends up annoying me a whole lot. They just aren't interesting and the overuse has just made them even more redundant. Another thing that doesn't help them is that later on, we got better and much more compelling leader characters in the form of Shockwave, Ultra Magnus, Rodimus Prime, Galvatron, Optimus Primal and the BW/BM version of Megatron.

1985: Mini-Spies. Although the toys were pretty nifty, I dunno if the concept would have caught on in fiction.

1986: Springer. I just never got why people liked him. He is quite possibly the blandest character to come out of the movie. He was fine in the movie, but as I said before, it may have been because all the other characters introduced there were just so barebones that he kind of rose above them, but once season three came along, he just never did anything of importance and just didn't seem to have a great dynamic with any of the other characters, who had just a more richer personality than he ever had. Even in more recent stuff, I just find him incredibly boring.

1987: The Trainbots/Raiden. The toy has a very cool design and it's cool to see that we had a different Combiner back then, but when I saw Headmasters, he just was introduced without fanfare and was treated just like every Combiner in this show did - get the crap beaten out of him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheWarPathGuy

Skids was featured in the G1 comic, and IDW. Tailgate and Swerve were also prominent in IDW's comics, which made them fan favorites and characterized them.
    I can't remember anything about Hubcap!

16. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Mentioned that (about Skids). The others you mentoned were given their just desserts, only like almost 20+ years later. Guess better late than never.;) 

Bumblebee IS the best widely exposed "Mini spy". Though Ravage still tops them all.

Raiden and trains are a cultural thing. Maybe back in the turn of the century when trains were much more popular. In Japan, just the opposite, they ARE popular. Even now with Takara's Shinkansen henkei line (Raiden's spiritual successors)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. TheUltimateBum

Bumblebee is a mini-car/mini-vehicle, not a mini-spy. By mini-spies, I meant these guys:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yeah, the trains are popular, the problem is that Raiden just doesn't do anything of importance in the Headmasters cartoon despite being a new toy. In fact, Rail Racer, the next train combiner, got a lot more to do than Raiden ever did.

18. Furnace

Furnace Antroid at a picnic

Who?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Those guys?! Never got one those! :( 

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheUltimateBum

Yeah, they actually came packed with the mini-vehicles in 1985. Their only fiction appearances I can think of was in one of the G1 commercials and a few cameo appearances in the Dreamwave stuff, but other than that, nothing. They are pretty cheap and easy to find by themselves, so it won't be a problem. :) 

However, yeah, the thing is that I can't see these guys working that well in fiction, especially since the mini-vehicles already fulfill the role of espionage troops.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020