Most Disappointing Botcon yet?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Mastodon, Jun 5, 2011.

1. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does anyone know how the exclusives are selling? Do people like them? I'm just curious.

2. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    In terms of exclusive toys, I think this year easily beats out the last two or three exclusives. As for product reveals, the Amazon Unicron, next year's club exclusives, and the third-party stuff were the only things that really got me interested.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Seeing as how flame wars erupt at the drop of a hat on the 'net... how does everyone act in person? Is there good security?

4. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    There isn't one. I went in 2008 thinking "how great it would be to meet fans" What I got was, $40 meals, $12 drinks, $25 autograph lines, $30 extra to get into the con an hour earilier, every person I spoke to trying to sell me a TF for WAAAY too much money. And every TF in every store in a 20 mile radius cleared out and moved to the dealers room for triple price. This whole thing is just GREED personified for 3 days.

5. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    People who are assholes online tend to be much meeker in person. Maybe it's the increased probability of being punched in the face when they act a jerk that does it.

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Weird, how come from other person I talk to, I hear the opposite. Whom to believe hmm..

I really hope you aren´t doing the old "my experience validates my opinion regardless of what other do or say." Cause you tend to do that a lot.

7. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I was pretty underwhelmed until the Amazon Unicron was revealed. Then the drooling started.

8. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    botcon doesn't exist to reveal new product. It's a convention, not Toy Fair. Basing your expectations for it based on this is a far too easy road to disappointment.

Seems there was loads of cool stuff happening at Botcon this year, with a great lineup of guests. I wish I was there.

Amazing that people can be disappointed by this.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    People are probably more dissapointed that they couldn't go, so all they got to go on is sitting at their computer waiting for the new product reveal.

They can't feel the Botcon exepirence no matter what they do. I've never been to Botcon and i wish i could go, one year!!!!!

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

In person I'm sure it's geek Nervona and a blast. Okay provided that you know the rule of all conventions that fun does require some small effort on your part.

From the stand point of the folks at home who can't make it for whatever reason it seems like we aren't getting any real juicy news that you would expect out of such a big Transformers only event. It seems like all the really big show off the cool new Transformers toy is coming from Comic Con now.

The card board cut out of the Prime style characters like Prowl was really exciting because it's something we haven't seen before. But since I'm not into the film related stuff, Prime toys were just of characters we've seen on the show, and no big news out of Generations except for the "I'm not dead yet" statement we heard back at Toy Fair not much is jumping out as oh gosh I wasn't expecting that I've got to have it except for the 3rd party stuff.

11. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In terms of production reveals, it was very weak. But in terms of the actual CON itself. One of the best.

12. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    This is quite true.

I'm not a particuarly social person - I'd love to go one year though - just to experiance it. And if I'm dissapointed - I at least tried it. :) 

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I need to finish my Jetfire costume if I ever go.

And by finish I mean start.

14. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well i was looking forward to some dotm reveals. air raid sounds....interesting at best. deluxe leadfoot/twin twist was a great surprise. but of course we don't see pics.

Prime, while interesting, was not a surprise. Only surprise was zombie cliff repaint. otherwise, we all knew it was coming.

i liked the exclusives.
    masterpiece rodimus looks cool.

15. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not to disappointing, I mean the unicron reveal was probably worth it alone

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Exactly. :D 

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Product reveals during movie years are often disappointing, because (if movie hasn't premiered yet) They have to get clearance from the Paramount spoiler police for just about everything, and there's not necessarily a lot else to show when the movie line is taking priority. I didn't make it this year (since Botcon went all coastal), but it sounds like the Prime toy reveals were pretty good (just maybe not in the display case).

I've had the "letdown" feeling once or twice at Botcons when I didn't get 'enough' exciting reveals, or didn't find the toy I was looking to buy, but I know conventions are about the experience, the spectacle, and the interaction, so disappointment is often more on the individual than the con organizers or presenters.

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Nah dude, you got it all wrong. Conventions are all about greed! It´s all greed!!!

19. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

when is tfcon?

20. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I went to last year's con in Orlando, and here's my two cents. I think Hasbro did a better job of splitting up the product reveals between their two panels. We got a few Generations reveals in one panel, and a few reveals in the second panel, so it didn't feel like this years where they may potentially just reveal everything in their second panel. Who's to say.

I think there were extremely huge expectations for this year's botcon. Its right before the 3rd move is released. Its right before the LAST (supposed) movie is released. Its in CA where all the hollywood people are located, etc etc. I was quite honestly a bit suprised at how low key this one was. I was expecting maybe a panel with Bay, maybe have a couple of the movie actors do a token appearance in a panel with Bay perhaps (I mean, it is about move publicity). I was quite frankly surprised that they only showed 5 mins of the movie either. I was definitely expecting to hear that they showed the first half of the film, if not the whole film. Not 5 mins and a clip show. That's why I think people are so disappointed in this con, if they are.

Also, while the decision to use a purely animated theme (mostly) for the exclusives can be debated to no end, I was actually disappointed in what WAS chosen from animated for the exclusives. Toxitron and Fistitron (or whatever they're named)? Two characters that are non-existant in the cartoon aside from some obscure reference in a comic? What about finishing off all the seekers? I'm sure a choice of Slipstream, or Dirge or Thrust would have been far better choices for exclusives. Or how about even just doing a US deco of Blackout? I think things like that would have made the figures that much more desired and appreciated.

Has anyone heard word about how turnout was this year?