Mospeada: Who else collects?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by wheeljaxx, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

GOD, i paid in full for these back in June, and i'm STILL waiting on AmiAmi to send them out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

So...in your opinion, is it worth 250 dollars?

3. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I realize this might be a better question for this thread - What's the best Genesis Climber Mospeada figure? Specifically of the Ride Armor, I mean. The Sentinel one looks great but seems to vary from the source material, then there's that Variable Action one..

4. Legate

Legate Plastic Crack Addict

Sentinel.
    Even with the qc issues, it's still the best-looking and most effective Ride Armor we've gotten yet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Really difficult question...
    Really tempted to answer "i don't know".
    Basically it boils down to this:
    If you like to handle your models a lot, and you're not a Mospeada hardcore fan, maybe it's not worth it...

6. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Well worth it IMO. This is what I've been waiting over 35 years of my life for and I can't wait to get the Tread that will combine with it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    The Sentinel does vary from the source material, but I have to agree it's the "best" one out there. It has a few minorly annoying or fiddly bits, but every Mospeada does. However, the Sentinel holds together great in both modes, its fully painted, has a decent amount of, and smartly used diecast. The rider to bike proportion ratio is excellent, and fully combined Ride Armor is decently articulated and well balanced. I also find mounting the armor onto the rider is fairly easy and less frustrating than the previous options.

Following that, the Beagle/MPC is definitely the next best option. It is easily the most accurate to the show in terms of sculpt and colors. The rider is also very nicely proportioned to the bike. However, the plastic-ish coating on the rider's cloth suit is notorious for peeling off from too much posing. It also has a few fiddly parts, and is very difficult to mount the armor to the rider without removing the head. It's also nearly all molded color plastic, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just looks a little more toylike than the Sentinel. Honestly, I didn't think anyone would ever top this version as my "favorite", especially because it is so show accurate. However, Sentinel delivered such a stellar product, I don't even mind the redesign.

I'd put the CM's next in the line...but way, way down. It's very "Ok" to "mediocre". They're tiny, very fiddly, and commonly prone to breaking. The rider's look pretty ridiculous on the undersized bikes. But, they do look very show accurate in Ride Armor mode, and the colors are pretty damn accurate. These things were overpriced when they were released, and aftermarket at one point, put them into ridiculous territory. If you can get one for under $30, I'd say that's kinda decent....just for the sake of owning one. Maybe. However, it's also worth nothing that, still, CM's is the only way to get a full lineup of every Ride Armor variant.

The Megahouse one is easily the worst option you can get. Poor build quality, terrible proportions in all modes, plus lots of partsforming. These are the only "modern" Ride Armors I've never bought...even sales as low as $20 couldn't get me to bite based on how many bad things I heard about them. And they just look terrible. Like really terrible.

• Like Like x 2
  8. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    The red Legioss better have better tolerance than the blue one, and then rerelease the blue with same tolerance.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

Actually, that Fabric is "Pleather" and it is, while great-looking when new, a material to throughly avoid in the long run,
    as it rapidly deteriorates with age, regardless of how gingerly one might look after it.

i feel deeply indeed for the 1/3 VOLKS Dollfie fans out there with their $1000.00-plus VOCALOID and THE IDOLMASTER character dolls,
    as most of them feature Pleather-laden clothing...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  10. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I picked up a Diamond Select Iron Giant today and the microscopic Hogarth figure that comes with him renewed my disappointment with the lack of paint on the pilot that comes with the Legioss. Look at how clean and detailed the paint is on this thing. This is the kind of detail I would expect from an expensive high end company and not from a DS accessory. Imagine how nice the pilot and his ride armor would look with this level of paint.

F3AA2712-14C8-47E6-86DD-382BECFD74B6.jpeg 1860E179-17D6-415B-A40C-0E1B46E67419.jpeg

I don’t mean to harp on Sentinel, I think they decided the pilot could either be articulated or fully painted and not both. Would have been nice to also get a static pilot (Standing and seated) that was fully painted.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sup3hobo

Sup3hobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was definitely a strange choice on Sentinel's part to not paint the pilot. I feel there was back and forth going on internally between the designers and the head honchos of the company. I can't quite tell if it was a budget-saving move or an homage to the 1/35 grey gakken pilot.

I recently got ahold of some of that kiki joint tightener stuff and applied some to the legioss' lateral hip joints and a bit more to the ankles and now these joints are really tight and snug. The matte varnish I originally used in the ankles helped a lot, but it needed a bit more friction to get how I wanted it and the kiki stuff really solidified them.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Thanks for reminding me to get some of that. Last time I checked the seller was out but I see he has more now. Just ordered a bottle.

13. Sup3hobo

Sup3hobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice! That stuff has been the latest crack for toy collectors. I've been trying it on a variety of things so far. Seems to work pretty well on ball joints. On hinges, it's kind of hit or miss.

• Like Like x 2
  14. tekering

tekering The Ref

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    challenge accepted.jpg
    doable.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. MasterScale

MasterScale Loose, comes with baggage...

Pardon me if I'm not reading between the lines, but is the Variable Action version not good or something?

16. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I thought it was a good option, but @Jarrod did a fantastic write up and didn't exactly recommend it, and I watched quite a few reviews after my post and decided that, especially for the asking price, I would rather get a different one.

17. MasterScale

MasterScale Loose, comes with baggage...

Ah - thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chinpark

chinpark Member

19. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

20200829_010927.jpg 20200829_005132.jpg 20200829_004330.jpg 20200829_002728.jpg 20200829_001845.jpg 20200829_001326.jpg 20200829_000923.jpg 20200828_225953.jpg 20200828_222650.jpg

#GLORIOUS

• Like Like x 5
  20. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

So I got my Sentinel Yellow ride armor yesterday. Popped him out of the box and I really love how it looks right out of the box. The shoulder armor popping off is a bit annoying, but I see that Scorched Earth also pointed that out in his review. I'm slightly scared transforming the bike after watching his review videos. I also do wish there was an easy way to store the alternative head and rifle, but guess it will go into the hobby boxes with all the other random accessories from my Transformers and Macross toys.

First glance though is that I'm happy I finally have a ride armor in my collection. Honestly I don't really notice the little changes they made to the armor/bike as much as I thought I would in photos. Probably because it is so cool in person.

• Like Like x 1