More Unique Robot

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by hup2thepenguin, Jul 11, 2014.

1. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

How do people feel about the more unique robot designs, meaning the ones that aren't bipedal humanoids? ROTF had a few unicycle bots, and in DOTM there were a couble of quadruped Deceptions, but none were actually prominent or got a toy. I'd like to see some quadrupeds or other non-bipedal toys that aren't beast modes, but their actual robot modes and can turn into vehicles. I think it'd be a pretty cool thing, as you'd think a machine race that can turn into anything can take on a different form.

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For Transformers I don't like it. If Transformers are living robots that evolved over time instead of something that was purpose built then it seems like there would be a good deal of standardization like in humans. Humans were able to become great tool makers because there might be a bit of variation in height, weight, and pigmentation, but the number of arms, fingers, eyes, and such are fairly standard.

If it's not Transformers then I'm more open to going wild with designs. I've watched enough Gundam, Zoids, and other anime series to be used to every robot or mech doesn't have to come in standard human form. But even then there are designs I love and designs I hate. R2D2 and the astromech line is cool but the Battle Droids are a rotten design.

3. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

I might have to disagree with you. I think a species that can vary in any form could accomplish much more. If a species could choose to have changes in body (such as more limbs), a lot more could be accomplished depending on the task. And I like Battle Droids a lot more than astromechs...

4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I love them! I've always preferred animal/monster/abstract characters to human(-like) ones, and Transformers already has a long history of non-humanoid bots anyways.

5. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I'm cool with some of the more experimental designs, but I generally want a somewhat human form under it all (or animal, if that's it's thing). I think I personally draw the line is when a funky, non-human design becomes a "gimmicky" design. It's a subjective thing, but hey, it's how I feel. I also like to factor in the ability to make a toy out of it. Some designs are cool on-screen, but I still want a playable toy too.

Take ROTF Demolishor/Scavenger. He's a pretty cool descruction machine and a great action set piece, but his design poorly translates to a fun toy (regardless of the actual toy's quality, I mean the design itself doesn't lend itself to a great toy, any toy). With ROTF Rampage the design is cool again, but the idea of a dude who is just a jackhammer is a little dumb and gimmicky. Not to mention you can't stand him up on just the "jackhammer's tip". I personally like to keep the toy in his four-legged "centaur" mode, and I would have been okay with this as his default mode and he could just convert his front legs into a jackhammer as an attack mode. I guess that's something I like - if you're going to have a non-traditional robot mode, have a more traditional one too. Demolishor/Scavenger would be a lot more fun of a toy if he had a regular robot mode too.

All the same, if it's a background "extra" that will never get a toy, go nuts.

6. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I really like the idea of unique transformers designs. Devcon, Overload, Demolisher, the idea with having Transformers that are in different styles is one that I really like.

7. Apocalyptic PhD

Apocalyptic PhD Adamite

I like to think that Cybertronians are not as a whole a monolithic group as a Human is, but more comparable to an entire Animal Kingdom of arbitrarily equal class of Problem Solving and Sentience mentalities but different races. That there are various lineages of Cybertronians that took certain naturally selected traits and etc. You can forget about this now that the "Quintesson" concept ruins this. Of course it doesn't make sense but it is interesting.

8. Apocalyptic PhD

Apocalyptic PhD Adamite

double post

9. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    I loved the experimental vibe from the RotF designs and thought it was a shame they dialed it back by the fourth movie.

10. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    In almost all the TF histories I can remember, they WERE designed for specific duties, (hence the varying differing parts and kibble, right?) and didn't "evolve" into bipeds.

If they had evolved into the perfect techno-organic form, they'd all look the same.

I say bring on the variety!

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If there was more than just one of the unique robots then I could swing with it better. Say if there was an entire group of cyclops robots then you could say well Shockwave isn't a mutant he's a member of the many different species on Cybertron.

I think Animated sort of messed around with the idea since they explained Bulkhead and Bumblebee were from different robotic families. Implying that families will show different family traits so that Lugnut's family would have the same look as Lugnut.

G1 seemed to have mutant powers so I'm guessing the G1 excuse is hey if you are going to have mutant powers like teleporting then you get some physical mutants as well.

I guess the movies though like most Transformers series just can't take into account all the billion questions we'd have as fans but that the average person wouldn't put much thought into. A bit like how Trekkies want to know how the warp engines work but the average person is just eh whatever gets there.

12. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

I prefer Humanoid bodies and faces. I don't like the animalistic and insectoid look of some of the bots.

13. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind a few more of the animal type TFs, as long as they're not too freaky. I was hoping that four-legged Dread 'con in DOTM would be released as a toy.

I was also hoping we'd get a deluxe Ravage that turned into a car.

That could be a category of it's own - beastbots with vehicle alts.

14. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

I love them and hope they make more appearances.

15. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    It depends how far they take it, for instance the Hightower concept art was too silly.

To me Rampage looked very nice and loved how guns transformed out of his hands. The movie should have made more use of his driller for legs though, a lot of potential was there.

Demolishor was basically composed of two giant wheels, but it worked I definitely didn't mind him.

The little micro Decepticons that Ravage released were cool too, it kind of showed advancedment in their technology. Once they all joined together and became Reedman, that kinda surprised me a bit.

Reedman impressed me a bit because it shows the infinite abilities some transformers can be capable of.

16. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wouldn't want too many bots to be like it but I think the odd ones here and there are quite cool. Of course if they aren't given well written personalities then it doesn't matter what they look like.

17. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

How about no? Even the humanoid designs leave a lot to be desired

18. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

An excessive amount of irregular Transformers kills their uniqueness.