More Than Meets the Eye #52 full preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sockie, Apr 22, 2016.

1. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    What if Tarn is Dion? The guy that's been debated to be Ultra Magnus in WoH? Granted he hasnt appeared in IDW but considering Dion was depicted as Orion's friend in the cartoon it wouldn't surprise me. Plus I kinda dont want it to be Roller. Good drama but expected at this point.

EDIT: I know Dion wasn't rebuilt in WoH

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

However disappointing this issue might turn out to be overall, Ravage piloting the rescue ship just made it worth the price of admission. :D 

zmog

3. grindcore138

grindcore138 TIME TO DELIVER A PIZZA BALL!

News Credits:
    Shit's about to go down, son!
    As if the image of Ravage piloting the ship wasn't funny enough, I just noticed his tail controlling the throttle-lever-thingy as well :lol 

Oh, give it a rest already. We get it, MTMTE's existence upsets you an unreasonable amount. How about going and posting about stuff you actually like for a change instead of bitching about something so utterly inconsequential to your life?

4. Kafuka Fuura

Kafuka Fuura Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both Ambus and the first Ultra Magnus had already been very "successful" before they disappeared. They don't really need Megatron's help to realize their potential or greatness.

I think Tarn is the original Elita-One XD

5. Theonlycyclonus

Theonlycyclonus Find,kill,cleanse

News Credits:
    I'm ready for this fight tarn vs megatron. Wouldn't be surprised either if kaon doesn't hurt or fight one of his own members for the pet . Poor kaon

6. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

My first guess was Rollar since the time traveling arc, but now I think it's Terminus, Megatron's mining mentor. He's the one who convinced Megatron to write and take violent action against the Senate in protest. When their workplace collapsed due to Brainstorm warping in time, everyone evacuated, but Terminus was nowhere to be found. Despite being without limbs, he managed to vanish without a trace. Not only that, Megatron revised Towards Peace with Terminus stricken from the records, erasing him from history unknowingly. Megatron revised it again when he became an Autobot stating that Terminus was unfairly written out.

7. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Megatron called Tarn his student--his relationship with Terminus was the exact other way around. Also, Megatron's lines about how he "turned" Tarn to hurt someone make no sense if it's Terminus. Everything's screaming Roller.

8. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    They only forgot about the recent past - which my impression was, basically restricted to the last few hours or so when they met up with Rodimus, so while they might have forgotten that something happened to him, they do remember him overall.

9. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

Finally

Practically all the evidence points to Roller, so suddenly introducing Dion to prove the "Roller-is-Tarn" theory feels like a major asspull.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Still hope Tarn is isn't Roller.

It makes too much sense, I want to see Roberts pull something no one saw coming.

11. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    That would really annoy me, tbh. What's the point on presenting the mystery of "Who is this character's true identity?" if the answer is something it was impossible for the readers to work out themselves? There's no fun in it and really just makes everything about the mystery a total waste of time until that point.

12. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

If Tarn turns out to not be Roller it had better darn make sense. At this point saying "Surprise! It's really (me, Dio)!" would be completely unsatisfying unless every hint on Tarn's true identity also applied to Roller.

13. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

"You thought it was Roller, but it was me, Dion!"

14. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

The problem is that the isssue with Terminus' disappearance in the mines remains unsolved. Did he die? Where did he go? Is he a hidden agent to some faction, or laying low?

I might of forgotten, but I'm torn on who he is. It's a bit obvious that Rollar's Tarn, but Tarn's seemingly close connection to Megatron makes me think it's someone else.

Remember what Sentinel Prime said in DOTM while on Earth; "I'm no longer your teacher Optimus. You are mine." Perhaps Terminus had something to learn from Megatron's new found ideology?

15. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Man, if Tarn is Dominus Ambus, that makes Slaughterhouse one fucked up insight into his head making Rewind of all people film it. And that would also mean he knowingly killed his own brother too with the injuries on the corpse of Ultra Magnus being specifically inflicted, as on the alternate Lost Light the true identity of Ultra Magnus was already known early into the quest.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    A good mystery provides clues throughout the story but the reader isn't supposed to recognise them as clues until after the big reveal.

"Oh! Now I see it!" rather than "Meh. Knew it all along."

17. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I agree. It would be deeply unsatisfying if it wasn't Roller.

And while the clues may have been clear to some they won't have been to others. I started reading MTMTE as a casual reader and didn't even really think about Roller or who Tarn was to start off with as a question that I needed answering. It was only when I got more into it and looked at forums like this that I started consciously putting bits together and thinking yeah, it probably is him.

18. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    No, they should be obvious enough to be followed for those who look for them... That's the entire point on having an ongoing mystery like Tarn's identity... but if it's not Roller than we've just been treated to endless red herrings just so there can be an unexpected twist. There have been just too many hints for them to be a coincide and for it to be anyone else without a damn good explanation.

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I agree with you... it would be annoying to have a last minute shock twist reveal if it felt like it was only there to mess with the readers.

But that doesn't mean that red herrings are totally out. Mysteries often rely on just that sort of thing... the obvious thing that all the clues are pointing to, distracting us from the less obvious thing that also makes sense.

In this case, I feel like Roller is the obvious candidate... but Dominus Ambus could also be a good possibility as well. After all, he was a famous 'humanitarian' thinker who joined the Autobots as soon as he got back to Cybertron... if Megatron was able to 'turn' him by convincing him to embrace the Decepticon philosophy, that would be a personal victory. However, it seems like Dominus' fate was a big mystery, so the value of turning someone high-profile like that is somewhat lost if you never tell anyone about it.

As well, the LL2 massacre could be quite telling. Magnus/Minimus was killed by someone who knew everything about him, including his recall trigger. Rewind, out of the entire crew, was spared. It has been observed that Rewind 2 has also been a bit cooler towards Chromedome 1. Could it be that he knows the truth now? Is Rewind 2 actually reliable?

It's also never been really established who else might know Tarn's real identity. There was an insinuation that Prowl already knew. It may be more of a secret to readers, than to many of the characters.

I hope we find out soon...

zmog

20. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Having seen Tarn's sense of 'mercy' already in Skids Grindcore flashback and putting that with the Slaughterhouse massacre, especially the killing of Ultra Magnus by someone who clearly knew his secret and the 'sparing' of Rewind (who nonetheless is forced to record all the deaths including that of his current lover, for refusing to erase his memories of Rewind no less IIRC - of course if we can trust Rewind 2's narrative) swings me to some kind of Ambus connection.
    It seems to me very much like the right kind of twisted for a lover's revenge, sparing your Ex but leaving them without the one they love. Especially if that former lover has flipped/converted to an extremist killer.