More Than Meets the Eye #28 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Abrogate, Apr 29, 2014.

1. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Even positive technology, in the hands of the irresponsible, can be applied with destructive results. Yoink!

2. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    How dare he? Doesn't he know how anal we are about things like this? Doesn't he know?!?! Roberts hates us, it's the only explanation.

So who do we all think Whirl's reporting too? Someone who wants to test Megatron, someone who has enough sway to actually get Whirl to do something for him! I reckon he might just be reporting straight to Prime himself.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    It's super werid to me because I ADORED her MTMTE covers as well as her work in Maximum Dinobots/Chaos Theory/Space Opera/LSOTW but the preview pages just do nothing for me :/

I'm hoping that I end up liking it more over the course of season 2 because hey there was a time when I didn't like Josh and now he's my favourite IDW colourist so you never know...

But yeah as far as it stands #28 is easily the most amazing looking MTMTE issue so far (that Megatron trial spread is INSANE) and I could frame ever page of it and there is just so much fun things going on in it that I'm still trying to make sense of it all.

For starts Roberts FINALLY got to do the Ravage stowaway he wanted all the way back in season 1 (yay!) and I think that "blackout" page is much more than a simple blackout.

It reminded me of the '86 movie Unicron scaning scene.

The missing letters reminds me of a good ol' RTD style Doctor Who background mystery a la Bad Wolf which is always fun.

Nautica is my favourite new crew-member and I can't wait to see her meet Perceptor I bet they're going to give more than a few bots an aneurysm :lol 

So glad we have regular MTMTE back. Once I get used to Joana I'm betting it's going to be a super fun ride :) 

4. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:

I'm curious as to what the plan was.

"he didn't bite". It's made explicit that he was trying to provoke Megatron but to what end?

'he can't be trusted as Captain of the ship. look he beat up Whirl!' doesn't seem that compelling with Whirl's reputation.

5. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Also, I'm just reading the scene near the start with Autobot High Command (and Starscream) and I'm thinking there'd be a lot of dramatic potential in Ratchet being the one working with Whirl. Nice hand wringing conflict for him, if nothing else.

6. Faizan

Faizan 2 of 12

I think that would be out of character for Ratchet don't you think? and even though this scene would suggest that its Prowl in the shadows, its something Robert would do personally to throw everyone off.

Also given the relationship between Optimus and Megatron, it would be even stranger for Optimus to have ordered it.

I personally feel that the trial resulted in splinter cell within the autobots who want to take Megatron out. It could easily be people from either the wreckers or the peace corps.

7. Impactor1106

Impactor1106 WRECKER

News Credits:
    Hell, maybe it is Impactor or someone else from the Wreckers that is using Whirl with the promise he will be brought back into the Wreckers!! - Great issue, glad to have MTMTE back and I cannot wait for the next issue.

8. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol if so then wow at my folly

but I will point out the N- ought is the ONLY use of a hyphen in that entire two page spread of rewinds message, I think it's deliberate that there is a glitch in the phrasing at that point.

in this latest issue, we see Chromedome listen to the message twice while skids and Nightbeat are standing outside talking about how Chromedome has isolated himself since they left Cybertron. note that this scene happens today in the book. Both times rewinds says I love you at the end of the recording ( in fact James even lays it down old school that Chromedome is listening to the recording over and over by writing CHU-CHUK when it repeats the second time- do you think a data slug makes a sound like a cassette tape when you repeat a recording? cause computers don't when you replay a file.)) the implication in my mind is that Chromedome has been obsessively listening to this recording since they left Cybertron.

later on in the same 'today', while Megatron and ring discuss little edits, Chromedome hears someone scream when he should have heard rewinds say I LOVE YOU . the recording has changed, not just from what we originally heard in issue 16, but from what we heard twice earlier in the same issue. in the exact same panel that Megatron says every day little edits (bold by name Roberts, not me) Chromedome hears someone scream instead of rewind saying I love you.

really? just a mistake? you don't think James is trying to imply something there? it stores a little heavy handed to me.

also the coffin they find at the end of this issue. looks similar to the coffins we first saw in issue 16, except this random coffin is not all smooth, symmetrical, and shiny like the one pipes was in. this coffin looks like someone pieced together a container from 6 other coffins, and yes pieces of the people that were in the coffins to hold it all together.

I stand by my theory, maybe not every little point, but the overall idea pieces together. I just got to ask Chris mcfeely diff you read my wall of text post I posted overnight?

9. Sonic Warfare

Sonic Warfare Hydrobot

Nice catch

10. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Well, no, obviously there was an edit there, but that's not what we were discussing. The stuff about the N- being changed to just 0.8 is not supposed to be anything more then to make it easier to read as one large chunk and the missing "about" is just a tiny mistake. Chris McFeely is probably 100% correct about how that happened.

11. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    I'm don't think I do. It's a plausible facet for a character that has dealt with four million years of fatally wounded Autobots that he's tried to save and failed and the responsibility for it all lies on this person that's escaped 'justice'.

Along with his grumpiness, the main defining trait of Ratchet has been his compassion. I guess the assumption would be that this compassion would even extend to Megatron. I know I got a mild surprise when he described Megatron still being alive as depressing rather than amazing. If his compassion is for the dead rather than Megatron and he has a sense of justice not being carried out then I can really see it being him working with Whirl.

For the record, I expect I'm wrong and that Roberts will utterly confound me but it still feels like a rational guess.

12. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean come on. Crewditions.

CREWDITIONS.

ACK.

<3

13. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Just one more thing, Columbo style.

I'm listening to the Underbase podcast and noticed Chris Mcfeely mentioning Phobos as a name that, like Terminus, hasn't come up before. He's actually mentioned in Rewind's "historical context" at the start of Shadowplay; "The Primal Vanguard is embroiled in the Phobos controversy". My own reading was that Phobos was a disgraced commander or some other such military ranking within the Primal Vanguard.

14. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Love this issue. I'm particularly fond of comics that make me laugh out loud. (suicide by face palm, HA!)

So, the main suspects for who Whirl is reporting to, as accumulated from this thread:

Prowl (but too obvious)
    Starscream
    Soundwave(through Ravage, and the one I initally thought was the answer)
    Rodimus
    Optimus
    Ratchet
    Impactor

I'd like to add

Ultra Magnus (being what appears to be second in command, he'd want to make sure the captain is "following the right course")

or possibly

Perceptor (who was able to adapt and change his function due to circumstantial events, and wants to see if it could happen twice in a bot, i.e. having Whirl beat up Megatron, the events/actions that initally switched on Megatron's brutality would do it again now that he has renounced those ways)

15. Meister5

Meister5 Lost Light-er

News Credits:
    In his fight with Whirl, Megatron mentions that 'others tried to save' him. I'm thinking that Terminus was one of those others. He must have been someone whose opinion Megatron respected but when he tried to turn him away from his new, violent, path, Megatron rejected him.

I love the subtle way this first issue tries to explain how a genocidal despot would suddenly make such a complete heel-turn. Those comments about 'little edits', I think removing the dedication to Terminus was Megatron's first one, as a way of editing his old way of thinking and asserting the new worldview that Whirl introduced to him. Which each little edit, he got further and further away from the original meaning of his polemic without even realizing it. So when the results of the war force him to finally realize how distorted beyond repair his original vision was, he decides to throw the whole thing out and start from scratch.

16. Toonimator

Toonimator Well-Known Member

So much has been said already, but nobody pointed out Megatron's new armament? In the x-ray pic, he's got a pair of pistols on his thighs. The kinda look like revolvers. Those black flaps hanging from his hips are (aesthetically, if not actually) holsters! Nice change from the usual fusion cannon.

Prime hyper-focusing on the destruction of half of the Matrix, seemingly paying little attention to the fact it saved the lives of every "knock-off"... letters vanishing from signage, other things (and people?!) going missing... changes to Rewind's message...

Re: the message from #16, I don't think there is any hidden significance to the original message's "n-" "ought" split; it's how Rewind cobbled together "nought" for "nought point eight" (another sign of a British author shining thru; most of us 'Mericans would've said "zero point eight" or "oh point eight" or even just "point eight" :p ), since he didn't have footage of anyone saying the actual word "nought" (I suppose Rewind was being exceedingly particular about the pronunciation, otherwise he could've easily used someone saying "not"--but in written form, the meaning might not have been as clear to the readers in that case)

I think Whirl's speaking to someone else on the ship; they've got better communication systems, now, but I don't think anyone can just call Cybertron or Earth while roaming the corridors. So Prowl & Prime are out. Rodimus is also obviously disqualified, since Whirl mentions him as a 3rd party.

Don't open the coffin!

17. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    So zombie Pipes then?

18. GingerSynapse

GingerSynapse Well-Known Member

a little bit sick...a little bit shot...a little bit zombified...

Man I cannot WAIT to see what Megatron's "Grand Statement" was...

I loved the exchange between Megs and Whirl...man if Whirl wasn't seriously messed up before...I really want to see how he deals with that.

Also, I'm wondering if these edits...the message from Rewind, the missing letters...if this doesn't have some anomaly to do with the Lost Light itself, the history Nightbeat alluded to, some kind of stain left by the dark Cybertron arc.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    It's the same coffin design from LSOTW, as well.

20. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't know why people are expressing surprise or trying to read too much into that to be honest. Most coffins here on Earth are, well, coffin shaped, I don't know why anyone would expect Autobot coffins to all be unique. This one certainly looks like it's been tampered with though, which is probably why it's been brought on board. Surely they'd leave it otherwise since the whole point of firing them into space is to let them drift through space.