More realistic Transformers cartoon

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kazak, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Kazak

Kazak Member

Hello, folks.
    I've created this topic, because I had to throw this out of myself. My God, what I would give to see new TF cartoon without this caricaturated design. I just can't bear look of them, when I saw Starscream and Soundwave in Prime, i was like WTF. Last time when Autobots and Decepticons looked like giant robots from space was in Unicron Trilogy. It was pretty weak, but at least they looked decent, TFP is pretty good, but my eyes are bleeding. Oh Jesus, what I would give to see cartoon with IDW G1 design, or totally upgraded CGI from Beast Wars. Transformers from Beast Machines and anything after Unicron Trilogy looks disgusting to me, and I can't take any pleasure in watching new cartoons.

Now I feel much better. Regards.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    How do you feel about the Machinima series?

3. Kazak

Kazak Member

You mean Titans Return? From a trailer it actually look nice. That's something what I needed. But it isn't official, right?

4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    The visual part of any production can always turn people of the story.
    I had trouble enjoying the Animated aesthetic at first. The irony is that by the time I got over it I got annoyed by the story being so much fanwank :) 

I don't really see what realism has to do with what you're describing though

• Like Like x 1
  5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Machinima series is indeed official. Hasbro, Peter Cullen as Optimus, Judd Nelson as Hot Rod, yeah. It's ugly as sin and animated to give you motion sickness, but yeah, it's official.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I thought the TF: Prime designs were fairly realistic, and it's my personal view that the more "realistic" the fiction gets, the more complex the designs of the Transformers have to be to fit into the world they're creating. To me, at least, the G1 and Unicron Trilogy designs looked more like anime super-robots, whereas the Prime and live-action Movie Transformers feel more like real cybernetic beings from another planet.

I wouldn't mind if the next series after Cyberverse had a darker tone and more realistic designs, but for what Cyberverse looks to be (a show that younger kids can still watch), the stylized G1 + RID aesthetic works.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Defensis Prime

Defensis Prime Psychotic Completist®

I think the only series with which one could even vaguely 'get away' with referring to the designs as caricatures was Animated. Applying that word to any other series...no, it's not something I can take seriously.

(Not even a little. Like meth.)

8. Kazak

Kazak Member

English is not my language, so I lack words that would express my thoughts precisely. I would like to see more mature design of Transformers look. I'm not saying that everything is bad, but for example, I can't look at Starscream and Soundwave from TFP. That's just not my style. I've checked this Cyberverse, because I was intrigued by thought that it is suppose to be similar to G1, and when I saw toys models my thoughts were: "Ohhh, something interesting at last". Then I came across how they'll actually look in cartoon and my enthusiasm fell because of this slender, childish appearance. But I like it more than Prime, so this one I'll watch. At least I will try.

By "realistic" I meant mature and awe-inspiring. For me, perfect design of Transformers is in IDW G1 comics. I would give everything for cartoon in this style (or Beast Wars style upgraded to modern standards). I've read that Prime Wars Trilogy isn't really good in term of animation, but that's a start, Cyberverse also interested me.

9. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

I don't get this. Prime was pretty much the closest we've gotten to IDW G1 bot designs, they're also the most "realistic" without going nuts and looking like Bayverse shit. You want IDW-esque bot design? Prime is it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kazak

Kazak Member

I'm not saying that it's bad overall. I was interested in it, until I saw Starscream and Soundwave. They just throw me off so much, I can't break myself to watch this cartoon.

11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    So what you actually mean is that you prefer robust, powerful looking robot designs?

12. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    And spikey, if talking about IDW. Don't forget spikey...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

IDW isn't "spikey" though.

14. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    To my eyes, it is. Perhaps the better term is "sharp". What would normally look like pipes suddenly look like knives to me, for instance. Rounded features in other media is represented as coming to points. G1 Hot Rod vs IDW Hot Rod is a good example.

15. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

That's art style from a specific artist of a specific character design. It is not indicative of an overall aesthetic. G1 IDW doesn't look like that, not even Rodimus. So, no. That's a terrible example to illustrate your point. You seem to be talking about later series and artist designs and not G1 IDW.
    TFvol1_2cvrA.jpg IDW_TF_vol1.jpg TFvol1_1cvrA.jpg

16. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Everything in that left cover looks "sharp" to me. I'll grant you the middle one looks the least and the one on the right looks like a happy compromise between the left and the middle.

But that's just the overall impression I'm left with. (And despite using G1 characters, none of those characters look anymore G1 than Armada or Prime. I REALLY wish IDW would quit trying to claim some sort of connection to that era. Glad it's over.)

17. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I agree that Beast Machines Transformers are the ugliest ever (though I actually like Optimus Primal's design). But most of your post implies that you wouldn't like Beast Wars designs, except you say that you like them. Can you explain this? To me, Beast Wars and G1 style designs are completely different.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kazak

Kazak Member

I don't see it, tbh. For me they are pretty similar, except G1 is hand draw and BW computer generated. Also Autobots/Decepticons have vehicle features and Maximals/Predacons animal.

19. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Oh, okay. That's interesting. I never thought that.

20. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Oh. I thought you meant more realistic in tone. As in they're fighting a war and its ugly and sad and reflects the war with bits of heartwarming camaraderie and inspiring bits of heroism and nuance in the characters.

Rather then all Autobots are inherently good and all cons are monsters and the bad guys always lose.

• Like Like x 1