More detailed pics of Optimus knockoff....

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by godsenddeath, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Man, these knock-offs are pretty impressive with respect to the level of detail; with the obvious exception being the price. It's pretty hard to tell the difference from an untrained eye (i.e. most comic book/toy/collectible store dealers that I've dealt with).

I bought the Frenzy/Lazerbeak knock-off a while back for a reasonable amount, $40 CAD, (the dealer made me aware of its deception prior to me purchasing it) and I've got to tell you that it looks amazing from a display point-of-view (which I guess the whole point of these figures are), but the prices are sometimes too high. I found another dealer trying to sell the same F/L knock-off for $180 CAD and he thinks (or pretends to think) it's legit (I've told him otherwise; although he has yet to reduce the price).

I wouldn't mind seeing knock-offs of Mirage, Ironhide, Ratchet, and Sunstreaker released. I would ignore the moral issue of purchasing these since Takara and Hasbro insist most of these will never be re-issued because they've "lost" the molds (so it only seems fair to upgrade beat-up 80's versions with fairly accurate knock-offs like Frenzy in those most economical manner, as long as you don't try to re-sell it as vintage, of course).

2. Napjr

Napjr Mr. Internet Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, i dont think many have surfaced yet, so i doubt most people is getting this one. Although if they are $50 like the previous seller, they would sell like hot cakes

3. Straycat

Straycat TFQ Addict in Rehab

I'm amazed these are selling for $150--its a cool, well made KO, but it is still a KO. Actually, there haven't been any reports of just how sturdy these are, have there?

I would pay $50 for one, just because it would be cool to have for display, but not more.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Last I heard from Bickmore, he was still in denial insisting that all these "bootlegs" were either official Chinese releases or genuine vintage variants.

5. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thats just the seller markup. Last week, another seller had some i thnk, for just $50

$150 for a nice KO like this, is still extremely high

6. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    i'm not sure what's up with this, but if you look at the picture with the 2 figures, the one in the window has bigger pins holding in the front tires. The one with the yellow eyes has shorter pins.

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'm thinking about reporting him for charging 8% for Paypal. I'm pretty sure that's against policy.

8. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If im not mistaken, all the reissue Prime´s were an Ultra Magnus hybrid, since he had those pins to combine with the trailer. And it was cheaper to make a single mold to produce two figures

9. Rodr-Onslaught

Rodr-Onslaught Well-Known Member

Man, I'm scared about the -visual aspect- quality of this things.

10. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    you know what pisses me off, they didn't even bother using a g-1 Optimus Prime figure to make the knock off. They used the reissue mold with the wider front tires. That's just lazy. :( 

11. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Is it possible that the people who bought these didn't pay enough attention and thought they were real? I mean seriously, you could buy a real Prime for that much.

12. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

So, the only relatively easy way to tell these KOs apart from reissue Primes are the smokestacks? I'm thinking I'm missing something obvious since the first post states 'glaring omissions'

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

The auction mentions a future "all metal" version. That would be cool.

I wonder if these things are "lunch break specials".

14. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

Payment Surcharges

Sellers may not charge eBay buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of checks, money orders, electronic transfers or credit cards. Such costs should be built into the price of the item.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:
    Listing cancellation
    Limits on account privileges
    Account suspension
    Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
    Loss of PowerSeller status

Some Examples

Not permitted:
    Charging an extra fee to use a credit card instead of a check.
    Charging an extra fee to use PayPal.

Permitted:

A seller can add a surcharge to the final price of the item in three instances:

Shipping and Handling - Sellers may charge a reasonable shipping and handling fee to the final price of their item. A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. Shipping and handling fees cannot be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

Escrow - Sellers may pass along the costs associated with using escrow, if the buyer agrees to use escrow. Use caution when considering escrow. To avoid being deceived by fraudulent escrow services, use www.escrow.com, eBay's approved escrow service.

Different Currency - Sellers may choose to accept payment in a different currency than the currency listed on eBay. If the buyer chooses to take advantage of this optional payment method, the seller may pass along to the buyer any costs associated with the currency exchange, provided that the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer.

Note: Some types of payment surcharges are permitted on some of eBay's international sites.

Why does eBay have this policy?

This policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the full cost of an item. Furthermore, some forms of payment surcharges (such as credit card surcharges), are forbidden under the laws of many states, including California. These listings undermine the trust and legitimacy of eBay’s marketplace.

15. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Although the seller gives the option to choose either version, i would say one of the primes pictures might be a real deal... just to show how official it look, otherwise, both would look exactly the same, specially the pins

16. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Tempe, AZ
    Some of the coustom ones might have to be mine, Damnit I'm turning into the open box Elvin.

17. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I like the blue eyes and chest look. Looks great in box for a bootleg. But like others said before me way too much.

18. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena CyberCon is #1! Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmmm... I'll have to talk to him about that one. Anything, and I mean A*N*Y*T*H*I*N*G, can be reproduced in China if you have two things:

1) Money: Without it no factory (or small shop, it doesn't have to be a huge production) will take your "job"; plain and simple. It takes some time and capital to create molds and purchase material.
    2) Factory/Shop: No matter how much money you have you need to find a place to produce the product. It's not impossible as there are quite a few than can do it, it just take some time a patience to do so.

I personally know folks that have ventured out and created stuff similar to this and it looks surprisingly real. Granted, a lot depends on the quality of work from the factory; they have to accurately reproduce the size and color of the figure and box, but it's certainly not impossible.

EDIT: Another thing to notice is that all of the boxes for these KOs seem to have a bend at the flap in the rear. It's a clear sign that the machines being used to produce the boxes can't reproduce them without it. Granted, it may just be that these particular samples suffer from this "problem" but I personally think all of them will have that crease.

19. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They most likely found or stole usable molds, because otherwise, the price would be extremely high to make new and accurate molds for such small runs