More computer problems... please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eman7673, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Machine

Ok heres what happened. I unplugged my computer (tower, monitor, pretty much everything else hooked up to it) to move it all out of the basement in case there was flooding from the hurricane. I unplugged everything sunday morning and moved it all upstairs, and attempted to plug everything back in around 3 hours ago. We did lose power several times, but the computer and everything else was all unplugged before we lost power, so that can't be the cause of it. I believe I plugged in everything correctly (I'm not a computer expert by any means) and when I attempted to plug in the tower into the surge protector, the tower would not turn on at all.

Its a 5 year old HP Elite PC and I have never had any hardware problems whatsoever. The power strip was working because the monitor, printer, speakers, modem and router all had power. Where the power cord plugs into the back of the tower, there is a solid green light that stays lit, but nothing else happens. I was doing some reading online and I saw it could be a problem with the PSU. I reset the red voltage switch (from 115 to 230, and back to 115) and that didn't do anything. The only on/off button is on the top of the tower, and when I press that, nothing happens.

I have never taken a computer tower apart before and I am afraid to do it myself, so I wont take that chance. What do you guys think I should do now?

2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    On the back of the computer, is there a switch for the power supply? I don't know anything about your HP Elite PC....but I'd check that if there is one.

3. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Machine

Nah man no power switch.

[​IMG]

this is what it looks like in the back

aside from that green light going on, nothing else happens. No fan activity, no noise, nothing.

Its a HP Pavilion Elite m9060n for anyone who is wondering.

4. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

So when you attempt to turn it on - it does absolutely nothing?

No power light, fan noises, etc?

5. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    Stick it in it's USB port.

Seriously though, I had an HP laptop and it was going through the same kind of problems you're facing. It turned out to be HDD failure, which could be happening in your case too. Power cords could have shorted out, it's all too hard to say. Problem with computers is that any number of things could happen. I'd have a pro check it out or go to a tech based forum.

6. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Machine

Aside from the green light in the back, nothing.

7. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    thing should still do *something* even if the hard drive has died. whatever the case, if you aren't wanting to get in there yourself and start dismantling things (or at least checking that none of the internal power leads haven't gotten loose/disconnected), then you really are going to have to take it to a shop, where one of two things will happen:

A) it'll be a replaceable part. easy fix. cheaper if you did it yourself, but isn't that always the way?

B) it'll be irreparable because whatever part is needed, they can't (be bothered to) get a hold of anymore. they'll tell you to get a new machine. and show you the overpriced one in the window.

still think you'd be better taking it to a friend first and watch what they do so you can learn for yourself what goes on in a computer. it'll save you a bundle in the future even if you do still have to take it to a shop later.

8. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    and by 'shop' i mean an actual small-town stripmall computer repair shop (that's been where it is for a couple of years), not best buy or office max or any of the big-name places who WILL try to rip you off or sell you something you don't need.

also: if you're in college, your college IT department is most likely staffed by students who would love to help you out on-the-cheap too.

9. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Try plugging into wall socket on it's own. See if that works instead of the power strip. If it doesn't then your best bet is to bring it to a shop. It probably has something to do with the power supply. Either it's been shorted out or something.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'll bet moving it around made one of the power connections loose, like the one that goes to the power switch. All you have to do is open it up and reseat all the wire connectors that go to the motherboard. It's not hard, no expert needed, just unplug each one and plug it back in.

11. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Machine

I tried the wall socket already, still didn't work.

I bet this is it, this scenario makes the most sense. I haven't moved the thing in 5 years until sunday, and that could very well be the reason why. I'm taking it tomorrow to a friends house, hes an IT guy so we'll get to the bottom of things tomorrow, hopefully.

12. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Maybe tech support can help

13. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pop that bitch open after you unplug it from the wall.

1st- Check all connections. Make sure they are tight.
    2nd- Reseat Ram, pop them out and put them back the same way you took them out.
    3rd- Check processor, make sure you push it down.
    4TH – Lots of times when the motherboard is touching the case it stops it from booting do to a short. Usually they are on risers or washers. Just make sure all looks tight inside.
    Before you close the case try and boot it.

If you’re getting a green light from the power supply with no error beeps or post then I would think something is touching the motherboard before it has a chance to boot or the power supply or cpu is shot.
    If it was the Hard Drive, Ram or any media the OS would try and boot with error beeps. Your not even getting there so you have to start from the power.

Also change the power cable and try a different outlet all together.
    Good luck.

14. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I'm no expert, but I agree with these guys. It sounds like it coul be a bad/loose connection or a bad power supply.

15. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Machine

It was the PSU after all, my friend installed a new one for me and now its working just fine!