Morbius - Spider-Man Spinoff

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OmarJT82, Nov 13, 2017.

1. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I didn't care for either of the Venom movies, so I'm not expecting much from this. I do however think Leto is a great actor so for me it's worth watching based on that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That still took like decade. Up until the Last Knight and that was 2017 or so, they were bringing in so much money.
    Or how about the Fast and Furious movies? They ain't cinematic masterpieces either but they will keep making them because they get them money.
    They will not have a bad reception because they BUILT a target audience for themselves. I mean these days so many people will say they are fans of Iron Man or Thor or Black Widow, without reading any of the comics or knowing about old cartoons. They basically made up an audience of pseudo-geeks. These days there is nothing nerdy about knowing who Thanos is.
    Transformers was far smaller and did not have a myriad spinoff movies and shows. Simply because Paramount is not Disney. Who knows what if they had that money, where it would be now.

Not to mention, it made no sense HOW it ends. So, they throw back these villains all cured, would that no change the history and experiences of Toby and Andrew-Parkers, making these version that we saw in the movie no longer exist?

Again, I quote the Dude - "That's just y'know, YOUR opinion, man."
    I'd much rather rewatch the Snyder cut than have to sit through Endgame and Infinity War again. And you could not pay me to watch Thor 2 or Captain Marvel again. The Ant Man movies were so forgettable I barely even remembered those thief side characters when some showed up in What If...
    Tomato, Tomatoe, whatever. Live and let live. Don't keep harping on about how your favourite thing is better than everyone else's. I enjoy the Sony Marvel stuff as much as some of the Disney Marvel stuff I like. I don't see why they could not exist together.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  3. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Flimsy? Spider-verse simply used imaginary science, while NWH used imaginary magic. It's all just the same macguffin with a different name. I mean, lab coats or sorceress robe-- it's all just set dressing.

I'm annoyed with Sony because they've been off the rails since Raimi's Spidey 3 and the only way they know how to course correct is by riding on the coattails of Marvel Films. They literally throw the Marvel Films logo at the start of their trailers and ads even though Marvel Films had nothing to do with the film's production.

4. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Morbius was like Diet-Venom. Now keep in mind I did enjoy the 2 Venom films despite their stupid parts, but Morbius did not have that same charm.

As far as the character, I barely know his comic origins. Most of what I know about him comes from his appearance in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon in which he is a scientist turned vampire sucking blood/plasma using his hands. I have no knowledge of his comic origin or his rogue gallery, so, I came into it with no expectations and whatever change they've made went over my head.

The acting was fine. I enjoyed Matt Smith's performance the most (oh and you bet they'd make Doctor Who references with him). Jared Leto was fine in human form, but as a vampire he was more silly than scary.

The film ended up a little dull for me. But man, the editing was sloppy. Throughout the film you'd notice characters would monologue but it was edited in a way they didn't give enough space between sentences making it rushed and awkward to hear, scenes would cut like you think a scene was deleted (most noticeable during the prologue), action sequences were bad and placing them in the night didn't help. Also the film was confused on what exactly they wanted to make of Morbius. Is he a hero? an ant-hero? Anti-villain? Nothing stuck out to give the character a clear identity.

The ending also might leave some of you unsatisfied, and I don't mean the mid-credits scenes.
    The film didn't have an ending. Once Morbius kills Milo the film ends on that note without a conclusive proper ending leaving many threads loose with events and characters without addressing them.

Adrian Toomes just teleports randomly inside an empty cell during the portal sequence from No Way Home and then got transferred by the police.
    Toomes somehow got his Vulture tech and somehow knew about Morbius and somehow knew how to contact him to meet up in the middle of the desert to form a team against Spider-Man.

5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    So does this movie take place on the Venomverse or MCU?

6. SHINOBI03

Same one. Same Daily Bugle, they referenced the "San Fransisco incident" that took place in the first Venom and Morbius quotes him to mess with one of the goons.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

How the fuck you see this already?

8. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    It wouldn't as in the MCU is established that changing the past doesnt change the present/future, so Tobey and Andrews timeline would remain exactly the same as we last saw them, but the villains would now live in branched alternate timelines (like Loki's 2012 timeline and all of the timelines we saw in What If)

So now we have
    Tobey Timeline A (SM1-3 timeline)
    Tobey Timeline B (Norman cured)
    Tobey Timeline C (Otto cured)
    Tobey Timeline D (Flint cured

Andrew Timeline A (TASM 1-2)
    Andrew Timeline B (Curt cured)
    Andrew Timeline C (Max cured)

9. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Its out in some international markets, i just came back from seeing it actually

10. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They had screenings this afternoon in america and it's out overseas in some places so my guess they went to one of them.

11. dinobot1

dinobot1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’ll echo what other people are saying about this movie being like Venom, minus all the endearing qualities. At under 2 hours, it still felt like an incredible slog. It was also noticeably chopped up in regards to editing. The movie cuts away to events that happened and delivers exposition on it. Why cut it? We were right at that scene, just let us watch it!

12. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Its in the Venomverse, Morbius is aware of Venom, they reference the events that happened in San Francisco

and
    Vulture is teleported to the Venomverse as result of Strange's spell, confirming this doesnt take place in the MCU in anyway shape or form and meets up with Morbius after rebuilding his suit

13. Citricon

Citricon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw it yesterday. Here's my take:

I liked the movie, didn't love it. Venom is my all time favorite character, don't care much for those movies (some good scenes here and there but meh) Loved Andrew Garfield as Spiderman. Fan of TASM movies. They took out the Toby Maguire references in the trailer and teleported Toomes to this universe. Daily Bugle paper headlines mentioned Rhino, Black Cat, and Chameleon. Felicia Hardy was in TASM2. It's obvious this is Andrew's universe. Hopefully making TASM3 possible team up with Black Cat and or Venom against a version of the Sinister 6 (TASM2 post credits showed Doc Ocs tenticles) I'm excited lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. SHINOBI03

I missed the headlines part.

15. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Morbius isnt a strong enough charecter for a solo film. Does he have a rogues gallery?

17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Look, Jeremy Jahns isn't exactly... he's not consistent, therefore he's not reliable as a film critic.

Also Rotten Tomatoes is definitely not an accurate gauge to measure a films quality for the most part.

I don't even know how Morbius ranks as a film, I'm completely willing to believe it's stinky doodoo, but how many of these twats also lap up and adore any of the shit the MCU craps out?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    I saw it. What a fucking waste of my time.

19. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I’m a Marvel shill, it’s my weakness and blind spot but I think I can appreciate non-Marvel stuff if it’s quality. I just finished watching the Peacemaker series (super unlike anything Marvel puts out) and I loved it. I have no interest in Morbius.

TL’DR- some folks can be Marvel shills and be open minded about non-Marvel stuff but also dislike crappy movies.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    But, oh, you just gladly accept every pile of dogshit Marvel puts on your plate! You don't have dignified taste, unlike ME, so how can YOU be trusted to have factually correct opinions?

• Like Like x 7