Moon Studio Radiatron (Raiden)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Onslaught24, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

That's true. Shouki is a pretty strange one here, in terms of color. Sculpt looks great, but the color is...off. I'm definitely considering whether or not to wait for a revised version or just to go all in right now. Decisions, decisions...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And technically the legs weren’t designed to showcase the train sides on the front either…

• Like Like x 2
  3. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Having coupled many a toy and model train together (including just last night), I'm saying these aren't coupled together, but are just sitting near each other:
    1C13BECE-0556-436F-B12D-B95C86A7C266.jpeg

So you may not be able to actually "run them together as a train" on the track. At least, not on official Lego curves. Maybe just straights, or third-party Lego tracks. (yes, 3P Lego track exists, mainly to provide less "extreme" curves)

• Like Like x 9
  4. octobotimus

octobotimus Lost in space

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Other members seem to connect just fine.
    1585224D-18B7-4D4D-9C5B-00BE3A644EFA.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Your missing the main point. Kaen is so long that his end is pushing further past the point that Shouki’s connector would be able to connect to it.
    C8BCA5BC-4536-4F77-B13E-9912142092EA.jpeg

Thats the tracks fault for being so unrealistically curved. As for it bending in the middle…… It’s a locomotive? It’s a single entity.
    1856F64C-077A-4D19-BA3E-5CBB24DB2F00.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  6. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Pretty much that----"too long to couple" is a decently common problem with model train locomotives----but with only 6 members, known ahead of time, and not "the entire world's selection of locos" I figured Zeta might have accounted for things, made sure all 6 work together, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  7. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mean yeah in that 1 shot where they wanted to show them in the same frame yeah it probably isn’t connected, but you just put it elsewhere and they’ll connect just fine.

8. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    And the post you quote said just that.

9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

Pearl looks nice with the silver and probably alright in person but the white would pop better and there is enough color and other break up so it is far from a boring figure with the white.

• Like Like x 1
  10. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Guess it was such an obvious thing to me I glanced over it lol. I didn’t think anyone would actually expect this guy to link up well on tight tracks.

11. Nebokalypse

Nebokalypse Well-Known Member

Well... on one hand, there are restrictions, of common curved tracks from Lego... on the other hand: There are flexible tracks, which can alter the degree of the curves, and actually enable these guys to make a "realistic" turn on tracks, while being coupled. (However, as far, as I remember, whenever the trainbots appear in train-mode, they were up in the sky whithout any tracks... therefore, it would/could be toon-accurate, that they don`t fit a courved Lego-track). ;) 

12. J Rock

J Rock Well-Known Member

This round they seem to have folded to calls for integrated parts vs pantsforming, but not the colours?!

The colours and studio Ox designs were the two biggest complaints for first release Bruticus and it's the easiest thing to fix. You just choose the right colours...

13. J Rock

J Rock Well-Known Member

Was the G1 train shorter at one end?

14. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    Yep.
    2BBA93D8-B9A8-4077-9151-BD1F6B23FC8E.jpeg

If I had to guess, making the train asymmetrical just wasn’t possible when it also needed to turn into a kibble free torso. The original Kaen was actually a partsformer, with the entire front end of the train coming off just to store on his back.

• Like Like x 5
  15. luckyman76

Color might be wrong but Zeta didn't fold to anything about integrated parts, notice the chest shield. It just made design sense. There are 6 members of the group. You cannot leave one out. If they make a Liokaiser you might see the same thing possibly with Jallguar but I hope they have a better solution so we don't get a repeat of weak TFC Hades. You didn't see it with TW Devy because Titan Devy showed you what happens if you screw up Long Haul. In this case Kaen is just so damn big like the other trains that splitting him in half works perfectly. In fact, I would venture to say Iron Arm is actually their pantsforming solution that has a dual purpose because outside the colors and basic shape it doesn't match the train at all. If you look at train mode they took two Kaen's and backed them against each other with a pair of hips in between and still managed to get an awesome looking robot. I am even more impressed now because I never really paid close to attention to the actual trains just now and these looked so good and so close that it didn't matter.

• Like Like x 1
  16. luckyman76

I need to see this pearl on Shouki in a better light. It might look real good under normal light and not this heavy black background. It know its supposed to be white. Also, would be good now to see a reviewer assemble this without the arms to review stability. Still easy enough time now to add soles to the feet if needed.

• Like Like x 3
  17. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Yeah. I thought the Takara Shouki looked pretty heinous with all the kibble, but after really looking at it, the animation, the G1 toy, and Moon Shine Takara's is definitely a lot more accurate, even if Moon Shine's back is cleaner.

That said... if Moon Studios' trains are going to be like half the price and make for a bigger, better Raiden, well, that's where the money goes.

• Like Like x 5
  18. J Rock

J Rock Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you are actually pointing out things about how you see it transforming or just saying the train looks good..?

I really hope we see an in hand review soon. I don't see how they can make this stable enough with Bot sized ratchets for hips and knees. Constructor is the example of how to make a 6 bot team work, Liokaiser would HAVE to be pantsforming or suffer the same as combiner wars Longhaul.

These train bots tho, it really looks like they dropped the pants... o_O 

19. luckyman76

I think Kaen is the pants and they saw no conceivable way to make a separate Kaen and pants that functioned together so they smashed them together into one. Again, look at the train. I did say the train looks good but without showing the comparison you can see it in the pictures above it looks nothing like the real thing or Takara. I segued that into talking about the bot itself and will stick with your premise, how it transforms. Out of all the people here I am probably the person that agrees with your concerns the most. You are using my exact same arguments in favor of partsforming/pantsforming and I have long advocated for it. I am against the all-in-one vehemently because it makes the wrong compromises. Predaking will need pants and not monkeypants. I brought up the same concerns about Liokaiser with Jallguar figuring they would have to implement something different. Why I am in favor of Iron Arm as I see it are a few things.

First, the thighs of Radiatron look very thick like they should. Why, because instead of each combiner thigh splitting in half to form robot legs it is an oversized calf. This hides the combiner knee that is twice the size, hidden underneath the bot knee unless I am very wrong.

Second, pay attention to the robot hip more carefully. Again, I could be wrong but none of that kibble matches the combiner kibble. If you retract the calves up to the hips, Radiatron combined mode doesn't have the proper spacing in that area. I believe the robot thighs/hip hide another hip joint for the combiner ala something like UT Kalecgos. Also, Kaen is much wider and bigger than Shouki. Look at the torso, hips, thighs. For me I am thinking back to UT Bruticus and the Onslaught. It didn't have these characteristics working in its favor but did have the multipurpose hip. It worked better than most combiners but not quite TW Devy. This one seems to have the same hip type if I am seeing correctly and is much bigger than a normal bot size.

Overall this looks like a very weird transformation. Shouki appears to fold its legs back on itself revealing the arm combiner ports and then lays belly flat on top of Kaen. Somewhere in there they have to have a strong connection. Kaen's entire back and and upper half disappears. That back clearly forms around the abdomen and somewhere in there is the hip kibble to bury everything.

Again, would love to see transformation videos and combiner moving legs, knees to prove the concept. Arms are a known and I believe will come with the wings as separate pieces.

• Like Like x 3
  20. J Rock

J Rock Well-Known Member

Nice analysis

• Like Like x 1