Monty Oum's RWBY

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by User_93049, Nov 6, 2012.

1. thecollector

thecollector Will pet your dog

Split lip hit the nail on the head describing what we've seen so far as generibland. Singer that fights weird giant things with a sword/big weapons. Haven't seen that a before. I'll give them a shot though, maybe they'll surprise us

2. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, that's just the trailer for the character "Weiss", which had her sing
    "Mirror, Tell me something. Tell me who's the lonelinest of all."
    over and over. Meanwhile, the "Red" trailer for Rose and her schyth-rifle "Schyfle" had the vocalist say
    "White is cold and always yearning burdened by a royal test"

If the lyrics of those trailers are true to the story (and they certainly should be; Monty and Jeff Williams worked closely for the soundtrack), then Weiss could be someone who has so much attention that she feels isolated. Just my theory, though.

Also, Monty and his team loves anime, Kpop, Jpop, and girls. EXAMPLE:
    Dead Fantasy - Gee - YouTube

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're not terribly impressed by anything, are you?

Some things could be better, if given more time, more money, a professional studio, whatever, but Monty Oum is an entirely self-taught animator and this whole thing is pretty much his pet project, so give the man some credit.

This project isn't meant to be "original", very derivative of any over-the-top choreography-heavy fight anime/video game. But it does so with flair and its own unique art style, and already succeeds in defining the two revealed girls' personalities simply through their fighting styles.

What exactly does it take for you to show appreciation for anything, even if it isn't perhaps your cup of tea?

4. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

I like it quite a bit. I love the visual style and effects, but then the animation got all awkward once the fighting started. I'll keep an eye on this though. For what it's trying to do, it does more right than wrong.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Really, bland is better than bad any day. I can see that Monty put effort into this, as he does everything. It's just a bit dissapointing that a guy with such a strong work ethic and the idea that producing original work is a reward for personal accomplishements would put his effort into something so... derivitive.

6. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That wasn't meant to be an indictment or anything. It just seems to me like I see you complaining a lot as of late, and you're coming across as cynical and bitter. Maybe you have your good side, but it hasn't surfaced all that much of late.

I dunno. The action style you might consider "generic" in a way (but really, there aren't a whole lot of animes that employ that level of choreography on a regular basis), but that fusion of style and artistry and distinct colour identities of the characters isn't something I've ever really seen done before.

If you set out to make something that nobody has ever done before, you're going to find yourself not getting very far. Better to put your own artistic spin on things and just do what you like.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Check toyark. Or comics. Or tokunation. Or any of the dozens of places I frequent solely to express positive emotions on stuff I like.

Funny, because when I talk about how I like something I basically get called an idiot by other people. So I'm dumb if I like stuff, "negative" if I don't. Oh TFW. I practically kiss James Roberts' feet, white knight Beast Wars until the cows come home, but I don't like RWBY? Might as well jump off a bridge because joy has officially left my life entirely.

Maybe it's because I've never found Monty's fighting animations to ever be that incredible. They're far too ridiculous, which in actually silly stuff like Tex fighting the reds and Tucker is great and all, but this with it's melorama and "artistic" look seems daffy. It's one of the reasons I really disliked the last few seasons of RvB because they were so melodramatic and serious but had this cartoony fighting. And I'm not even alone in my opinion.

Honestly by confronting me you've gotten me to say way more nasty thing sabout this mediocre soon-to-be series than I honestly ever would have. I just checked this thread because I saw "Roosterteeth" in the title. I have no real interest in it and had no interest in discussing it before, well, people obviously wanted me to.

8. thecollector

The problem with arguing the project's originality at this point is we've only seen short clips that I assume are detached from the actual story. So far it's obvious that they're doing an over the top style similar anime/videogames, but with just that it can be described as bland. What they will do with the story is what will make it stand out.
    I think it's supposed to use the force of a bullet firing to increase the force the scythe strikes with. Ridiculous, yes, but I can see what he's thinking.

9. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Of course story is what's going to make or break this as an ongoing project.

But I dunno what you guys have in mind when you think "originality". Monty loves his over-the-top animesque wire-fu, so that's what he's going to do. But taking that, and adding the interplay of colour, visual motifs, and music certainly gives it its own unique voice, IMO.

10. thecollector

You'd be surprised...

11. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It needs more MARK NUUUUUUUTT!!!

Please tell me someone got that reference.

12. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

I dug the red one.

Just some good old fashion over the top animated fantasy action. Nothing wrong with that.

13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Whether or not you intend it or not, your posts always sound like you come out swinging at your own defense. This very quote is a good example.

"Generibland" is not constructive criticism. You just popped in, said something with little actual meaning to anybody, and intended to leave.

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Loved the new trailer, the music once again is gorgeous and I look forward to this coming out

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Not that it makes it any less insane, but I think the scythe is also a gun, hence the shells.

16. thecollector

That could be it. The weapons are something that has grabbed my attention. Red's scythe and white's sword were pretty cool. I'm curious to see what they'll give the other two girls and if they'll stick with just those weapons or have more at their disposal.

17. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    It's as if Black Rock Shooter and some random Magical girl series had a child.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the scythe was also a shotgun-type weapon but w/e. White's sword is meh. The element changing kinda reminds me of (megaman) Zero's sword.

18. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The scythe-rifle "Scyfle" is pretty much a .50 BMG sniper rifle built into a folding scythe.

The sword has magical abilities stored in a revolver drum. I thought it was like Leon's revolver gunblade from FF 8.
    [​IMG]

The next character to be revealed has what appears to be a whip and for some reason the silhouette of her outfit reminds me of a magician.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ok guys, on our forums here, no one is to "call out" anyone. People are free to post their opinions, both positively and negatively, about any given thing. If you disagree with what's said, that's fine - just "disagree well". Consider Rule #1:

1. No Insults, Trolling, Flaming, Name Calling, Harassing, Etc.
    We will not tolerate insults, excessive profanity or throwing a topic off course. Use of racial or bigoted terms is not accepted. Posts intended solely to antagonize others are not accepted. Keep topics/posts where they belong. Generally, “play nice”.

If you see a post that's problematic, simply use the "report bad post" function ([​IMG]", and Staff will take it from there to moderate as needed.

Aside from that, carry on :) 

20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I wasn't aware that the fact that it was also a gun was a mystery :confused: .

She shoots a lot of wolves with it in that video.

And then she uses the massive recoil off it (enough recoil to keep her airborne, rediculous as that is) to boost the cutting power in scythe mode.