Monstrosity #5

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think I might be done with this series. It felt like literally nothing happened this issue aside from getting some Junkion backstory and the exodus.

2. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    Thousands, upon thousands of people died, but all the main characters right at the epicenter of the explosion are a'okay.

Yeah, I'm dropping this thing. It's going nowhere.

3. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Wha- but... How?

So the power planet explodes, killing fuck loads of people except the people standing right inside the power plant. Then there's a memorial service and stuff happens- but then Grimlock's still wandering around the power plant like he just woke up.

And the Junkions are just coincidentally another bunch of giant transforming robots who run on energon totally unrelated to Cybertron? And why exactly does running out of energon mean your planet starts sucking in space debris like a magical outer-space vacuum cleaner?

THIS ISSUE MAKES NO SENSE.

4. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    I guess you can say this series is the real monstrosity.

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    They activated their Hasbro-powered plot armor, obviously.

It's an invention of Brainstorm's.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I've implied that since issue one.

7. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I THINK what they mentioned was, something on the planet exploded and created a form of hyper gravity, that is drawing things in. As for the explosion on Cybertron and Prime's crew being okay, eh. That reeks of horrid planning. Now, if they would have done it right, they COULD have survived, but seriously injured, and killed a few non-entities as well. But, no. Just magic future armor to protect them since everyone knows they'll survive.

8. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it's funny, i actually really liked the issue, sure it's a little silly that none of the characters there were harmed, but destroying that reactor just caused an explosion elsewhere. i though the junkion thing was interesting and like the set up of dai atlas starting the exodus and probably going off to start crystal city.

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I'll still buy it. 99 cents every two weeks or whatever isn't that much to know how bad a story is.

Its probably best read in full once all the issues have been released.

10. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And then they will think someone actually likes it, and make a third one... Yay.

11. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

This thread cracks me up. I think the groupthink has kinda taken hold that its "cool" to just dislike Monstrosity/Autocracy but yet the reasons/rationales here don't really add up much to me.

OF COURSE Prime et al survived the explosion. That was not exactly a secret otherwise there'd be no future IDW continuity. It's a mystery still as to how they survived, but just because that question hasn't been answered YET doesn't mean it WON'T, and its a dumb reason to drop a series just because a question hasn't been answered yet in my opinion.

And the "nothing happened in this story" crowd kinda cracks me up too, as I feel a big element of the Transformers fanbase has to have a big, no dialogue fight between good guys and bad guys with stuff blowing up and someone winning and losing in order to feel like "something happened." Me, I'm fine with developing storylines, backstory, and adding some intrigue and characterization. That's why I follow MTMTE religiously. And while Monstrosity isn't nearly on that level, I frankly think its doing a better job of that at this point than RID is, and I'm having fun with it.

Look, the Junkion backstory and discussion about empires rising to the point of gluttony and falling to decay by wasting their own resources and cannibalizing themselves is pretty potent. That's a straight up, valid analysis of what really does happen to empires in this real world of ours. It will almost invariably happen to the United States someday. Its always all about resources when you come down to it, those who have them prosper, and those who waste them are done for. I think it adds a layer of complexity to Megatron's quest for "peace through tyranny" if you add on the idea that in his mind, creating an ordered society where everything is planned out precisely - by his will alone - would put an end to the excess and conflict that is draining his planet and, ultimately, save Cybertron itself. His will to "dominate" becomes more interesting in that regard.

Meanwhile the interplay between him and the Quintesson I have a lot of fun with. The Quintesson is clearly acting as a bit of a devil on Megatron's shoulder, pushing him to go to darker places than he already has. Why? What is the Quintesson's motivaton? Where is he coming from? The Sharkticons dragged Megs underwater and then released him for some reason...why? In their first iteration the Sharkticons were the minions of the Quintessons...is that true here? Is the Quintesson pulling the strings and putting Megs through all these tests to groom him for...something? What exactly? I think this has been well executed by the writing team and enjoyable to ponder.

I also thought the exodus and interplay between Prime and Dai Atlas was handled a lot better than I feared it would be. It wasn't perfect, and some of it was predictable, but they didn't turn Dai Atlas into a fuming rebel like I thought they were hinting toward early in this series. Instead the interplay went about right, there was just enough conflict that you can see where the rivalry between Prime and Dai Atlas hinted at in "The Death of Optimus Prime" came from, but the noble and peaceable nature of both Prime and Dai Atlas was fully preserved in the process, and they allowed Prime to still arguably look like a solid leader while also creating circumstances that would let Dai Atlas and his people have enough legitimate doubt to want to leave. Not perfectly executed, but pretty good I thought.

I think the writers are doing a better job of intergrating with the IDW continuity as well now. The whole "scavenge their parts" treatment of the dead Deceps by Scorponok and the rationale behind it that was drilled into the Decepticon army as the overall philosophy tied in neatly with the "Scavengers" team we see over in MTMTE on Clemency. It worked for me.

Bottom line, the series isn't perfect but its nice and fun. Its not nearly as complex or engaging as MTMTE, but I feel like its going somewhere and sets things up better than RID has to this point, and I enjoy it a hell of a lot more than Regeneration One as well. Which brings me to my last point - just as it is fitting to let Simon Furman keep contributing to Transformers lore, I will say I am fine with letting Flint Dille also at least contribute in a small way to the IDW universe. I think he deserves to contribute as long as its not terrible, and personally I don't think it is. The guy helped write the 1986 Transformers movie and parts of Season 3 of the cartoon. He's a part of the franchise's history and foundations whether you like it or not. I think he is fully aware of some of the criticisms that come his way - for instance the closing "I have a bad feeling about this!" line to this issue that is a blatant Star Wars reference I'm sure is Dille acknowledging that many modern fans view his '86 movie script as having been a blatant Star Wars ripoff. He's having fun writing this, and I'm having fun with the read. It's not the best thing ever but its got some nostalgia to it while also fitting in pretty well with the rest of the IDW universe, more so than Autocracy did. I think this series is just fine. Especially compared to Regeneration One and the last four or five issues or so of RID, which have been disasters in my opinion.

12. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    EDIT

Nvm...