Monstrosity #4

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    It seems like every other issue of this series holds my interest. :lol 

I mean this one wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either.

Sharkticons... yay more beasts (or monsters... monstrosities... OH HO HO I see what they're doing)?

Optimus calling Grimlock "son" was kinda funny.

The only thing I could think of when Grimlock was transforming and saying "KILL..." over and over was that the Dinobots were gonna combine into the Beast. :lol 

Oddly the most interesting thing in this issue to me was the revelation that the Dynobots were part of the Primal Vanguard.

So overall... meh.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Yeah, the Dynobots being super-old actually explains some of the weirdness in their backstory (being part of some highly regimented military...which has never really been the Autobots) and why they are so close-knit in the modern era.

Still his alt-mode was kinda just...spikes.

3. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Ditto.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh man, this issue's writing was off. Way off. Optimus' line towards Grimlock? El oh el.
    Megatron acting all badass towards the Quintesson about being chained together, then immediately losing grip and going under..Dia Atlas pulling a Metalhawk on Optimus - claiming he's on some kind of moral high ground and doesn't want to interfere - even if catching Scorponok right there probably means stopping the exact kind of trouble he berates Optimus for.

Then there's Grimlock transforming (I believe he didn't actually transform, he was just halfway before he was stopped). Bad flashbacks of the Beast, like Mechafire said.
    And how the hell does Optimus shooting at Grimlock stop him from triggering his rage mode? Wouldn't that only make things WORSE? :lol 

Actually think this was the weakest issue of Monstrosity yet, and I already like it less than Autocracy - which wasn't that hot to begin with, but at least was some nice filler.

5. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Not entirely sure what was up with Grimlock, but it looked less like an alt mode and more like internal protective measures forcing out. Who knows, Grimlock might have a Marrow-like syndrome where, if he loses his control he has uncontrollable metal spikes tear through him like she does bone fragments?

The Megatron thing, while funny, was extremely obvious.

As for why Optimus's gun stopped Grimlock, I think it just basically shocked him back to his senses. Optimus used to be a police officer, so it makes sense he's got ways to snap them back if something happens.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Ugh. Just totally ugh.

If I weren't getting these issues for free, I wouldn't have continued past the first issue, but this is just continuing to lower the bar.

On the plus side, Optimus
    calling Grimlock son
    did make me LOL.

7. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    It was... mediocre. The Sharkticons, whilst neat to see pop up, are another reminder that the writers' raging TFTM-boners have yet to subside.

Whilst the 'Dinobots grow spikes when angry' thing is indeed bizarre and not making much sense, I am slightly endeared to it by its similarity to the TITAN transformations in the Arkham Asylum game. The spikes growing out through the normal armour and mech fluid pouring out is a kind of cool aesthetic.

And yes, Dai Atlas has apparently adopted the Metalhawk-pioneered 'bitching about stuff and refusing to deal with people who are very obviously evil bastards for flimsy moral reasons' technique.

8. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Why do they seem to have their dino alt modes? They got them first when they followed Shockwave to Earth and let themselves inspire by dinosaurs.

9. fryguy81

fryguy81 Rungover

Ebay:
    Does anyone have a screengrab of the panel where optimus is telling Grimlock "you need to calm down son". That is a meme without having to type anything in. Plus, hello Desktop

10. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Here you go:

[​IMG]

11. fryguy81

fryguy81 Rungover

Ebay:
    Jalaguy, you are a diamond. All things aside it was a great panel and quote.

I'm loving Monstrosity, like I loved Autocracy

12. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    you know, I don't think the artist on this series is all that bad, but got dang it if he doesn't keep doing art for the most bad to mediocre stories.....

13. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    He varies wildly between gorgeous and hideous, very Jekyl and Hyde.

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Just a reflection of Japan's long-standing pacifist tradition. *cough* ;) 

zmog

15. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love the art, confused about the story. They're good for what they are, but they seem to be in their own continuity.