Monstrosity #11 review (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by payton34, Jul 18, 2013.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know that Livio Ramondeli (sp?) has a love/hate following, but if you enjoy his art then IMO this issue contained his best work to date.

Now, on to the issue at hand. Trypticon (obviously) breaks free from the trap set in the previous issue, and with Metroplex low on power the only thing standing in his way is Optimus Prime & the Matrix.

Prime opens his chest cavity to access the Matrix, and...
    not a damn thing happens. Trypticon stares at him for a bit, then whips his tail around to knock him away. Prime staggers up just to turn around and see a giant foot come crashing down on him. Prime is nearly totaled, when suddenly he looks up and sees a ship in the distance. Then he hears a rallying cry, "Dynobots, attack!!" Grimlock & Co. have returned to aid their comrades.

Megatron then appears, with his newly repaired body, and proceeds to tell Prime that he would never have released something like this that would destroy Cybertron, and says (paraphrasing) "I should kill you, but I want you to watch as I do what you could not (defeat Trypticon)". At which point
    Grimlock comes crashing into Megatron and they start to battle. Prime says "remember who you are", making sure Grimlock doesn't give into his savagery again, then goes offline.

Suddenly they turn around to see
    Trypticon coming down on them, jaws wide open, then CHOMP!

To be continued...

2. Trigg

Trigg Member

was it me or that issue felt real real short for a short issue.

3. VRDUBZAK

VRDUBZAK Titan

News Credits:
    8 Pages, what would expect for $0.99?

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That ending was FANTASTIC. Also a good bit of characterization for Megatron.

5. Trigg

Trigg Member

I know it was 8 pages. I collect both this and Autocracy like this. This one just felt real quick. Could been it was mostly action scenes.

6. VRDUBZAK

VRDUBZAK Titan

News Credits:
    If you read the printed editions, it does flow better and feel like a longer book because it is 4 issues.

7. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

Quick issue but it was a fun little ride. The 1986 movie references were more subtle and well done this time. Optimus Prime didn't literally utter "open...dammit, open!" when reprising Ultra Magnus' futile attempts to open the matrix at a time that turned out not to be their darkest hour. The Dynobots-to-the-rescue entrance soaring down through the air was a nice callback to the Dinobots' flying leap from the shuttle to attack Devastator in the '86 movie, again not too overdone or blatantly obvious this time. The panel on last page of Trypticon's jaw about to chomp down on Megs and Grimmy was both awesome in scale and also kinda funny, if ever there is a time to say oh frag that is it.

Plotwise? It was rather...thin. The artwork and the action sequences have carried this thing for the past two issues now. I'd really like to get more on the backstory between Megatron and Grimlock and what Megs thought of Grimmy's "potential" and when, but with one issue left it looks like that will have to be sorted out in some other series. Which is fine by me. Remember, over in MTMTE, in one of the early issues James Roberts had Alex Milne draw an image of Grimlock holding an Autobot symbol in one hand and a Decepticon symbol in the other in a rather contemplative stance, and we also heard the Decepticon Justice Division briefly tell Grimlock that they would "work their way down to him eventually" which seems to imply he is on their "list" that is usually reserved only for Decepticon traitors. If so, did Grimmy's treachery take place before or after the events of Monstrosity? I'm still not sure but Megs' comments seem to point to it having been before...