Monster Hunter

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Argroh Valdios, Nov 30, 2009.

1. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Despite being told to be prepared, I was totally not prepared for the
    Gore Magala showing up on the deck of the ship

Survived that, barely, now on to new level 4 quests. Good news, I can finally forge some felyne armor/weapons.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, Kecha Wacha was stubborn. I had to hunt more of it than Tetsucabra to finish the Tetsucabra armor.

In fact, I had enough leftover material (with some gathering for Gluegloppers and Ivy) to make the Kecha armor too.

3. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone have any Nerusukyura armor or parts to make it that they don't need?

I'm trying to build that armor set.

4. Pikachu_King

Pikachu_King Well-Known Member

Got up to the 4* urgent Gore Magala quest and am taking a break from Caravan quests to up my HR some online before fighting him. Currently rocking Narscylla armor (makes capping a breeze) with the Dear Lutemis (Rathian CB), and so far Najaralla is my most hated fight. I haven't even attempted to refight that suck yet, but I will soon to start learning his patterns and tactics (he's the first snake-wyvern we've gotten in the west, I expected him to be more like Lagiacrus was but I was mistaken)

5. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    Completed the Gore Magala armor last night. Wow that was tough. Tip for getting the feelers, break the Magala's face BEFORE it freaks out.

If you don't break the head area before the horns appear, you risk breaking the head and not the horns later on. However, word of warning, hitting it in the head does more damage. So try not to kill it before you break the horns.

Best way to get them is to bring a pitfall trap. Also jumping on it's back and toppling it helps too.

Took 16 tries to get 3 sets of feelers. Damn thing kept dying before I could break them off, LOL. Monster hunter at its finest.

I'll probably do some guild quests for a bit, or some more expeditions to build higher quality decorations, think I'm pretty much done with the tough monsters for now, definitely need a break from the 5 star quests.

It would be really cool if the game had a replay function. I had one of those spotlight moment kills the other day on a Zinogre. Jumping attack off a cliff, square between the eyes. Complete accidental perfection.

For those playing multiplayer for the first time, please watch this video on Monster mounting Etiquette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=458nEpjtY5k

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I love seeing this thread being bumped and especially seeing other people loving this game. :) 

8. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    think a lot of people were looking for something like this though.

let's see

- free online multiplayer
    - play portably/play at home
    - play offline without being forced online
    - enjoy things found in either mode without items being stored server side
    - teamwork based gameplay

I mean that hits a lot of things for me that made the phantasy star online series so enjoyable. In fact my 5-6 player og pso squad have all transitioned to this now, and we just use ventrilo for easy communication. Game is a shitload of fun to play whether you are a vet or just beginning (<--- I'm a noob here), but if you have a couple other vets to play with, the steep learning curve becomes extremely easy.

I think we're up to 4-5 rank guild missions now, I know a couple dudes are further but that's what most are currently on. Seriously loving this game, it's really exactly what I needed to fill my PS void.

9. seali_me

It never had online capability until the Wii. Not the North American version though. If that's the only thing it took to make it popular here and not end up in the bargain... man I sure am happy they realized it.

I still play solo without armour. LOL

Btw if you guys want to play online with the older PSP games you need to buy a wi fi max for the psp.

10. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    I wonder what was so different this time around vs when Capcom launched MH3U? It definitely is great that more people are becoming aware of the game and are enjoying it. The additions Capcom made to MH4U are wonderful.

During my lunch break I plan on tackling the "final" egg delivery in the game. I have a bad feeling about this one, lol.

11. Pikachu_King

Probably the media generated around the special edition N3DS helped raise awareness.

Anyways, FC is 4296-2978-6743, drop me yours anyone here if you add me, currently HR2 "Vet" from original MHF days with a 9-5 job, east coast, willing to help with any quests I can run if PMed here.

12. seali_me

Oh man, you're addicted to this game. :lol 

13. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    I've come to realize and accept it. Well beyond the denial phase, lol.

I've logged about 40 hours, maybe more so far. Most of which has been trying to complete high rank armor.

Didn't get to complete my egg delivery. I was called into a meeting part way through, but I'm pretty certain there's going to be a surprise monster along the way and the area this is in sin't exactly prime for running with eggs (lot of cliffs).

14. Hate-triot

Hate-triot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just hit HR5 with a complete HR Tetsu Gunner Set and several different elemental bows upgraded as high as they can go at this point. I forgot how much harder zenny is to come by as a Gunner.

I hear Seregios gives great Gunner armor but how soon can we fight him? Hope it's not G Rank only.

15. Pikachu_King

G-Rank guild hall.

The High Rank one is HR-Caravan only, so if you've been doing your due diligence and taking on caravan (which from what I hear is an absolute must to unlock some things badly needed for G-rank), you should be good.

16. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Managed to get lucky and get a Zamtrios Sawtooth, so now I can stab monsters with a giant shark.

Love this game :lol .

17. seali_me

Ten years ago, I was at my desk playing all day.

No one said anything.

At the end of the day, I got everything covered.

I even managed to finish it on the subway.

:lol 

I logged 300+ hours. :( 

18. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    Last wyvern egg run was crazy as all hell. A frenzied rathian and rathalos. Was not expecting both. Quite a few oh shit moments.

That aside, finally have complete gore magala armor and insect glaive weapon.

I'm at the upgrade point, but for the life of me I can't remember what creature monster broth comes from. If only I hadn't fulfilled that one villager request I would have had enough to upgrade.

I do want say it is a pia to get decent armor for the palicoes.

19. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Currently working on Seltas Armor. Need 3 Jaws and a Seltas Queen Extract, which has a single digit drop rate.

The struggle is real.

20. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    If you're going for a specific carve or drop, be sure to go on random quests and expeditions to beat the desire engine. Also, do not build pieces of armor until you have all of the materials. Having an almost complete set and missing a key ingredient makes it harder to get.

The trick is to confuse it.

Set your armor/weapon goal. Do a bunch of repetitive hunts but do not create any of the desired items. Go on random hunts in between and you should be able to get the rare materials you need.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015