Heavy/Scratch: MONKEEMOBILE (Ectotron)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by HunterRose, Apr 24, 2020.

1. HunterRose

HunterRose Well-Known Member

I do want to look at that before I make Snaku print up more heads. Not just to keep him from doing a bunch of busy work but also because the head is small already, making it smaller is going to start throwing off the proportions.

This week has had zero progress though. Hopefully this weekend.

2. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The problem is the part that's interfering is a hinge so you probably can't take off much. You're right that it's already pretty small, though. I'm sure I can get creative and reduce the height without shrinking the head itself too much. Just squash down the hat a bit. Also, if it sits too high on the neck post, I could move the ball socket deeper into the head. That would get it to sit lower and hopefully squeeze in a little better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

The black hair looks better for the robot mode aesthetic.
    The chest is the same as CW Hot Spot/ Onslaught so there really is no place to carve out (I think). The hood is thin plastic and underneath that is the hinge so you couldn’t really get clearance. Maybe lowering where that ball joint connects would work??

EDIT: just ignore this I didn’t see Snaku’s post where he says exactly the same thing

4. HunterRose

Sorry for the delay but here's a picture of where it's catching -
    MonkeeHeadFit.jpg

Snaku and Thunder are correct, the piece that rubs is a hinge, so I would be hesitant to shave off too much there.
    Regarding the Ball-socket depth, that might be the way to go.

I don't know if Snaku was able to see it, but underneath the ball-&-post that connects to the head, there's also a little collar type piece. So that may be throwing off your measurements.

Ball-Post-Collar.jpg

I'm okay with using the heads I've got. I can just detach for transformation.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hm, that's worse than I expected but it looks like, with the head on, there's an awful lot of neck stalk still exposed so it should be possible to sink the ball socket deeper into the head. Tell me, of the heads I sent, how was the fit? Was I right that two were too tight, two too loose, and two just right? Knowing that should tell me just how big that ball is (I'm pretty sure you were right and it's 5mm) and with your photo of the neck I should be able to get a decent estimate of its length. Also, in your photos, the one with the head not fitting into the chest and also this one:
    [​IMG]
    ... did the head go on all the way so that the ball is rotating in the socket? I'm assuming it did but just wanted to clarify. I'll get started on fixing it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. HunterRose

@Snaku -You'll have to give me a little bit of time on that, I'm doing some work in car-mode at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool. I'm gonna do the same thing as last time with multiple prints but this time with the same ball diameter at different depths.

8. Diaclone Predaking

Diaclone Predaking Well-Known Member

Could something like classics bumblebees head work, so he looks all the way up and then you could put his hair to the side to fit?

• Like Like x 2
  9. HunterRose

That's a cool Idea - I'll defer to what Snaku thinks.

To clarify - you're saying there's a slot in the back of the head so that the ball joint has clearance to swivel all the way up.

10. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not a bad idea. I'll do some tests and see if it makes a difference (depends on how far the face sticks forward vs how high the top of the head sits). But for this it's even more important that I know the measurements as precisely as possible: still need to know which of the three head sizes worked for you (so how many were too tight vs how many were too loose).

• Like Like x 1
  11. HunterRose

Actually Snaku you were 100% correct.

There were 2 big, 2 small and 2 more or less fine. HOWEVER I was being overly cautious and using the "too big" ones.

When I just now tried again, I realized that two of these can go deeper, and they click in with a very satisfying snap. I know you asked me to verify that earlier, and I thought I had, but I was being too soft with it all. I'm a dunce.

I just went through and tested them all again and look what happened!

MonkeeHeadFit 02.jpg MonkeeHeadFit 03.jpg

I'm sorry for the drama. I'm having serious windshield and roof issues and it's driving me nuts.
    I haven't paid much attention to the heads (aside from them being awesome) because, for me it's still one or two challenges away from where I'm at.

But I don't mean that as any disrespect to Snaku, because you rock. I've just been in car mode for the past week.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome! Gotta' admit I was surprised at how much neck was showing in your previous pics. I did measure the depth of the hole on one of the copies I still have though (the one with the pom too high) and found it wasn't especially deep so it seemed plausible I'd messed up but when I went back into the software and looked at it, it really looked like it should work.

And no worries at all, dude. I totally understand being engrossed in other things. I tend to hyper focus on one project at a time, or one aspect of a project to the detriment of others and I in no way expected you to make the head a priority. Hope you're able to to get the windshield and roof sorted. I'm loving the progress on this guy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wanna see something funny? When I printed the first batch of heads, I still had some room on the build plate so I included a copy of the head I made for Charlie from Bumblebee (I knew I wanted to print her head but wanted to put it in a batch with something else rather than print it by itself). When the print finished, I was sure I'd messed the scaling up because...
    IMG_20200630_143247~2.jpg
    ... they were there same size! Transformers tend to have smallish heads in proportion to their bodies but Ectotron is especially pinheaded (the huge shoulder pads Make his head look even smaller by comparison). I made the face the same size as Ectotron's and I really wanted to size it up but that chest cavity just didn't leave any room to play with :( 

• Like Like x 3
  14. HunterRose

That Charlie head is pretty cool though! What's the base figure?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Zombie Labs H.A.C.K.S. Ashley. Got a thread for it here (you've actually commented in it).

• Like Like x 1
  16. HunterRose

Doh! LOL!
    That thread is great too!
    I'm sorry, I didn't put 2 & 2 together. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  17. HunterRose

I'm having an issue with the connection point where the Bonecrusher arm attaches to the roof.
    The glue is melting the plastic.
    Melted Roof 01.jpg

18. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which glue did you use? I'd recommend Loctite.

19. HunterRose

I'm using Testors plastic cement.
    I've not had this issue on any other parts, weird.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, I think ALL of those cement "glues" are dissolving the plastic to fuse it together. Either use a really really thin layer on both parts before pressing them together or use Loctite.
    EDIT: Cements are especially good at dissolving model kit plastic.

Btw, what about your Burton Batmobile?