Moment of silence for Geoffrey......In remembrance of Lionel

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Ruination04, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Hmmmm...imagine that....

2. Ruination04

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good story....Sorry to hear you were sick, but it's still a beautiful story.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't wanna see TRU go. I've gotten alot of good finds there. But as for my 80's TF start, I got all of those from the local K-mart. AHH I loved those trips to K-mart with the folks as a kid! :cry 

4. Ruination04

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    KMart has really went downhill too. I remember going there as a kid.
    I used to love Roses as well.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Moderator

News Credits:
    KMart used to be awesome. We would go there weekly just for odd bits and pieces. Also for photo developing. I remember wandering around and looking at toys and CDs when they first came out. For some reason, I remember Action Masters, Micromasters, and those yellow boxed TFs when I think of old school KMart.

6. Ruination04

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do too, because the last old school toy I got there was a Legends Bumblebee & a Micromaster battle station. It was odd, because those toys weren't even on shelves at that time.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hey I remember Childrens Palace. The name alone scared my parents into never taking me there :lol 
    Thank God for Grandmas :rock 

Also remember Thornberrys ( with the monkey) that were in the malls before KB took over.

Hopefully another toystore will step in for TRU like TRU did Childrens Palace.
    Suprised BBTS has'nt started branching out yet. They've got the potential to go for it.

8. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Children's Palace is where I passed up a G1 Starscream for Zoar of MOTU. I regretted that 5 minutes after opening Zoar, though I loved MOTU.

My haven for TF back in the day was Best. Literally, the entirety of a one aisle was TFs when they first came out.

9. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone from around the Cincinnati area should be familiar with a local toy store chain called Johnny's Toys. When TFs were first introduced, Johnny's seemed like the best place to go. I can remember being 8 and 9 years old and staring at a, seemingly, endless section of TFs. Prime was always on the upper shelves, out of reach in both height and in price, unfortunately for me.

Johnny's was a great place. They had a small castle on the inside of the store called the "birthday castle". My Dad signed us kids up for the castle, and Johnny's would mail a birthday card and a small metal key to us each year just before our birthdays. Dad would take us and the key to Johnny's to open the castle door and claim a small door prize. Then, Dad would let us pick something out of the store.

Alas, the Johnny's I went to as a child is no longer there; it was beat out several years ago by the likes of Walmart and TRU. There are only two Johnny's locations left, and they look and operate the same as the one I remember from my childhood. In fact, I went to one of them this evening after work and signed my nephew up for the birthday castle; I only hope Johnny's is around long enough for him to enjoy it.

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Tempe, AZ
    In LA we had a store like that, Super Toy City. They had EVERYTHING! I remember I bought my first Prime there, I had put a Megatron on Layaway and when I came to pick it up Prime was back in stock so I got him instead.

I remember that! I lived there for a year when I was very young

Yep I got my Dirge from there