Moment of silence for Geoffrey......In remembrance of Lionel

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Ruination04, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    With all the news recently of Toys R Us closing stores down, I just had to say that I am really upset over this.

I rarely buy something from there anymore, but I can remember going to that very same store in Charlotte 20 years ago to buy Transformers.

Hell I remember going once to TRU and not being able to pick out anything, so my mom takes me right across the highway to Lionel Toy Warehouse, where they had nothing but a WALL of TFs, with any character you could ask for! I miss those times.

How many of you are as upset as me? Am I crazy? It's like losing a friend you've had since you were a kid.

I wish I was 11 or so agaiin....both stores would be around!

2. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    This is why Walmart is so evil. :p  Hopefully none of the Toyrus in my area will go away. Oh how I loved Lionel Kiddie City. It was the best. I still till this day have my remote control Tyco race track. I remember getting a few G1 transformers there. They turned that frown upside down. :) 

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    TRU closing is pretty sad but I'm not too torn up about it...the one here in Boise is (relatively) new, built in '89, so I don't have few memories about it. Besides, it's the most expensive place to buy TFs here, so I rarely ever buy from there unless it's something I REALLY want and I find it there first.

4. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Yeah, I agree. I posted something like this in the first thread about the stores closing. At the rate things are going, the only toy stores our grandkids will know will be Wm or Target. KB's are gone in my area, but at least or TRU are staying, for this round, anyway.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I won a hot wheels contest in like 83 at a lionel. "mr. hot wheels" was there (some dude in a helmet and race suit) and there was a huge ramped track. they put all the cars at the top and flipped a switch and the cars all went down the track. I won with the yellow olds 442 from criss cross crash. I got a trophy with a gold camaro on top and a digital watch. I then proceeded to go to another race and come in like 3rd with that same car. I think it was because it was so heavy. ahhhh, memory lane.

6. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Well I'm hoping the few that stick around will be restored to profitability. :(  I remember when the TRU closest to home opened up. It was a wonderful feeling.

7. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

We had a store called "Childworld" that had a character named peter panda I think. Anyone else have Childworld?

8. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I know exactly the store you referred to! It is odd how the stores are starting to close up shop. I too have so many memories of both the Lionel in Charlotte as well as the old TRU stores on South Blvd. and Independence Blvd....it's where I first got my NES system, several LEGO sets and countless TFs.

I find myself buying most of my stuff on-line these days since most of the local stores can't keep their shelves stocked.

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:

I got my first Comm. Series reissue from the TRU on South Blvd.!
    I remember getting both Laser Optimus and Scourge at the TRU on Independence.
    I remember how the setup used to be in TRU on Independence. All the cool stuff at the back and the aisles seemed like they were a mile long.

Wonder how long the little comic/toy shops like Rebel Base & Pennyworth's can stay open?!?!

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I have a lot of fond memories of going to various TRU stores and getting not only transformers, but SW too when a new movie opened. Picking up simpsons figures, and TMNT when the line first came out. It will be a sad day when they go, but I definitely wont be upset thinking back when the reissues came out and they were charging 30 bucks for one of them.

11. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Child World F***** rocked! There was one right down the street from my house and my brother and I would go down there every week to buy new stuff with our allowance money. They had everything our local TRU didn't have.

12. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I loved Child World. I have so many memories of getting toys from there. Even though it ws so long ago, I even remember where everything was. Boys toys were in the second set of shelves going back and the action figures were about mid to left side of the store. The GIJoes were on the left side first in the aisle. Transformers were next. The back endcap was Starting Lineup when they came out. Also , isaw the Devastator set there but it was located a few aisles over in the train and race track aisle.

And the outside looked like a giant castle!

Ironic part, the mall where it was closed a long time ago. Only one store that was part of the mall is left standing. Where the Child World was, now stants a WalMart.

13. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

You know, when TRU moved into my area, it helped shut down the places where I bought all my childhood toys.

Progress giveth, and progress taketh away.

14. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I don't remember Child World, but i do remember Children's Palace. Maybe they were related in osme way... Children's Palace had a panda character. That place rocked, so did Lionel Kiddie City. :D 

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Ouch.

16. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I remember Children's Palace as well. It's where my dad bought me every TF they had on the shelf at the time when I was 10 for Christmas. It was my first Christmas after having a near-fatal disease and being hospitalized, and my dad had sold his business and we had moved to Florida. While my mom and I were in Florida unpacking, my dad was up here in Kentucky finalizing the deal, and when it was done he went to Childeren's Palace to get my Christmas presents. I think he said he spent nearly $3000 on me for that Christmas, and it was the biggest and best Christmas I ever had. Nearly everything I got was TFs. :) 

17. GetterDragun

GetterDragun Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is why I hate the whining when people say that TRU is like a dollar more per figure...it's the shopping experience I am paying for! TRU is just a fun place with a lot of memories, many of us remember Toys N Sports and Childworld, it would really suck without TRU around. Im essence TRU is the last of the toy stores makes you wonder where the imagination of todays youths have gone (probably online).

18. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    i remember child world! That place was amazing. And in fitting style, it closed down and TRU stands in it's place. However that store is now on the list of TRU's closing. I wonder what will take over...

19. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

You and I went to the same Lionel Toy Warehouse, and yes they had a fricken WALL of Transformers..thats they only place I ever found a Thundercracker under a pile of Ramjets and Thrusts...South Blvd in Charlotte, ah the memories. :D 

Another good place in Charlotte back in the day was Brendels...they had just about ALL the TF in stock. :rock 

20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    In my area we had Toy House, Toy Town, and King Norman's Kingdom of Toys :)  Those stores ROCKED, but TRU came to the area killing Toy Town & KB bought out King Norman's...Toy House closed soon after :(  Heck even Mervyns (Where nearly all my G1s came from) sold toys in the 80's...before Target bought them and killed their toy department because it made the chains "too similar"...