Introductory: MOLOTOW Chrome Pen- An Introduction

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Superquad7, Feb 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It's been a while since I've created a thread because it's been a while since I've worked on anything much. At any rate, I thought I'd try something really small just for fun.

So, I came across this video, and ended up wanting to try it for myself:

It wasn't long before I bought my own chrome pen. I had a spare G1 Prowl gun that was nearly bare:

Prowl-gun-01.jpg

I figure I couldn't make this gun much worse, so I went to work, following some of the techniques in the video. Here is a WIP result photo:

Prowl-gun-02.jpg

Now, what you can see in the second photo is the pen has a hard time getting into the crevices. The video details a method using a paintbrush and just taking the pen to make a small puddle of excess to paint with.

After I had this experience with the gun, I just got the random urge to take my Classics Prime and have some fun. Here is a WIP photo:

Classics-Prime_01.jpg

A careful eye can see the same G1 Prowl gun on the paper plate drying (just behind the cup). I took the paintbrush to try to cover the crevices. It did an okay job on it. Now, as a G1 purist, for me, a G1 figure either has its original chrome or it does not. That said, I was able to examine my work with a more objective and more critical eye. My reaction is that it covers pretty well, but it's no substitute for factory-applied chrome.

With Classics Prime, there are more crevices and grooves, making the job a little more difficult. Even using the paintbrush proved to be an inferior solution...but it turned out ok. I'll probably go back over the pieces some after they've cured (usually a week).

Another thing you may or may not can see is the bumper does show streaks a little more. The main thing is the flat surface area is big enough where making the marker streaks show the work a little more. It's dried okay, but there are still some noticeable streaks. One thing the video talks about is the process. You almost have to make a tiny puddle on the piece to avoid streaking. It can be a bit of a finicky process.

At any rate, if you want to have small parts, I say go for it. I wouldn't recommend this for large pieces.

I'll post a photo of Classics Prime once I'm finished and have the parts reassembled.

Yep, you're well acquainted, sounds like!

I don't think so. The drying/curing process needs extra time to avoid the wear from handling. The best best is to let the parts cure for about a week at least.

I don't think so. The drying/curing process needs extra time to avoid the wear from handling.

Ok, so here's a brief update on my chrome parts:

Hopefully these photos will speak enough. That said, the photos aren't 100% accurate. In some, the work looks better than it actually is; in others, the work looks much worse! At any rate, mainly what I've got to do is touch up some small areas and detail some areas with a brush that I've missed. As you can see, the marker does streak some, as that's most prevalent on the bumper. Again that's an area that's approaching the reach of the marker's capacity. For larger areas, one should really use a chrome spray.

20220122_024742.jpg

20220122_024819.jpg

20220122_024905.jpg

20220122_024946.jpg

20220122_025053.jpg

20220122_025128.jpg

So, you should be able to see that the leg pieces need the most work. I've really got to go in there with all of the sculpt crevices. I've got to go back over the larger areas some, too. Basically my MO will be to detail first, the attack the larger areas again. I'll have to let it dry_cute a few days in between, but I don't care to wait. I basically paint, go about my life, and then come back whenever.

The grill you can see the crevices make it tough to really get in there. I'll see what I can do with a brush, but my hopes aren't particularly high due to the detail difficulty. The crotch pieces are mostly okay; just some light touch up needed. The biceps and smaller hip parts are good enough.

Anyways, thanks for looking! I hope we've had fun together with this! More updates as I have 'em!

Update: 20220201_022415.jpg 20220201_022346.jpg 20220201_022317.jpg 20220201_022250.jpg 20220201_022224.jpg 20220201_022127.jpg 20220201_022058.jpg 20220201_022032.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.