Modular Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltraPrimal, Jan 3, 2013.

1. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal YouTuber (she/they)‍️‍

News Credits:
    I've noticed a lot of customizers using the FoC Optimus Prime mold for customs. And I've seen a good number of those who've swapped out the legs very easily without it looking awkward or unaesthetic. So I thought, why not try swapping out the arms too? Then I thought what if Hasbro were to design a line of Transformers so that they could easily swap parts around to make a new robot?

In the same way that Hasbro and other companies already do with their action figure lines, like Marvel and GI Joe. Most of the figures in those lines reuse the exact same parts, just with new paint apps or parts added on. They really only have 3 or 4 unique molds and just "Frankenstein" the parts in between each new figure. For example, a new Spider-Man figure might have Captain America's legs, Wolverine's torso, Roadblock's arms, and Silver Surfers head. Why not do the same thing with Transformers?

Hasbro already molds in new parts for future figures. Why not design the figures so that they're completely interchangeable? It would work really well for the Cybertronian ascetic, because parts wouldn't necessarily have to meet up flush, like they would on an Earth alt mode. Hasbro could design a few figures. Let's say a car, a truck, and an aerial figure. Then just make a few other versions with the same transformation while ensuring that the connection points are in the same spot. Then you can swap the parts around at will.

It would also be great for beast alt modes, particularly Cybertronian or Transmetal style one, since half of them kind of transform the same the way anyway. Why not just make all the parts interchangable? For example, you could have long legs for horses and giraffes, shorter legs for dogs or cats, but both could use the same torso. You could even have some birds and fish with the same base torso, just swap out the fish tails for bird tails and fins for wings. It would also be really easy to make Fuzors.

But what are your guys thoughts? Would you feel cheated having so many figures so similar? You could conceivably have an Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus sharing parts with an Ironhide and Ratchet who are also sharing parts with Warpath and Reflector who are sharing parts with Soundwave and Blaster. Same for Cheetor and Tigatron and Wolfang and K9. Or would you be happy to have a greater number of figures and characters than you would otherwise? Hopefully leading to more evenly distributed case assortments and avoiding more "bee hive" situations.

2. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:

while it does seem like an interesting Idea, I wouldn't want it to happen to the main line.

However, for a subline I could see it working, tie it in to Fall of Cybertron Game (or whatever the next one is called) and design pieces to match up to the custom parts in the mutiplayer character builder, offer paint suggestions in the game (possible Games Workshop tie in), and have the gimmick be "Build your own Multiplayer Character"

This would also be a good excuse to release weapons packs

3. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

And they could include codes for in-game parts for your multiplayer character. :p  that'd be amazing.

4. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    seems like a good way to get classic fembots and not have to advertise them as such.

5. JDK

JDK Seen Your Member

News Credits:
    Interesting idea, and as has been mentioned it would make a great subline, especially for customizers. But the direction Generations has been going since FOC is already disturbingly simplistic and generic. I fear that this would be an easy excuse to abandon all creativity and originality altogether in a mainline.

But I don't know, I'm sort of torn. If it meant getting more characters, I guess it's hard to not want that. But the characters' transformations and alt modes could potentially suffer, which is hard to swallow. I guess if I were to try to have a position on the issue, I'd have to sort one out after seeing it committed to plastic.

6. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it in theory, but I'm not sure it'd translate well into real toys. I think the problem lies in the amount of Molds you'd have to make for them not to look too similar.

Say 4 different types of vehicles and 4 different versions of them. That's 16 new molds which is allready more than what we usually see. With the current repaint tactics we'd get maybe 32-48 toys out of that - and it allows for different sizes.

As much as I would think it rocked to do something like this I don't think a subline would be big enough for it to make sense for Hasbro to do it - if we were talking somewhere over hundreds of figures, then sure. But that's how many TF toys Hasbro releases in a year at the moment.

Another problem would be headsculpts - I love the differences in headsculpts, and generic heads would just feel wrong.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I actually really like this idea, arms, legs, torsos and heads all interchangable... and all following a basic design principle (ie, arms transform out to the side, legs out the the back heads get tucked away into the torso) and just pop and change.

Arms could be wings or the sides of cars/trucks, that kind of thing. Suspension of disbelief would be required for some ALT modes but we'll just call them 'Cybertron modes' and be done with it.

Just three figures done like that would leave loads of custom options. Yeah, I like it.

Hell, doing with TFP Vehicon would be sweet, interchangable parts between Car, Helicopter, Plane and Tank Vehicons would rock SO HARD. Goddammit this idea is getting better and better the more I think about it.

8. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Make them all junkions with bike alt, then you've got an in built story reason as to why they come appart as well, also if they carry on the rts wreck-gar option of being able to ride each other you've got a whole extra reason to buy multiples.

9. zebramatt

zebramatt Well-Known Member

Combining the transformer concept with the modular toy concept would make me have an 80s toy brain explosion. It'd be the next great leap for toys everywhere, in my eyes. Sounds too good to be true!

10. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Yes.

11. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I have been wanting a line of modular tranformers for a while.

12. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    Guys, this already exists. It's called Mugenbine.

13. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I love customizing characters in FOC and if it was done right I would totally get into a line of modular Transformers. But I imagine the Hasbro figures would have terrible color choices that would make the custom figures clash with themselves and look awkward. Then hopefully Takara would release superior versions that looked sharp when put together.