MMC Trux (IDW Grimlock)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by maxenoughcolt, Sep 23, 2017.

1. QuintusTheExaltedOne

QuintusTheExaltedOne Creator of the Quintessons and ex-Prime

News Credits:
    big disagree, I prefer the competition. Grimlock slighty taller than optimus never fit right with me, his dino mode should be taller than optimus in bot mode, thats a proper dinobot. i think MMC shouldve done this regardless because it would provide people options.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Agent Prime 2814

Agent Prime 2814 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Oh believe me id be all over this if mmc continued. I have no desire at all for the planet x one. I want my Grimlock taller than prime, but not taller than star saber. Just my preference. And i cannot remember where in the thread or if it was this one or mmc appreciation, but it was right after planet x revealed theirs at the tfcon online youtube thing. Guy pretty much said the project is done and designer had moved on to other projects.

Edit: Page 38 is where RVDA starts talking about the project being up in the air. "A 2-3 year production cycle is actually pretty standard. The problem is that the leak was of the first version of the design, hence why it has felt like this is taking a long time. If it hadn't been leaked, we would have probably revealed it at the same time Planet X did. We've also held off on it because of that early 2020 Planet X tease. We don't actually want to compete with other companies, and since it hadn't entered the tooling process yet, we decided to take a wait and see approach. And it looks like that worked out in everyone's favor." Then he says later on they don't know what boss penguin has planned and they are weighing their options. I cannot find where it said the designer moved on to new projects so that may have been on the seibertron boards or a different MMC thread here. So I hope this clears up any people who think this project is coming soon. There was no prototype. It was only in the design phase. They were retooling. Planet X announced theirs. Added a preorder for delivery date with retailers. Decided to hold off and not be in direct competition. So this project as of now is dead. Not to say it rise like a phoenix later like Supermax...but we are talking years down the line.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Watch for waspies

This figure dying and Planet X's succeeding is like watching a McDonald's take over a Five Guys.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol 

5. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

Well that's not true. Planet X has great builds, QC, and loyal customers. It's more like watching replacing a Marvel comic with a DC comic.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Agent Prime 2814

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Not even mcdonalds...more like dairy queen.

• Like Like x 2
  7. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Watch for waspies

Mooshy headsculpts on top of clunky, oversized figures that go with nothing in my collection, you mean.

8. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I wish they did too. I like Planet-x’s appearance (got a Mars), but man they are no MMC. And that worries me about picking up a Planet-X IDW Grimlock. Plus Planet-X Grimlock is way too big.

Thank you for the explanation. I hope he is eventually released

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

Your collection. MMC isn't producing just for your collection.

We may have to let this go.

• Like Like x 4
  10. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    I’ll take McD’s over Five Guys most any time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    Well said

12. QuintusTheExaltedOne

News Credits:
    If you look back I was here when he said that, I liked his comments and I'm pretty sure I replied. I'm just saying I think they should've committed because they're two separate versions, not interchangeably close to one another.

13. QuintusTheExaltedOne

News Credits:
    Plenty of PX's figures are well built, sadly the few that aren't got them a bad rep.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    thats reassuring, because I like what I see, the stuff is really nice. But like I said, all I have to go on is Ironhide. And again I think Ironhide looks great, but the lack of range of motion and playability really hurts it.

Anyway, I’ll likely will wait dot reviews if Planet-X Grimlock comes out and if it is up there with MMC stuff I’ll grab it.

15. Dudaisamazing

Dudaisamazing Well-Known Member

Yeah I wrote MMC on FB about Trux. And they confirmed the design is being finalized. But not going into the prototype stage, it is being shelved due to Planet X. They don't want two similar product to be out in the market at the same time. So if they do make it, it will not be until a few years after planet x grimlock been in the market. And if it did well or not, and if it gets reissued, was said all plays a factor.

16. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Man that sounds like a lot of sucks that have to line up. If Planet-X Grimlock turns out to suck I am going to be so pissed.

17. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I love MMC, but I vastly prefer PX’s Deathsaurus and Grimlock over MMC’s.

I ABSOLUTELY prefer SXS’ Rodimus over MMC’s.

My MMC Tarn is in perpetual alt mode (I will never transform him again); I use Flame Toys’ as my Tarn in bot-mode. Even IF’s legend sized Tarn is more accurate to the comics, than MMC’s is.

Again, I love MMC. I love a lot of their designs and figures. But they sure as hell are not the be all end all of IDW for me. I’m glad I have choices.

• Like Like x 3
  18. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

I am a huge MMC Reformatted fan (I mentioned earlier I pretty much have at least one of each mold they've released since Feral Rex) and mainly only collect IDW or otherwise stylized figures, having finished my Season 1 G1 MP collection for the most part.
    As for Planet X, I have their Ratchet, Starscream, Perceptor, Grimlock, Power Convoy and Shockwave coming up. For Planet X's IDW line, I have their Deathsaurus, Starsaber, and of course their IDW Grimlock on pre-order.
    I'll just say that most of their FoC figures have rather interesting engineering but a strange, brittle and often sharp plastic that makes transformation more of a slog than they should be.

Whereas I find MMC Reformatted figures enjoyable to transform back and forth, PX figures sometimes just don't seem to fit as well or have as perfect tolerance for tabs or swivels. However, I do believe they have an overall satisfying and fulfilling transformation. The articulation and tolerances are hit or miss for me, as the Ratchet/Ironhide mold had very loose hips in my experience, and the clearance for their arms and legs were subpar. I find that mold the weakest from my own experience. I don't like the Starscream headsculpt great and his articulation is similarly limited, but his joints are better and the alt mode looks great. Power Convoy sucks in combined mode, as the upgrade pieces don't seem to have the clearances in their pegs and tabs as the less painted Ultra Magnus did, and they don't seem to store well in alt mode. However, I love the base blue figure beneath the upgrade pieces (based on the Jupiter/OP mold) so I just stashed the upgrade pieces away :p  Perceptor makes a great IDW Wrecker variant of his character, but his transformation and alt mode isn't satisfying. Yet he comes with so many weapons and accessories that he's a lot of fun in bot mode.

On the other hand, Vulcun (Metallic FOC Grimlock) is probably one of my top 5 figures in my entire collection. He looks great in both modes, has good articulation and joint tolerances, has great paint, and his transformation and engineering is near perfect. I think their IDW line (Ismenios and Kadmos) follow in that mold with good engineering, tolerance, sculpt and paint, though Kadmos does kinda have a doofy face. My main complaint with Kadmos are his weak feet, as I prefer the diecast in Ismenios. Because of this, I have confidence in Cacus following suit with the other PX IDW line, and they obviously have a good first attempt at Grimlock with Vulcun.

I did a similar ranking of MMC Reformatted molds a few months ago that I can post again if I can find it, haha.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Agent Prime 2814

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Triton...that almost killed the line for me. Sad that the other 4 dinobots I got were Superb. I got a copy of FoC Planet X Grimlock but I cannot critique him as mine came misassembled and there is no way I can fix him with stripped screws unless I can find an extractor small enough to fit and find replacement screws. Also his sword handle came out of the box with stress fractures and looked like it was going to snap. Luckily bbts gave me a refund...but didn't ask for it back so now I am trying to figure if I want to sell it off for pieces. So an MMC Trux would been perfect stand in for the rest of the FoC dinos as they looked more IDW than g1.

20. Prime time 101

Prime time 101 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Planet X is more accurate just that the sculpt could use more detail

• Like Like x 1