MMC Trux (IDW Grimlock)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by maxenoughcolt, Sep 23, 2017.

1. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    This is probably one case you are justified to buy both. In bot mode, Trux is probably the "better" choice, but in Dino mode, I think you want the PSX one.

• Like Like x 3
  2. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    Trux for chug and Cacus for MP

• Like Like x 2
  3. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    In Dino mode, the PX one might work for CHUG too. A small dino would just look laughable next to Prime. Prime's friendly kangaroo!!!

• Like Like x 4
  4. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    You know what, you’re exactly right. I like the way you think!
    definitely need both... and as the world’s biggest Grimlock fan, I’ll need 2 of each to display in both their modes !

• Like Like x 4
  5. QuintusTheExaltedOne

QuintusTheExaltedOne Creator of the Quintessons and ex-Prime

News Credits:
    Grimlock being too big should never be an issue in my opinion. I think he was way too undersized in IDW for how powerful he was.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Agent Prime 2814

Agent Prime 2814 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    size shouldn't be affiliated with power, when talking about Grimlock. While he was one of the toughest and brutal bots, he wasn't bigger than Fort Max, Jetfire, and Star Saber. He was bigger than Prime, though. Planet X Grimlock will stand almost 5 inches over MMC Prime and Megatron. Lock is big but not that big.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, PX's Grimlock is gonna probably cover IDW Grimlock as a whole for me. The Scavengers and the DJD I have a feeling will look better with that over MMC's.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Wasn’t Grimlock the same size as Megatron and Optimus in IDW? So he should be 8” if MMC Trux gets made. Man I really want this still to happen.

• Like Like x 4
  9. QuintusTheExaltedOne

QuintusTheExaltedOne Creator of the Quintessons and ex-Prime

News Credits:
    still prefer the dinobots being absolute units that stand out in a crowd and not just regular sized bots.

• Like Like x 8
  10. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    At times he is and at times like in MTMTE he's big enough to fight Fort Max who is the size of Overlord (also fun little fact in LSOTR Grimlock was going to fight Overlord)
    So just like pretty much every fiction in Transformers scale is never consistent
    21_10.jpg 21_14.jpg
    I'll still probably get both regardless

• Like Like x 4
  11. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Not in all his incarnations no. In Maximum Dinobots he's a towering monster appropriate to the fact he's a mofo Trex. PX's chosen toy size is clearly influenced by this comic.

grimbig1.jpg grimbig2.jpg

The much shorter rendition fans of IDW keep complaining about Cacus not adhering to was really specific to the MTMTE and LostLight comic stories where the artists dramatically shrank him down to the point he was sized more like a velociraptor rather than a trex. The only reason that was done is because during those stories Grimlock is this placid brain damaged version of himself featured more like a lost dog simply there to accommodate the Scavengers:

090f6479fda34d6778ffffe225b4f5f2.png 1517995218-ll4.jpg

An absolutely immense towering powerhouse of a character in a story sequence like this would mean he would fuckup a lot of scene composition, making the job of the artists very difficult. I view the downsize he went through more like well we have to do this to make these scenes workable more than anything. People greatly under estimate how hard it is to draw such a story when you have one character filling up an entire room next to regular characters and you simply want them to have a conversation in a crashed spaceship or whatever.

The shot above with Nickel, imagine trying to draw that same panel but with Grinmlock back to his old size, she'd be talking to his shin. It would be ridiculous. Transformer artists run in to this problem all the time and it goes back to G1 and explaining why G1's scaling was always so random.

So people need to keep in mind that their not only is no real "scale" in the comics anymore than their was in G1 but that 3p toy makers also need to factor what sells, what makes a toy fun and cool and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if our Grimlock still got made it would also be over 10 inches.

Just as mmc's Deathsaurus is 10, Helex is 10, Tesarus is 11, Overlord is 12. Cacus being 10.6, meaning he's not even the second largest idw based toy to date seems very appropriate to me so I can't say I side with the complaint of PX's choice there. I think he's going to scale with the existing mmc toys just fine, to visualize an estimation here:

idwscal.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  12. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I can see the attraction to a giant IDW Grimlock, but i like him the size of Optimus, Megatron and the rest :) .

So is this thing happening or what? Because if I got so much of a hint I’ll cancel my SS86 preorder right now:) 

13. Agent Prime 2814

Agent Prime 2814 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    If it does its years away now. I wouldnt cancel cause this project is pretty dead now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. o1dpain1ess

o1dpain1ess Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'd be all in on an IDW Grimlock in that scale

15. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm also one for PX's size. Assuming if my memory is correct that he stands at least a bit taller than MMC's Grimlock, having him taller in comparison seems to work more for me at least for him both on his own and then standing alongside an approximate of the sizes of the Scavengers. Since of course I have none of them, haha.

16. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

Grimlock, since G1 has always been larger than both, don't see why that should change now just because of a few artistic liberties in the MTMTE/Lost Light books to Accomodate some Scavengers panels, where indeed they either scaled the Scavengers up or Grimlock down.

Grimlock in the aforementioned series are still in continuity with Maximum Dinobots where the team broke up, and he was a behemoth in there as Lazy Aza pointed out.

Thats cool you want them (Grim, Megs and Prime) scaled the same...for the life of me, I can't understand why.

While Planet X may be a bit too large, there may be a place in between but same size as Megatron and Prime, eww...never!

Even Alex Milne in his artwork commissions understands Grimlock is just...bigger

Screenshot_20201220-194559_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Your memory is correct he's estimated to be about a head/head and a half taller than MMC's

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I don’t know technically Grimlock, Optimus, and Megatron are officially the same size in IDW 1.0, that being 38’ tall, that is my thinking :) 

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  19. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

Please tell me you aren't going strictly by this nonsense, which btw depicts Devastator at a mass shifting 400', which means we have a Prime and Megs mass shifting into their bot modes each time apparently. At which point it begs the question why all bots in bot mode aren't the same size if we're just going to mass shift away everything. Also where did this information get verified from? Was it a specific artist or writer?

Screenshot_20201220-202119_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I am and also yes it did, IDW’s Hasbro’s Hero Sourcebook. Not to mention it is depicted in art of the fiction and their size (30 Plus foot) is commented on as well. I guess because MTMTE didn’t really have humans you never encountered the scale in the human based stories. Devestator is stated as 400’ due to the extent of mass shifting occurring. Most characters do varying degrees of mass shifting, it’s just about how much.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020