MMC Sphinx - Mirage

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not yet. Molotow has a curing time of like a month so I have to pretty much not touch him for a month. Some minor posing is ok, as long as I don't touch the chrome parts but I'd never be able to transform him without touching them at least a little.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Woh. At least it’ll look good and last when it’s done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The durability is questionable at best. But it's the best option available outside of sending parts to a chromer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, after a month it can take light handling but it still won't survive a clear coat so I'll have to be gentle with it forever. But honestly you always have to gentle with chrome - that stuff wears off so easily.

• Like Like x 1
  5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    This guy is really fun to transform

• Like Like x 2
  6. RondoCalrissian

RondoCalrissian Well-Known Member

Wait, I didn't read anything about cure time on the packaging?!?! That sucks. I bought a Molotow Chrome pen to fix the chips on MMC Shrapnel. It's not a true chrome but it hides the chips until you look really close. I applied it almost a month ago and it doesn't look like true chrome but its a close enough fix. Did the curing time produce a better chrome effect in your experience?

7. smkheidze

smkheidze sideswipe and sideswipe and even more sideswipe.

I'm contemplating selling off my ps-01 and getting this feller in his stead...but I would like to know one thing first....how are his joints? is there any looseness/floppiness?

8. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It doesn't say anything about it on the label. That's what people have worked out through experimenting with it. Customs: - MOLOTOW LIQUID CHROME MARKERS TRIAL

Most of us just assumed the stuff sucked but a few dedicated users worked out all the best methods for using it and even what the best clear coat options are (they all diminish the chrome look but some less so than others).

• Like Like x 2
  9. o1dpain1ess

o1dpain1ess Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's night and day better for me comparing it to my original first release copy. I was never put off by the bit of floppiness, but this new version has been cleaned up considerably. Zero front wheel sag, nicer feeling hip and feet joints, and no floppy elbow like my original. Overall feels better in hand.

10. smkheidze

smkheidze sideswipe and sideswipe and even more sideswipe.

thanks...upon further review, I actually have the PS-01A...which I very much like...except for his faces and his hip swivels (LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!!!) Something about this new one just speaks to tho...more so than my PS-01A...I dunno what to do.

11. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

Got mine today, had a bit of frustration with him out of the box. The front wheel hinges were super stiff (which is probably welcome news to owners of the previous versions) which made getting them into position and folding the chest down challenging. Didn’t help that I missed a step. TMan’s review was very helpful with that.

More frustrating was changing the face. The new head sculpts are great, but they don’t come installed on the figure. As some other users have found, getting the head halves apart is a bitch and half. Using the rounded wedge part on the tool that comes with some DX9 figures on the little notch on top of the head helped a bunch. However, I had the issue where the head was super floppy once I got it back together. Pre threading the screw through the front half of the head helped immensely, but it was still a little too loose. So I slathered some Future around that ball joint.

Now that all the frustrating stuff has been done, he looks like a million bucks. Absolutely needs a large clear backed repro label on his chest. It’s the first thing I did after getting him out of the box. Very good joints all the way around. As MP carbots go, his articulation is off the charts...only second to MP Sunstreaker. Nice weight to him with diecast used in smart places.

I’m sure I’ll have much more fun with him tomorrow now that I’ve gotten all that other annoying stuff done tonight. The transformation seems like it would be enjoyable once I know how to do it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

YouTube (Handle):
    Pretty much all of the issues I had with mine. I managed to thread it enough that the head is tight-ish, but it was a real chore and I wouldn't want to swap it out again any time soon.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    *sigh*

PicsArt_08-18-05.15.18.jpg

Another shit show out of the box. Terraegis levels of shit

Miss assembled forearm. Cockpit and back pieces fell off. Scratched to fuck left foot:

PicsArt_08-18-06.31.25.jpg

Luckily the forearm isn't pinned as I originally thought so fixed it. Lightly glued the back fillers back into place but still need to figure out how the cockpit fits:

PicsArt_08-18-05.15.28.jpg

Probably gonna paint the feet a matte grey to cover the fact someone used the spoiler as a football in the factory.

I really like the look of the Autobot tapes but my track record with the company is fucking dire.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  14. Bruticus88

Bruticus88 Bruticus devastate Devastator!

+1

Mine was a hot mess out of the box as well. The blue "# 26" left shoulder panel (side panel of the car) fell out right from the box. Had to unscrew the should halves to re-attach... and the blue side exhaust vents on each side of the car cockpit fell out... no enough glue from the factory.

The shoulder cannon when installed, has too thick of a post, which is too thick for his narrow neck to shoulder clearance... so when you install the shoulder cannon it causes his head to tilt to one side. So you have to pick cannon w/ tilted head... no shoulder cannon w/o tilted head. Sad.

My copy is also very wobbly, loose joints, and poor tolerances. Look at him the wrong way and his legs go out, and he falls over. Not a bot to be handled much. Stay in the case he will.

MMC has been more misses than hits lately for me. The last release I liked from MMC was their Insecticons (Metallum Militia).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  15. Mentasm

YouTube (Handle):
    Jesus, suddenly the slight paint chipping I have on the insides of both feet (where they meet in alt mode) doesn't seem so bad...

16. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Shit qc aside, has anyone whacked a decent sized Autobrand on him or is everyone going small?

I think the biggest one here is too big, even though it'd fit fine. The smaller one should still fill the space reasonably well:

PicsArt_08-18-08.29.31.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    I’d go for one of the smaller ones on the second line, too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mentasm

YouTube (Handle):
    I went reasonably big.

MMC Sphinx - Mirage

Someone a page or two after my post went even bigger, perhaps too big for my money.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    That looks like the second biggest on that sheet. Looks spot on!

20. neomoz

neomoz Well-Known Member

I just have the light hairline scratches on the feet like some of the pics here, but besides that my copy is good, tight joints and everything seems assembled correctly.

He definitely looks the part and the transformation is pretty fun and intuitive.

• Like Like x 1