MMC Reformatted version of Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Shackwave71

Shackwave71 Very Illuminating...

I'd really like to see one too, but as long as MMC takes to actually release their figures (ignoring the "expected" date), a S2 fusion cannon will be out WAY before the actual figure! :D 

2. godotislate

godotislate B Gata H Kei

News Credits:
    I'm definitely not one who cares about fidelity to source, since I really want to see toymakers create new designs we've never seen and put their own design flair into things. I'm actually a little bored and disappointed that MMC decided to do a Megatron at all, since I much preferred them giving their takes on lesser-known characters. (Granted, I know that eventually every business is out to make money, and always fishing in the small pond isn't a great way to do that.)

But I am curious about why this toy is getting more flak than Kultur did. Setting aside the fusion cannon, I feel the main robot is "off" from the model in small ways just about the same amount as Kultur is. And Kultur's alt mode doesn't really match up with the comic alt mode, nor does the toy version look all that inspired on its own, at least in my opinion. (It's just... fine.) Though, to be fair, I don't think Milne's design for the alt mode is more than okay, nor am I a huge fan of most of his Cybertronian alt modes.

Kultur's also the same price, and his engineering isn't demonstrably more complicated than Tyrantron. They had to fake parts for the small treads inside his chest, while the real treads just hang out on the back of his calves.

(I'm not saying this to crap on either figure. There are always limitations in the execution of producing a transforming toy, and by and large what MMC executes on the whole is done well enough for me not to be dissuaded from buying.)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  3. Adumb

Adumb Sea of Rust tour guide

Ebay:
    I think it's more of Megatron being so much more recognizable in certain ways other than this. Of course its going to skew peoples expectations. While we truly don't know his alt mode, it's just bizarre that they would sacrifice the fusion cannon design to implement it for a jet mode seemingly built all around it. It makes me wonder just how long ago it was designed and how big of a role was the miner gear from the start.

Personally I think it's a damn good jet mode, but again, it's mostly due to it being designed around that massive cannon. If you look at how accurately they homage super Megatron, they did a pretty bang on job.

4. godotislate

godotislate B Gata H Kei

News Credits:
    In the end, Reformatted is a Classics line, not a Masterpiece line, so almost every figure is an amalgamation of different versions of that character as well as the designer's own sensibilities.

Sometimes designers get married to an idea, for better or worse, and in this case it seems to be the fusion cannon element. In Carnifex, it's obvious that Cassy Sark really wanted to have working treads on the tank. Since working treads can't really be transformed, this led to them just hanging off the side of the legs, and especially after griffith76 reduced the size of the treads to be less obvious in robot mode, Carnifex ends up with treads that are too skinny for a tank of that size.

Of course, this all changes the day people invent pliable "memory" plastic that be molded by hand into specific pre-determined shapes. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  5. stef17

stef17 Well-Known Member

Is this accurate to the comics? WHat does he transform into in the recnt MTME arc?

6. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    He hasn't yet.

No one has any idea, so I think MMC just ran with this one.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dio

Dio Scrapper

Plastransformium? :D 

That would mark the end of satisfying puzzle transformations... and make Michael Bay a visionary ahead of his time.

8. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

Holy (s)crap. So accurate and yet probably so expensive...

9. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    He's only $120. By ultra sized 3p standards that is cheap and highly affordable. After all we have voyagers and even deluxes selling for 100 in some places, lol.

10. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

I'm all about that Rioter Despotron, personally. Was torn between this and that but the alt mode pushed me towards Cross Dimension. That Megatron does look sick... and the fan modes allow some decent looking tank and cannon modes.

So close with this Megatron!

11. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    There's more I like about Rioter than dislike, especially the alt mode, and I would honestly have gone for him... but due to a set of self-imposed circumstances I'm probably going to give it a pass. This guy though represents a monumental change in Megatron as a character that I like that also has the added benefit of a face sculpt I don't hate.

12. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Some ideas for any modders or 3ps out there who wanna take a crack at doing something like this with him eventually:

mmctyranmod.png

• Like Like x 5
  13. Adumb

Ebay:
    I never understood how people say rioter is their new CHUG Megs. Something about his aesthetic just throws me off completely and honestly can't see him fitting with anything besides his counterpart. I just get this really weird vibe when looking at his legs and lower torso. Can't quite place it.

Hell of a figure though.

That cannonless design is near perfection. Nothing more than a little backpack kibble and a smaller cannon would really bring this guy together.

Hopefully there will also be some way to beef up and square off his shoulders like in the comics too. Something about MMCs upper chest feels wrong and I feel like they might be it. They are always so prominent in his frontal views.

111.jpg
    After looking at this too it really irritates me how small they made that indentation for an insignia, really would have preferred if they kept it flat for a bigger decal to be easier.

One thing I'm wondering is where the treads come from under the jet modes cannon? Is this parts forming? Does it slide out of the cannon and act as the mounting point to his arm?

14. Cincyred

Cincyred Well-Known Member

But will it be Spartan quality or Jaegerton quality? $120 for the former is a solid deal.

15. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Given what a mish-mesh of aesthetic styles got pushed with each new iteration of the "CHUG" lines it doesn't seem that out of place.

16. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    Spartan.

17. Adumb

Ebay:
    Maybe I'm the weird one here. Most of my CHUGs consist of old universe and generation customs. Only really started getting stuff again since CW.

I'm really jumping onto this MMC boat though. Even in my downtime I've been hooked with the comics. I just honestly wish we'll finally get a good Shockwave voyager so I can replace my ancient Energon custom.

18. LazyAza

News Credits:
    He has five sets of treads, one behind each shoulder, one behind each leg and one underneath the main portion of the the partsformed cockpit. The legs seem to fold under or above the torso so those treads aren't really visible in alt mode. Probably just there to make the backs of the legs comic accurate.

19. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    for reference, and obviously mirrored on the right rear side.

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 12.53.50 AM.png

20. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Mhm you barely get to see them since they're squished underneath the back. So as I guess, they're pretty redundant for his alts since he only really needs the front n side ones.