MMC Reformatted Calidus (HotRod)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Chaddicus, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    to be fair if calling a troll as such is a personal attack then so is pointing out said attack and so is pointing out pointing out said attack such as i am doing right now.

on topic, i think im definitely in for this guy, wish he was more of a large deluxe/small voyager, somewhere between 6-6.5" (bbts claims just over 7") but this is honestly my favorite rodimus design, plus i love the animated homage with the bow. guess ill be getting both him and drift although i wish drift was the current design as well

• Like Like x 1
  2. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

I don't think you guys know what a personal attack is, or at the very least in the context I'm using it.

3. Fenrys

News Credits:
    so yea... how bout calidus

• Like Like x 2
  4. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't wait to see the smirking face. That is actually the deciding factor for me. To be completely honest, the normal face is not really doing it for me, but as long as others like it, it is all that matters. No offence to the designer and the colorist, sometimes people have different taste.

Come on, MMC, Show me the smirking face. Make me part with my money.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Fenrys

News Credits:
    i do agree, the normal face doesnt have enough attitude, hoping the smirk face looks great

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So what're the chances of this guy actually coming out in June?

Slim? :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Not as slim as the chances of him coming out with the right colors.

8. Fenrys

News Credits:
    which right colors? this isnt based 100% on any preexisting design and the design it takes most influence from has had at least 3 different colorations

9. Kevin Iaquinto

Kevin Iaquinto 8 Strings Enthusiast

News Credits:
    I really hope he comes out on time... I also hope that Phoenix comes out on time, but I know it wont...

10. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Well looking at those Salmon thighs and the horribly, horribly muted colors of Spartan I am not exactly optimistic with the captain of the color ship.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    heh. the thigh colour has been addressed multiple times and will be more orange that what you see here. the colour they are in the promo images are a result of colour matching in photoshop that i was doing off a control image. that said, you've been trolling this thread pretty hard and ignoring that, so an explanation probably doesn't matter to you.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Pharoid

News Credits:
    I am sure the thread will survive me. And MMC has been far from on their game lately, so pardon my skepticism. The best thing about my last purchases have been the boxes.

13. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Lazy, I did have one inquiry that you can answer via PM or ignore completely if it's TMI.

Are your color choices restricted in any way by the sprue setups in the manufacturing process? A few years back at BotCon, FunPub presented a "how mainline figures are redeco'd for exclusives" forum, and brought attention to how certain pieces got base colors versus paint apps depending on which "lot" they fell under. Even Hasbro runs into this from time to time, with painted proto or render images on the packaging being different from the final figure because a part ends up on the blue sprue instead of the red one (Titan Master heads seem notorious for this).

Are you able to deco any way you like, and MMC sets it up to make it happen? Or did you have to consider some factors like plastic type (i.e. similar dye being in joint pieces versus harder ones) or sprue arrangement when coming up with the Calidus colors?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Fenrys

News Credits:
    doesn't answer the question, which right colors? because as far as i can tell this desing is not 100% from more than meets the eye or lost light, so technically there is no actual source material for this particular design to take its colors from, therefore it will come out in the right colors. it is a design inspired by the comics, not slavish to it.

also what does spartan have to do with the colors of calidus? thats like saying titans return hardhead is crap because titans return breakaway doesnt have blue arms

15. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Uhhh they're both IDW characters and this is supposed to go with their IDW line? So IDW colors? I guess you're right who the fuck knows what they are going for.
    Absolutely perfect IDW figures get made and then some weird-ass not quiet right IDW and something else blend cause they need to stretch a mold.

16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Again, this design is not 100% idw, and even if it were the design this is based on has had at least 3 different color layouts. So you've still yet to answer the question of what right colors? And why does a design that isn't slavish to idw have to be slavish to the 3 different color schemes from idw?

17. Adam21

Adam21 Well-Known Member

lol well said sir. I personally think calidus looks fantastic, and he certainly has pinkish/salmon colored thighs and abdomen sections, at least in the dying of the light arc.

I can understand if people don't like that color, but it's hard to argue that it's not accurate. I for one, hope they don't change his current colors. To each his own, I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pharoid

News Credits:
    I want a Rodimus that looks like it came from the same comic as their Tarn. You know so the toyline makes fucking sense. If that Rodimus is the equivalent to their Kultur/ Tarn for you, wonderful enjoy.

19. Fenrys

News Credits:
    thats not what this rodimus is so then i guess you'll have to keep looking, rodimus never used a bow in idw, that should show you right there this isnt 100% idw. their tarn also is not accurate to the comic considering his unmasked head is based on roller not glitch, though its generic enough that it can be handwaived. also you've still yet to answer my initial question, what colors are right since the idw design used currently has had at least 3 different color layouts.

just because you dont like it doesnt mean it is wrong, just because you dont think it makes sense doesnt mean that it actually doesnt make sense. their strika (titanika) looks nothing like her idw design nor does obsidian (oberon) despite the fact that you seem to be under the impression that mmc has set out to do a line of slavish idw figures, these two figures plus calidus and kultur prove that you are the one who is wrong since none of them are actually accurate to idw.

• Like Like x 1
  20. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    Just FYI, Reformatted is a "neo-Classics" line with only Cybertronian alt modes.

• Like Like x 3