MMC R-51 Proditor Nimbus (Doubledealer)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Leopard5, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Ironically enough, I’m pretty sure the Hasbro WfC figure is more accurate than this. He’s also leader sized and will cost you much less.

Although you’ll be getting a lot of hollow and gappy parts.

Edit: buy him anyways tho. Support Reformatted ;3

• Like Like x 10
  2. HeroicVillain

HeroicVillain Well-Known Member

I remember the synopsis but it's been years since I read those.
    I'm not interested in the character. Not memorable enough for me. The only character exclusively from the comics that wasn't in the toon that I plan on getting is a Windblade. Hopefully Blingotron's comes out this year and is good.

3. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Oh, cool. Will probably get this over fanshobbys effort.

• Like Like x 3
  4. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 9
  5. AutobotSoldier

AutobotSoldier Well-Known Member

I think Stalker and MW Soundwave repaints would work great too.

Totally agree with you. I was hoping that too as well as using the Helex mold for Botcon like Optimus Primal. And totally thought the same thing with the chromedome mold being used for a BM thrust and/or Transtech/Animated styled Cheetor.

6. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Now if they could make this into a Machine Wars Soundwave so my Optimus won't be so lonesome

• Like Like x 6
  7. Jamiec1979

Jamiec1979 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more, Bird mode is the only passable aspect of this Figure Imo. Sorry but this mold was made for a very distinct Character (Deathsaurus) and doesn't pull off Doubledealer at all honestly. The head sculpt is great though but MMC does that the best in all of Transformers IMO.

8. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would agree with your assessment, and honestly I wouldn't think of MMC and FH Doubledealer as competing. While some people would actually be choosing between them, they are so different that the percent of people who would even consider both of them is limited. Similar with the MMC Cassettes, even if others are making them they aren't really competition because they don't really fit in the same place in a collection.

• Like Like x 1
  9. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I would usually agree, except the vehicle is basically nothing more than a brick with wheels on it. It desperately needs a cockpit or vehicle detailing of some kind to make it look like, something.

10. grimtnt

grimtnt Armada is older now than G1 was in 2002

News Credits:
    I don't really see it the same way as you do

To me the vehicle looks positively IDW MTMTE esc

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    I'm getting both :D 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

I don’t understand MMC anymore. How can Boss Penguin expect that this will make more profit than a new mold like Nautica?

This has extensive retooling so you have to cut new, large molds and an official as well as a 3rd Party competitor for people who really love Doubledealer.

I’m scratching my head. :confused: 

• Like Like x 8
  13. RVDA

RVDA Toy Designer.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I really tried to make Tankor from Tortor happen. The problem with bigger toys like that is that you have to think of stuff like, who would buy a $200 Tanker remold? Which is why we had a Scorponok remold planned, but we couldn't really make it work to a satisfactory degree.

It's always less costly to come up with new tooling for an existing figure. D-Zef is also a figure that took years of development, and retools will help offset those costs. One of the reasons we're going through with this one.

It was also a question if this was even going to happen until a few months ago, so boss must think it's worth pursuing.

To be clear, these would be repaints that I personally want to see happen, but which I don't know will. Me as a fan would love to see stuff. But as a MMC employee, I haven't heard anything about whether this will even get any further retools.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

@RVDA, it makes sense to me that doing new tooling for an already existing figure will cost less than producing an all new figure of the same size and complexity.

What I don’t understand is that this figure has enough appeal to warrant the budget for it. While other fan favorite characters don’t seem to have enough pull for making it into production.

On the other hand MTMTE is long dead so maybe the fans have moved on and there is no market for new figures.

• Like Like x 1
  15. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I’m not a G1 guy and wasn’t around for BW, But I’d personally find a tankor remold at $200 way more fitting and interesting than a forced skorponok remold.

16. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    Appreciate the efforts you took to try to get it done, but yes, agreed that the audience for a $200 Tankor is like me and 5 other people.

I think the context that's missing is that Doubledealer, or well, Doubleclouder, was heavily featured in the Super-God Masterforce anime, so he's a nostalgia draw for a lot of the Asian audience. Purely anecdotal, but engagement on PSX weibo for him seems relatively strong. In the end, MMC is a company based in China, and Chinese/Asian cultural touchstones can be quite different from those in the West. (You only need look back in this forum a week or so for confirmation of that.) Also note that the product name is Proditor Nimbus, which is clearly referencing the "Clouder" history from Masterforce.

Does that mean that there's enough market between this and the Fans Hobby version? Dunno.

One question is whether Proditor Nimbus ends up getting a deco something more like the Doubledealer toy or the Doubleclouder toy. Weirdly, Masterforce didn't use the Japanese toy deco, and the character in the show looked more like Doubledealer.

Doubleclouder
    600px-Pixlr_20201215171342009.jpg

Doubledealer
    787px-G1DoubleDealer_Toy.jpg

FWIW, byrin's old render seemed to use colors closer to the IDW comics appearance, but that's not necessarily indicative of the final product. (Also his headsculpt has the less prominent ears of the comic.)

529px-SpotlightHotRod_DoubleDealer.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Jamiec1979

Jamiec1979 Well-Known Member

I'm still getting this Guy to support Reformatted, But Boss Penguin please eventually give us a Nautica,Pharma,Skids, est...

• Like Like x 4
  18. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Maximum blast!

News Credits:
    Really liking this but I want to see it in colour first. Don’t mind the missile tank and the bird mode for me is *chefs kiss* because it reminds me of the Stormbird from HZD/HFW. I know he never had any but I don’t think a sword or a second gun would hurt, it’d add something to the tank mode as extra weaponry. Something like a railgun could work.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

That's an impressive reuse of their Deathsauraus, I mean the bird was more or less there, just don't do arms, but stuffing a vehicle in such a way that (at first blush) does a really good job of hiding there's a truck in the bird is impressive.

I am currently looking forward to FansHobby, but there's a lot of uniqueness between both of them and both companies love them some repaint options. Question is, who wears which colors?

• Like Like x 2
  20. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He looks strange, robots hands are pretty big, vehicle mode is small. I think the best mode is the bird one.

I will wait for final pics.

• Like Like x 2