MMC R-18 Anubis

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by AutobotMirage, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is a false option.

They didn't say "Well, we were going to make 4 different toys, but to save money let's mush them all into one!"

They said "I'm making one new mold, but to pay for it I need to make a couple remolds/recolors, let's make it into Cyclonus... and Lockdown, etc."

They would have never made 4 new molds for the 4 characters, and making remold lowers the price per each individual release.

The only options are ONE TOY FOR A LOT OF MONEY or ONE TOY WITH SEVERAL REMOLDS FOR SLIGHTLY LESS MONEY.

2. Deaths Thread

Deaths Thread The answer is always yes, yes?

If having four uses of one mold means that we get the mold in the first place, I'm all for it.

Been doing this since 1984!!

3. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

I have been shocked at the mold re-use and rampant repainting in Transformers. Coming from outside this end of the hobby and looking in, it's shocking how widespread it is.

It certainly happens in other toylines, but man, Transformers takes it to a new level. I value unique sculpts so I do not want any of my figures to be on the same mold, unless they are of identical twins. Then it's fine.

I have no problem with all the re-paints you see in TF, I just wont get any more than one of them. The only thing I consider is does the figure look great. Did the mold re-use get done in a smart way that turned out cool. For Anubis here, I have literally no idea what else this mold is used for. I like Death's Head. Is this a smart re-use of the mold?? I dunno, it's kinda weird, but it did make me look at it.

4. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never played with a GI Joe or MOTU figure, huh?

5. Destronus

Destronus Ay up

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Neca predators :rolleyes2 

6. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Fast as a Sharkticon

Or a Marvel Legend. Or a DCUC figure.

7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I'm kinda surprised MMC even decided to come near this. Marvel and Disney definitely don't mess around.

Pretty cool though.

8. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Actually no. I never have.
    And yeah, certainly other lines do it. One of the reasons I got so very few DCUC is how rampant it was in that line. But TF, to me, seems to really really lean on the reapints. Marvel Legends has gotten much much worse about it, but way back when, it was unique mold city, tons of them. Tons. Not so much nowadays.

9. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    By Transformers standard of a "remold" most action figure lines are only the same figure remolded over and over and over... Transformers, merely having 4-5 figures from the same mold, is WAY LESS than most lines.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    As I said before. I don't mind if the characters are kind of similar looking, and they want to save money by tweaking it a bit and reusing it for another figure.

This isn't Hasrbo. According to Chris we're already overpaying for these figures anyway - if you're charging me $100.00+, can you at least limit the mold to two different characters? Not friggin' three or dear Darwin - even four figures? That is pretty intense for 3P.

Cyclonus and the Lockdown we know do not look nearly ANYTHING like their IDW/MTMTE counterparts. They are ALL suffering because of this and just looks like a mess.

MMC already had and still has stuff shelf warming - and those characters are friggin' AMAZING looking and almost use a SINGLE mold (DJD bots). How do you think these piles are going to fare? I'm not a mind reader, but I can only assume not very well.

All someone smart has to do is upscale the BiS Cyclonus with MT's Tempest Kit and add articulation and some polish. You would have an AMAZING MTMTE looking Cyclonus. Not this ... Mess.

11. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

Mess in your opinion. This also assumes they went for an IDW interpretation, which they may not have for Cyclonus Lockdown, or Death's Head. The Feral cons weren't IDW, nor Seraph, nor Hexatron, so the precedent is set despite other characters being IDW based. You look at MMC as strictly IDW based and you probably shouldn't as only three of their actual releases so far were based off IDW.

As for the DJD characters shelf warming, well duh. They're niche characters of a niche market. Venn diagram that bitch, IDW readers on one side, 3rd party consumers on the other, where they overlap isn't going to be very huge, no matter how passionate 3rd party IDW collectors are. It's gonna be a small market, and after market sales were not indicated by the preorders. Conversely the non-IDW Feralcons have sold out a few times, and multiple runs have been made. Moral of the story: Based off their current sales history IDW doesn't sell as well for MMC as non-IDW characters.

12. Honesty

News Credits:
    You raise a fair point Dek.

However, the non-IDW will always sell more because the G1 crowd would prefer more "G1 looking" figures. Especially those who "hate" IDW for reasons that are their own.

Fun fact being they didn't make this Cyclonus resemble anything other than - hey he has horns and a silver face - he doesn't look G1 and he doesn't look IDW. Hopefully since you were all for this, you purchase these three figures and help them recoup some money so we see future releases from them.

Awesome for those who want a purple robot with horns. I hope MMC sells a lot to that crowd and hopefully they are many.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I may bite on this mold with Death's Head since I had no interest in Lockdown or Cyclonus.

14. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i have that and its not g1 its dh rebuilt after getting destroyed by dragons claws i want one from the g1 transformers comics and mp sized ... but would still be happy with a smaller one

Death's Head (G1) - Transformers Wiki

15. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you believe Chris it is not MMC who is profiting from the high prices. It is the middleman.

16. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

Nooooope. Feralcons (which are not IDW based) are still MMC's best selling products to date, so that assumption of yours that I bolded is pretty wrong in terms of what sells for MMC. The directly IDW based stuff, the DJD guys, has been the poor sellers.

And I'm all in on Lockdown and Death's Head. Cyclonus no, but I don't like Cyclonus, and probably wouldn't buy him if he was G1 or IDW.

Also, if your beef is directly with the Cyclonus version of this mold, then you should take this over to that thread. As for this thread, the Death's Head thread, I want to see pictures of his shield, and if we can store his extra weapons behind it.

17. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

That Dragon's Claw was his best appearance. He was so freaking awesome in that.

18. Honesty

News Credits:
    That should have read: "will always sell more." Not sure why I wrote "less." I was currently in a dungeon in FF14 (a MMO I play) so I may have miss typed.

The rest of the sentence wouldn't have made sense otherwise. But it isn't your fault I messed up.

But yeah. I know and agree. They will always sell less than their more G1 looking appearances due to the G1 or nothing crowd.

19. Masktique

Masktique #1 Sideways Fan

News Credits:
    Everyone wants G1 or IDW, while I'm over here just wanting all those other continuities in between. :cry  As for Anubis here, he looks alright, I guess. Was never really amazed by this mold to begin with, but who knows, maybe it's better than what these pics make it out to be.

20. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    yeah was good so was his mini comic series before he had his mind stolen by minion in deathsheadII which i actually really enjoyed as well hence the forum name :)