MMC OX Assaultus

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Devastator21, Sep 30, 2017.

1. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Was there ever a fix found for that? Or is removing the head in combined mode still the only solution found?

2. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Assaultus has weak joints for a combiner, My Poseidon has much stronger joints than Assaultus overall.

I think MMC / OM haven't mastered the ratchet joint technology yet. Let's hope Maximas Pro will have better joints.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

That's all I could think of. If that piece stayed tabbed in properly (maybe it does on other copies), it wouldn't be an issue but it sadly comes un-tabbed very easily when posing. Now that I know that it's an issue I can prevent it from getting worse, but I figured I'd warn someone who just got the set so they can have a pristine probus.

4. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    I’m not sure if I’ve played with my Assaultus as much as yours, but mine has kept very well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rubadubspawn

rubadubspawn Rubadubspawn deals @ [email protected]

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    What's the deal with Incurus shoulders? Are they weak in the first release? Has MMC been offering replacement parts for them?

What needs to be fixed with Incurus? Just wondering what to look out for with him

Did u just request the piece from your retailer? Was the joint initially broken by you or did it need to be replaced right off the bat?

6. lordcryotek

My copy was posed quite a bit, I will grant you that. It seemed like one of those things that could be my fault, but I know it happened to someone else who barely handled the figure:
    So, your mileage may vary and all that. I'd still suggest taking it off for combined mode but hey, it's your figure. I love the Probus mold enough that I plan to buy whichever repaint comes out first so I can have a copy to display in bot mode.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, I understand that on the surface level. The "large-scale" Combiners in my collection comprise figures such as Poseidon, Ordin, and Gravity Builder, plus my also recently completed XTB Monolith (I won't touch Zeta's figures with a ten-foot pole because I despise that level of cheatiness).

Even with Assaultus's technically weaker joints, I've found him to be generally more stable than any of those. As strong as the joints in some of those figures are, they're only as good as the weakest link in the bunch. And all of those figures have at least one area where the engineering falters a bit, and they don't compete with the monolithic sturdiness of Assaultus' components. XTB Monolith is the only other one that feels similarly "cohesive" as a whole, but the set is so monstrously heavy that setting it up takes quite a lot of care. Assaultus is light enough that I can set him up pretty much anywhere without too much trouble. Joints could be tighter, yes, but he's far from a ragdoll either.

Yeah, I've been following the thread still, so am generally aware of the Brawl/Probus issue. I've been keeping an eye on that, but the joint seems to be locked in place pretty sturdily so far.

As far as Incursus/Onslaught's proportions, they're a little wonky, yes, but I'm so used to his G1/G2 figure that it still feels "right" to me. Hits those rose-tinted goggles just right that I can just flat-out overlook it, even with the rest of his team going in a more 'toon-oriented direction.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Tbh I was pretty weary of just letting him stand lol. I had him just at my desk which is in direct sight of my bed and I was just staring at him constantly cause I was paranoid he was gonna fall. But he didn’t and that’s great. I’m glad I upgrade the hips beforehand. But I really ought to go and replace the shoulder.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lordcryotek

I felt like that for the first few weeks I had him, but I've since learned to trust in his joints. Still, I kept him standing in my review area for a long time just to be sure, I ain't letting $700 fall flat on its face. The slippers help. For what it's worth, my copy has been standing posed like that picture on the top of the page for the past few months.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Great pics but I did 'lol' a bit here. With staging and angles anything can be manipulated. I guess if ppl really want this guy and want it to look huge on a shelf then you'll have to put him high up so you're looking up at him.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah they probably would help. But I’m definitely not gonna buy a set. Just not my bag. I wanna make the default version as good as it can be.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    So, I just spent several minutes testing the Probus knee connection, really putting it through its paces. Put some extra pressure on the joint, moved it around rapidly, etc, etc.

While I can't deny that it did happen, if everything was properly in its place, I can't really see how the neck breakage could happen.

The way the green tab hooks into place in the first place is very secure. It takes a weird, unnatural sort of movement to pop it from its socket simply by attempting to torque the head platform. And then, when you tab Incursus' toe over the assembly, it pretty much locks it into place. The Assaultus knee joint is less stiff than Probus' swiveling port, so any attempt to move the knee will apply the force to the knee joint instead of the swivel, so there's nothing that attempts to pries up the green tab. If the green tab moves at all, Incursus toe will immediately pop up in the process, so that's a huge warning sign that something's wrong and you should lock everything down again before applying any force to that knee.

Now, at the very extreme end of the knee bend, past 90 degrees, I see that the assembly does try to pop up the green tab a little bit, as that's the only thing left that can possibly move to relieve the pressure. But that's beyond the joint's natural range of motion. You have to put some actual force into it to push the joint past 90 degrees. I can see a severe, jarring, wrenching force doing that, in the advent of a hard fall, say. But there's no way the neck breaks with the toy simply standing there, under the force of gravity, if everything is locked in as it should be.

In the advent of an actual break there, my temptation would be to splice in a moveable neck peg (double barbell joint, at the very least), which would virtually eliminate any risk of a similar break whatsoever.

• Like Like x 2
  13. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    Hi folks, Im getting the sets here and would like to have the toon heads, anyone selling?

14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    ???

They all have 'toon heads. There are no alternates, other than the alternate face painting for Volatus/Blast-Off, and Fraudo/Swindle simply has alternate expressions.

Assaultus himself has a toy version head, but that's a separate add-on you'd have to buy separately, so just don't buy that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Craigmcgowan1984

Craigmcgowan1984 Wallet prepare for devastation

News Credits:
    Nice to see someone else struggled to see how the break happened if everything is connected in right. Still I'll be careful not to bend the knee too forcefully.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

On the resurfaced topic of the combined mode's stability, a friend of mine asked me to compare this set to XTB's Monolith (Menasor) and here's a slightly edited version of what I wrote:

Preface: I love the all in one combiner approach MMC took with Bruticus. The overall engineering and design are so satisfying. I love Brawl, BlastOff, and Vortex in that order, and I like, but don’t love, Swindle. I’m a bit neutral on Onslaught since he’s obviously more toy based than the others and his proportions are a bit off. I like how Bruticus looks but mine is just short of being a floppy mess, and that’s after I did everything I could to tighten the hip and knee joints. If the Incursus reissue solves the floppiness problem I’ll see if I can get replacement parts, and if not I’ll just buy another damn Incursus, but I won't be too happy about having to do that. I know some folks have had more luck with him, but the tolerances on mine are terrible - even when I stand him on carpet, his hips just keep giving way.

With all that out of the way - my copy of Menasor is really top heavy, but way more stable than MMC Bruticus. He’s definitely closer to Zeta Superion, in terms of stability, but not all the way there. Put another way: I worry about Bruticus falling over in any pose other than standing straight up because one of his joints will give. I worry about Menasor falling over because his center of gravity is really high, but not because one of his joints will give.

@RVDA @hardreturn @LazyAza I'm pinging y'all not to harass you, but to make sure the head honchos at MMC get a sense of how many folks have this issue and that it's not just "haters" complaining, but people who really love this set wishing it were just a little bit better. I really hope the Incursus reissue fixes these problems. If any of you want a video of me to show you the floppiness I'm talking about, I'm happy to oblige.

• Like Like x 4
  17. tantrum

tantrum Northwest fan

Ebay:
    I finally opened my Incursus today, instructions say head visor is supposed to light up but no mention of batteries needed ?

18. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    You will need batteries.

19. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube: