MMC OX Assaultus

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Devastator21, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

The set feels more inline with their Reformatted releases. So if you have any of those you know what to expect.The toys are constructed solidly out of good materials and don’t have many paint applications that could scratch during multiple transformations.
    They also don’t have a lot of small and delicate pieces that could break easily.

With the exception of Fraudo they are fun and easy to transform. Comparable to what you would expect from a mainline toy. Faudo is more challenging mostly due to tight joints and Incursus is almost too simple for a MP Transformer.

If you like to play with your toys regularly I would say this set is for you.

• Like Like x 4
  2. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

You can never go wrong with MMC's plastic quality. Except for maybe their Knight Morpher days.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

I would say the OX plastic for Backdraft, Terraegis and Sphiny is also different than the one used for Assaultus.
    I attribute this mostly due to the fact that they are constructed differently than the more recent releases.

4. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

Although true for the last several years, I find many of their old Reformatted figures to have relatively brittle plastic. Cynicus comes to mind first, but even Azalea and Seraphicus Prominon feel like their plastic is cheaper and thinner. The latter came out the same year as Carnifex, which has exceptional build quality at the same MSRP as well.

5. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

Those may have felt brittle, but try the Feralcons or Hexatron, those felt solid, like drop them off the roof solid.

6. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

Lol don't do that. You might kill someone.

• Like Like x 3
  7. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks Well-Known Member

I just don't want anything that feels like XTB, as I can't stand their plastic (and I say this as someone who had their G1 Stunticon set, minus trailer of course.....but we won't go into that...:)  ).
    I am a fan of DX9, Unique Toys, and Badcube's feel.
    The engineering of these MMC Combaticons intrigues me and I respect the work and creativity that went into the designs. I still favor some of the esthetic choices of the Unique Toys offerings (mainly bot mode for Onslaught, some elements of Blast Off, both Brawl's have their charms, both Swindle's have their drawbacks). I think MMC wins with their vortex.

8. idkwdya

idkwdya Nicks_Plastic_Shelf

Instagram:
    Wow he’s a big boy on the shelf! I’ll ultimately display them in robot modes in the long run, but for how easy the transformations are. It’s fun to see that combined mode for a while. And it gives you a good variety of size comparisons. CF69C7CA-7410-4117-862A-EFCAA5A9936A.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  9. XternalPrime

XternalPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Welp, accidentally broke part of incursus, so I'll be keeping them in combined mode from now on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks Well-Known Member

What broke?

11. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

No problems with stability on mine.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  12. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Scyla really nailed the key points, but I'll chime in with my .02 as someone who has both sets.

The UT set reminds me of FansProject M3 Menasor. A joy to look at but that's about it. The MMC has the playability down pat and it's actually enjoyable to take the MMC figures through their various modes and you can do it without the instructions. The UT transformations are not intuitive and often revolve around moving things past other things in ways that there's not enough clearance or just feels wrong. UT Vortex is particularly nasty and UT Brawl is no joy either.

Materials are very different between the two. The UT set uses this, as best as I can describe, soft plastic. I'm guessing it makes it more durable but it also means that parts don't peg and clip together cleanly and as satisfyingly as you'd expect. The MMC feels more high end imo, and also durable in that transforming it will not damage anything. The MMC wants to be played with. The UT wants to be posed on a shelf.

There are few things the UT set does extremely well. The combined mode is a much better looking Bruticus than the MMC. It's also more stable. Lastly, UT Swindle is the high water mark for an MP Swindle and hands down the best figure in the UT set. It's no surprise they started with that figure.

Right now I have the MMC as the bot modes and the UT as the Bruticus in my display. The MMC bot modes are still the best option for a G1 MP Combaticon team representation so far, imho, even with the aesthetic compromises for the all-in-one. The UT's are more stylized in comparison except for Swindle and maybe Onslaught. UT Vortex is a visual mess in bot mode as is UT Blast off. And I used to be ok with UT Brawl until I had the MMC in hand and saw a G1 toon scene. The MMC Brawl is very accurate to the toon.

• Like Like x 2
  13. nomolos

nomolos Well-Known Member

For me, the UT bruticus is definitely not better looking, but to each his own.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Contact MMC. They'll almost definitely help you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Diesel

Diesel The Legendary Super Saiyan

Agreed. MMC looks way better to me as well.
    Niiiiiiice. :thumb  Finally someone else other than me using the other more toon-accurate head on Volatus. Nice collection, by the way.
    And that Black Arcee reminds me of the chick-bot on this poster:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  16. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Ok need more info on recolors.

Supposedly there's a big toy show in China going on right now, surprised there's not been more info.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Duke spino

Duke spino Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It seems more like the newbies convention, cause mostly its newcoming 3p companies. Only exception I've seen are mastermade and tfc. Otherwise it has a new superion, tt hongli still showing off their second original mold, and the new beastwars vehicle line. And even though mastermade and tfc were there, nothing really new.

• Like Like x 2
  18. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

Really considering picking up these bois, but I need to know, for the shoulder ratchet replacement do you need a centre punch to knock out that pin, because I've never tried that before and am fairly scared to do it.

19. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of course these guys would have a sexy robot poster in the back, haha.

Definitely gonna try to recreate this once I get my last 2 in.

To me, kinda makes sense to save everything or TFcon since that's probably the most targeted audience while that China toy show sounds to be something more generalized. Though it kinda would make sense for them to show something there as well at the same time.

20. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Actually the biggest reveals over the last 2 years have been happening on the Chinese Toy Show in December. This is actually the first time I've heard of a toy show in October, so I thought they might want to start with a bang.

• Like Like x 1