MMC OX Assaultus

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Devastator21, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The general aesthetic isn't going to change. A person can judge how it looks by how it looks. For those of us who don't think this fits the MP aesthetic, that isn't going to suddenly change just because it gets officially released.

• Like Like x 1
  2. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Exactly. This is "old school" MP, my preferred MP. Not fanatical devotion to the toon and its errors, nor "just taking the original toy but adding joints", but trying to blend together a real-world alt-mode, with the best elements of the toy AND the toon robot, to create "the best possible representation of the character". The toon was based on the toys, the toys were based on vehicles popular in the 80's. All 3 of those things should be referenced.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually disagree strongly that this is old-school MP. When I look at a carbot in car mode, it looks like a model car with a few seam lines. These things are covered in visible hinges, flaps, and other random chunks of plastic.

I think these will be good, fun toys. To me though, they don't fit the MP standard at all.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    So... Going by your logic, Roadking and MP-36 don't fit the MP aesthetics either because they have visible hinges too...

• Like Like x 5
  5. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    You must have a very different MP Sideswipe than I do. It's like a pile of seams, connected by red bits...

• Like Like x 4
  6. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    good eye, the test shots have a lighter grey on the head, hands and thighs. the finals will match the promo pics with darker greys and black tires.

• Like Like x 2
  7. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    See, this is good to know. I'm aware of what the abbreviation stands for, but maybe I'm using the term CHUG incorrectly. To me, CHUG means the old 3P stuff we got before the G1 MPs became a thing. Stuff like MTCombiner series or Battle Tanker series or Causality series or TFC's stuff. Is that stuff not considered CHUG? That aesthetic, whatever the label for it, is what this set evokes, and Swindle in particular exhibits it the most. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Given the under-sized scaling in combined mode vs Zeta's established MP combiner scale, and the all-in-one gimmick, it's primarily the botmodes that interest me, and they still do. They just seem to be less of a definitive replacement for UT's set, given they aren't fully in with the current G1 MP aesthetic carried by 1P and other 3P products in that series, even other Ocular Max ones imho.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    CHUG has a (derogatory) term for anything that doesn't meet the poster's (often nebulous and sometimes shifting) definition of MP. Don't let anyone try to argue otherwise. People have been arguing over whether figures are or are not MP since I first created an account here. To quote a certain YouTube personality, "If you like it you win."

Me personally, I see where @edgecrusher and @Hoffman are coming from. I'm reserving my final judgement, but so far I think I prefer UT's Swindle. But at the same time, I think they're MP enough, and I don't actually think Fraudo looks bad. I'm curious to see how it all shakes out, and as a big Bruticus/Combaticon fan I'm almost definitely in for the whole set (once toy-style Onslaught is released, anyway).

• Like Like x 3
  9. edgecrusher

News Credits:
    Agree with the rest of your post, but that's silly. You're trying to force everyone into your definition of CHUG while simultaneously saying no one is allowed to argue otherwise. Well, just I defined what the term means to me and provided examples to help clarify what I'm seeing in this set that evokes a particular aesthetic from older pre G1MP third-party products. If you can see where I'm coming from with that sentiment, then there's no need to claim that no one can argue otherwise than your perspective that the term is only ever a nebulous catchall for "things people don't like".

• Like Like x 1
  10. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah that’s what I meant.
    Agreed. Although I wouldn’t say it’s like the old style, but the freedom is similar. MMC try to fit in with new standards of design and toon. But infuse any other different aspects that they also like.
    Lol, new MPs have even more seam lines. And to me, seam lines don’t change how much something belongs to a line. If it meant that much nothing would make sense.

• Like Like x 3
  11. edgecrusher

News Credits:
    And it's one of the things I dislike most about (what we've seen so far of) MP-44. They did a terrible job making it look smooth and cohesive like a cartoon figure, yet are supposedly trying to provide a more toon-authentic version of Optimus compared to MP-10. The toon OP never had a messy jumble of panels on his shoulders/backpack like that afaik. Given the asking price, we should expect better.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Ahh. I get you now. A Takara fan boy like myself, we got different thoughts.

13. ckchan

ckchan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah... You've got a point. What kind of mp is this?
    DSC_0952.JPG DSC_0951.JPG DSC_0950.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  14. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Decepticon Lover

The point is that it’s an amazing figure and it’s not gonna be perfectly devoid of seams. It’s capable of transforming! I kinda like the panel lines because they are something to look at. If you get what I mean lol....................certain figs could be cleaner of course.....but that doesn’t take away from the figures! Eh...................I don’t know....................now if it’s kibble, (DX9 Mightron) then I’d understand.....

• Like Like x 2
  15. edgecrusher

News Credits:
  16. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah, let's all circle back around. We've all done the CHUG/MP Asthetic thing about these guys once or twice before.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Decepticon Lover

Are the fingers on ball joints or hinges?

18. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Individual limb figures all have tilt joint at the base of solid individual fingers for the initial four, ball joint for the thumb.

Onslaught has all his knuckle joints on tilts with the thumb on a ball.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Bruticus88

Bruticus88 Bruticus devastate Devastator!

Anyone know the official height of the combined Not-Bruticus bot?

Anyone measure him at TF Con?

• Like Like x 1
  20. o1dpain1ess

o1dpain1ess Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Rumored to be 45cm or right around the 18" mark. Basically in line with UT's Bruticus, CW Devastator/Predaking, oversized KO Warbotron etc. Also nothing is confirmed but if they do feet add-ons like how @LazyAza did a mock rough of, that'd potentially add additional height.

• Like Like x 4