MMC or TFC Predaking

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by [email protected]!, Jul 16, 2014.

1. CH@OS!

[email protected]! Looking for my next job

I'm trying to figure out which Predaking to buy, seeing how they are both almost complete, so which is the better bot/design for my buck?

2. Gutts

Gutts Autobot

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    MMC ftw!

3. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    TFC... for me to poop on!!!

MMC of course!!!! Oh, and Coluuuumpio too while you are at it!!!

4. CH@OS!

[email protected]! Looking for my next job

ok so why is MMC better?

5. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    because he doesnt have this as a sword... oH and that damn archaic combiner port!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. HollyW00d

HollyW00d Collecting Freak

Bleck just look at that thing, TFC has a lot to learn from the other 3P companies.

7. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

8. BoNKerS

BoNKerS Well-Known Member

buahahaha awesome hahahah

Have a look at pics, jump on their respective thread and have a read... Any issues will be called out in the thread and beat to death so you won't miss it.
    How you spend your $500 is up to you.

9. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    From what I've repeatedly read across these boards, it sounds like MMC has some of the best plastic quality (and figures in general) out of any 3P.

Go with MMC

10. Lordsloth

Lordsloth Well-Known Member

Honestly, nobody can answer that for you. People can state their own preference/experience but in the end nobody but you can decide which esthetic you prefer.

My opinion leans toward MMC, if you're counting :)  Because I prefer the MMC reformatted look, despite some of its imperfections. I can also attest that the feral cons that I already own are of a very sturdy build quality. Note that I am not saying that the MMC build quality is better than TFC, I have no way of comparing, just that MMC's is good.

If I had the money to burn, I'd probably get both as they both have their neat qualities and I don't think either will be a bad toy. But I dont, so I cant, and there we are :) 

11. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MMC.....The colors are better in my opinion. I also like that razorclaw is similar size as the others. I didn't like TFC's decision to make their razorclaw so much larger than the others. Rex is rock solid too. I only have the 1st three at the moment but even in combined mode the guy is solid.

12. Skyfire87

Skyfire87 Phase 6r

This is just going to become a shit storm of people saying what they like is better.

You are better off doing some research and seeing which appeals to YOU more.

Personally, I'm in for both. I like them BOTH for different reasons. And they BOTH have Pros and cons. The tfc version is actually really cool, even if the mmc knights won't ever let that be known.

13. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    MMC, I got Bovis two weeks back. I can't wait to get the others.

14. Skrunklemin

Skrunklemin cool dude attitude

This guy knows what's up.

15. Lodril

Lodril Poet of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think they're both quality pieces, and you probably won't be really disappointed with either.

Weighing the options, for me the main deciding factor was the size of the center bot. TFC's follows the scramble-city style of having the central figure being larger, and is fairly dramatic in scale, which I found a negative. The MMC one scales better with Hasbro's Springer, and is closer in size to his comrades, even though he's still a bit bigger. I'd have a hard time explaining why that made such a big difference to me, but it was the thing that tipped the scales for me.

In the end, it's a purely aesthetic choice, and at this sort of price point, that's all you should have to worry about anyway. :) 

16. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Because:

- Quality: Some of the strongest plastic, and joints are tight, and it resist the drop test, and feels nice heavy eventhough no diecast is used. I would say quality wise, they are one, if not THE, best in the industry.

- Engineering: Locking Tabs / Mechanism throughout the toy at all key points you can imagine, ie nothing dangling. You get that good feeling that you locked it in place. Combiner ports are the same as MT Giant, ie very strong that stay strong, unlike the TFC that becomes loose fast. TFC combiner have a bad reputation for their combiner ports alone.

- Fun: It's fun to mess around with, and it's not too hard either, and so well made that you just want to pick it up and change pose or transform it or look at it simply. Not all figures are fun, they might look good, but not fun, these ones are.

- Paint App: Clean Matte, Mostly well chosen (with some exceptions here and there), and consistant, vs being random and too much

- Similar size bots, even the torso isn't humongously bigger than the rest, thus you have more consistency in bot / alt mode.

- Look like predacons, instead of looking like beast wars toys painted in predacon color palletes

- You get the best looking bot modes as well as an awesome looking combiner. Alt mode less good than TFC, which they excel at.

- Metallic Eyes that shine no matter what lighting condition you have, vs light piping from TFC that you need good lighting to see it's effect

- Light up gimmick on Feral Rex eyes, which looks great.

- Beautiful combining sword (gold) and gun (gun metal), and not some popsicle

- If you have a defective part / toy, they take care of you, even if your seller sux.

- Potential for more members to join the team if you want a bigger group: Felisaber and Feral Queen. All optional but cool for a bigger team.

- Knowing much before hand what the combined mode would have looked liked, instead of waiting to have many figures in hand before any clue is given.

- Feeling you got your money's worth

- Some communication here on the boards, vs NOTHING, complete radio silence. Thus some listening to feedback vs none.

- This one is debatable, and sometimes they lazy out of it, but they try to get you the perfect figure in hand now, that you don't have to fix later. It doesn't always happen, but they do take their time to try to fix things as much as they can foresee it. This results in huge delays, but some improvements on the figures.

It's not perfect, and I scream at some of their decisions for not fixing some colors that were promised and changed at the last minute randomly or factory error and not making replacements for them , but it's the best of all the options, and maybe of all the combiners out there, and they look and feel great overall.

Edit: As Artereis suggested getting one of MMC and TFC, and comparing, so get the same figure and compare, and this will be a nice test on what to expect from the rest. Get a figure you like of course look wise, so you have the option of selling the one you like less or keep it as it still looks good.

17. Zavien

Zavien Veteran

News Credits:
    This^^

18. Artereis

Artereis Well-Known Member

Since you're looking at a ~$500 purchase, it may be worth your time to buy one limb for each set and sell the one you don't enjoy.

19. TheGrognard

TheGrognard Well-Known Member

They're both good, get the one that appeals to you aesthetically.

20. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I'll be that guy and go with TFC.

-Personally I love the heft and serious mass of the combiner. He looks like a brute and has some incredible engineering as well.
    -I love how they fixed the torso to be rock solid and appropriately large to support the limbs.
    -I love how they incorporated a dedicated elbow piece into the combiner arms rather than just using the individual bots legs to serve double duty as arms.
    -I love that the individual weapons combine into one massive Popsicle sword (well... I did just paint part of the sword yesterday).
    -I absolutely LOVE the alt modes of each of the individual figures. They have far and away the best, most fun alt modes.
    -And my overall favorite thing is that I keep getting them out to transform them back and forth between the three modes and enjoy them all more each time I get them out.

MMC looks nice as a display figure, but TFC not only displays remarkably well, but is fun to play with as well. In my mind, that's more bang for your buck.