MMC/OcMax Backdraft vs Takara MP-33 Inferno - Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by edgecrusher, Jan 3, 2017.

?

Better Inferno for MP shelf?

1. Takara MP-33

46.8%
  2. MMC Backdraft

48.9%
  3. Other option (specified in comment)

4.3%
  1. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

MMC's pretty deep in the IDW market now, though. I'd say it might be in their best interest to continue with the Cross Dimension line (where they are unchallenged) and really strengthening the line-up to make sure collectors stay interested and invested in the line. Of course, fingers crossed that they pick the combiner line back up while they're at it.

2. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

It really comes down to whether you're looking for the G1 toon look or the G1 toy look for your collection. Official is obviously based on the toon model, Backdraft is obviously based on the G1 toy. Your call as to which look you prefer.

3. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I'm not a fan of their combiners (deluxe/scout scale isn't for me) nor their Cross Dimensions like. Though they DO *look* nice :) 

And for sure. I am all about MMC's IDW stuff haha ;) 

4. XIII

XIII TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. Maktoys Hellfire (fits other official MP much better. Silhouette is just very "grounded' and "beefy". Very similar to the silhouette of the official. Only thing that holds it back is the ladder is very cumbersome in bot mode. I own it and this is "my" Inferno.)
    2. Takara Inferno (Very close second. Just too under detailed to fit other official MP's. Otherwise, would be #1. Brilliant transformation. Alt mode looks very "toyish" and not believable. Ladder in alt mode is pathetic. I own this too but it just doesn't look right next to other MP)
    3. Hasbro/Takara classics Inferno (solid figure)
    4. Hasbro/Takara G1 Inferno (no need to describe here)
    5. pretty mush any other inferno
    ?... MMC Backdraft... (Detail wise it fits with MP line but has completely wonky proportions and questionable construction. Owned this and sold it. Just not well built compaired to Hellfire.)
    Since XTB Dante is not out yet, he is not on this list but my opinion is that he is way too big.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  5. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yep, I painted it silver (it comes grey like MP ironhide). He comes with a whole separate toy looking head, pops right off a ball peg IIRC.

6. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

The expression itself is a little derpy, but the silver finish looks NICE. Well done.

I was thinking that is also a better Perceptor face than the stock Tesla face. If it's all one piece though, that's more trouble than it's worth.

7. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haters gonna hate

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  8. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Thanks :)  hmmm I don't think his toy face comes apart, but I'll check if nobody has chimed in before I get home. I think the toy one does because it has articulated ears, but you wouldn't want that one on tesla...

9. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

Interesting list. I played with MT Hellfire, and he was just fun and well built to mess around with, and looked great in person. That said, the headsculpt of Takara and MMC look better. The ladder is big and not as good as the other solution, though i didnt feel it was a real challenge or detractor when in hand. But it is a toy i would like owning.

I never played with Takara, so no idea on it, but from video reviews alone, he looks fun too and well built, but probably needs some detailing / stickers to make him shine more. Well built means it gets picked up more and posed more often, and transformed.

For MMC, the sample i played with just felt questionable construction / joints. It was not fun like Hellfire. It has a nice headsculpt though, and ladder in the back is nice, and so are the legs, but the hips are somewhat odd. I guess we all display more than we play / transform, so this may look great with the rest, and has the best price, so that really helps.

Anyways, i enjoyed reading your list, because this is how i felt about MT vs MMC. I am not sure if the fans who love Backdraft have had better luck with quality, or maybe the looks of him just trumps over all, especially those who owned Hellfire previously, but i just felt i should not get the MMC at the time. The discounted price on the MMC though, yeah, it's much nicer.

• Like Like x 3
  10. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's why I think Maketoys kinda missed the boat on the IDW stuff now that MMC has such a strong line-up with their Reformatted line. I'm not much of a fan of their Re:Master line, either, Hellfire wasn't even part of my consideration when it comes to MP Inferno. Despotron was pretty good, but the head sculpt didn't do it for me, and it wasn't enough of an improvement to dethrone my Apollyon.

Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems MT and FP are both struggling a bit to find their place in the market ATM.

• Like Like x 1
  11. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

I feel that the MT new line can go well with the MMC Reformatted line, and that is where my Striker resides. Also, the MT pricing is aggressive, and great value for the buck, whilst MMC pricing is higher. That said, i feel the plastic from MMC still feels heavier / well built over MT Striker, at least for MMC Spartan/Commotus and the Feralcons are concerned and thus they are more stable / less likely to tip.

12. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Don't count out Make toys Hellfire....He is a really great figure!!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sepster

Sepster Well-Known Member

Maketoys Hellfire is my choice

14. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

I have seen a pic of the Takara Inferno next to the MakeToys Wrestle for Grapple, and that looked amazing.
    Takara Inferno is taller and sleeker, and Grapple is shorter, more squat, and more detailed.
    It's an amazing pairing. If I wanted to get both Inferno and Grapple that's exactly the way I'd go.

But since I just want one, I got MakeToys Hellfire, and I friggen love it.
    Is it "better" as our original poster asked?? There is no such thing.
    I prefer it. That is all any of us can say.

EDIT: here's that pic I was talking about.

compareInfernowGrapple.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

MMC Inferno. I have no hate for Takara's and the transformation is pretty fucking cool. I will get Grapple, though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i much prefer takara's but that's not saying the others look bad because none of them do

17. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    In hand, I prefer to mess with the takara one, its just a joy to transform and pose.

It doesn't fit in with the rest of my MP's though. Aesthetically its too different. Of the other two choices I went with the Maketoys version and I really like him in general.

18. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Actually i prefer the detail on backdraft, but Takara it's the only one that puts effort on a new transformation, they are the only company that solved the problem of the ladder, (grapple it' going to be better imo), but i prefer backdraft for classics/generations, and tt for masterpiece.

19. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've all three offerings. MMC Backdraft looks great all shiny and robot like. MT Hellfire will be alt mode cause that long ladder is what I think of on fire trucks. Debating on selling it cause I love MT Wrestle as he's stocky and beefy and the same mold. MP Inferno is fun to transform and looks okay. Just too plain or it'd perfect.

If I had to choose right now ....Backdraft wins. If reprolabels comes out with a sticker set to make Inferno not bland it becomes a more difficult choice.

20. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Good that people are mentioning MT Hellfire. I had him and though I sold him for Backdraft (since I also had Wrestle and wanted them to be different), I do feel that Hellfire is a more fun figure than Backdraft.

To me, Backdraft is the best looking MP Inferno there is. Neither the MP nor Hellfire comes close.

But Backdraft is also the least fun of the three (current) options. I love how he looks, but I don't like transforming him or posing him.

I did really enjoy transforming or posing Maketoys Hellfire. And if I had MP Inferno, then I know I would love transforming of posing that one.