MMC Nickel

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by godotislate, Oct 22, 2017.

1. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was her age ever stated? I judge her more on the fact that she's an annoying twerp. Every time I see her I get this nagging feeling that if she were human, she'd be that slightly overweight chick that complains about everything loudly while waiting in the line for coffee, and then holds everyone up by requesting a lukewarm coconut milk latte with one and a half shots of espresso and 3/4ths a squirt of caramel when every other normal person just wants their effing caffeine in a cup.

2. SpaghettiQuarterly

SpaghettiQuarterly Well-Known Member

Go away Anita. No one likes you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    Don't worry about it son.

4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That's sooo not who she is. She's the person who would stun that woman and jump the cue to order while everyone wonders what happened.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

For the most part, that's how I see her too. I don't get this hate for a character who has hardly drone anything or even had a whole story wrapped around (an "in your face" preachy style story).

• Like Like x 4
  6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Prejudice. That's all.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ehh. You've basically described a spoiled rich posh girl from a rom com and Nickels nothing like that at all.

I would say a perfect comparison to Nickel would be Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy, limited sense of humor, no interest in dealing with peoples bullshit, very straight laced and to the point and exceptionally intelligent. Keeps the team together, stops the meatheads and goofballs from doing things that are especially stupid if she can help it and yells at them when they fuck up real bad so they learn from their mistakes. Doubles as a surrogate mother figure / big sister who knows best.

Characters like her are vital for any team of misfits that goes on adventures doing whatever. Very common character archetype in sci fi media especially. I don't see how you can't just accept that's what she is. She just happens to be a small stature robot that probably sounds like a sass talking youthful girl with a synthesizer when she speaks haha.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  8. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    I dunno, someone said she's about 80 to me a while back. I'm still working on reading the Costa ongoing, soooooooooo...
    It was a joke. I thought I made it pretty obvious but I guess it wasn't well-written since I was half-asleep.
    But I agree that no one likes Anita. Except Anita.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Kevin Iaquinto

Kevin Iaquinto 8 Strings Enthusiast

News Credits:
    Ugh... this thread... muh nickel

• Like Like x 2
  10. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

How many nickels can you put into your mouth?

• Like Like x 1
  11. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Never enough.

• Like Like x 2
  12. The Smirker

NOoOoOoOOoOoooooo.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    allthenickels.jpg
    Yes.

• Like Like x 4
  14. The Smirker

• Like Like x 3
  15. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, that's the thing. I disagree with that. She's supposed to be that archetype, but she doesn't ring that way to me at all. I'll admit to being vitriolic about her, but that's about it. It was Nickel's appearance that effectively was a punctuation mark on my decision to stop reading the comics and it's honestly a bit of a sore spot for me, as I was honestly enjoying them up until the end of the Necroworld arc.

The DJD were played up to be the secret police - the guys Megatron had around to keep the thousands (millions?) of sociopathic Decepticons in line. Up until their complete deconstruction over a protracted period of time, they appeared to be fairly businesslike, if not a little passionate and/or baroque about how they operated.

Then came Nickel, who behaved very much like a little brat to me. She "scolded" the DJD who reacted to her like Starbucks employees with a bitchy shift manager. Her actions during the fight on Necroworld smacked more to me like a entitled, self righteous child who has no scope of what she's seeing or doing. The way she acts and speaks has little to do with her alleged "youth" and more to do with the fact that she appears more or less out of nowhere in a position of some level of authority, and we're asked to accept that this has been the dynamic all along and that what we've been led to believe is the one effective group in all of the Lost Light series is little more than another set of "wacky" oddballs(!).

I get that Roberts likes the hard left turn in storytelling. Nothing wrong with that. However, pulling the teeth out of the DJD and then killing them was a denouement for me. Good villains are the heart of any good conflict, and I thought what we were going to get was a great set of interesting guys over time. What we got was just what you described - another "Guardians of the Galaxy" set of goofballs, with another "very common" archetype that fell flat for me because she came off as bitchy and self entitled rather than intelligent and world weary.

That's just my take on her characterization, though and I totally respect those that feel that she fits their tastes. What I do love is her design and the fact that she's getting a toy. She looks great with the rest of the cast and I'm looking forward to adding her to my display. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  16. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  17. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Haha seems Klej already had the cool idea ages ago of making a gun version of Vos for Nickel. Yep definitely need to nag the boss to have us do this. Make Tarn n Tyran able to hold the gun too would make it extra worthwhile.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  18. Kevin Iaquinto

Kevin Iaquinto 8 Strings Enthusiast

News Credits:
    this thread..... muh nickel....

guys pls

• Like Like x 1
  19. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have neither, but I actually gave up on Cynicus seeing how many people have had bad experiences with him, particularly of the 'I haven't touched him for an year, picked him of, and his leg immediately broke off' variety. Got Boreas, very happy with him (yeah, I know he's not ultra accurate, but I don't actually care :)  )

• Like Like x 1
  20. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, that's your interpretation, but I actually think she had more character development than some other members (Helex/Tesarus; as a matter of fact, I'd even say she's had more development than Kaon). Also, I'd just like to point out some basic facts: she's the sole survivor of an entire civilization; she doesn't withhold from a fight, and she gets her hands dirty. I don't think that the DJD would have much respect for a person like you described, much less trust her with such a intimate (in terms of the knowledge she must have on them owing to her function). I'm not sure where you got an image of her as a spoiled-princess-like character, she's much more of the grumpy mechanic/doctor type. What you described, IMHO, is closer to Kaon (see Your Fierce Tears).

• Like Like x 4