MMC Nickel

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by godotislate, Oct 22, 2017.

1. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    They're very reminiscent of the weird, one off characters prevalent in the original Marvel UK run of Transformers. See stuff like the original Mayhem Attack Squad, Pyro, the Decepticon Triumverate, etc. I suspect that they were supposed to be Robert's version of those guys, except actually competent. The problem is that they never got a proper buildup, exploration and/or sendoff. They basically were awful monsters for a few books, we got like 2 books of backstory/development.

And then they died.

Compare that to all the exploration we got on Overlord. Odd and inconsistent, but at least we got cool looking dudes out of the deal.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Nickel is supposed to come off as this rough, foul mouthed den mother type coming out of an adorably roly poly robot.
    What she comes off as is that loud, obnoxious person that acts like she knows what's best at all times to the point you want to shove her under a bus.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Altihex

Altihex Well-Known Member

Good: We finally have confirmation of a complete DJD. :D 

Bad: I have ZERO idea how I'm going to afford this, what with POTP (I mean, Abominus? Beachcomber? A not-hideous Dinobot combiner?!) ...

2018 is going to be a very difficult year. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

Mostly I'm feeling good. I don't mind the size (any smaller and there would be sacrifices), but not that face. We finally have a character who actually has an iron factory style femme face and this is what they give us.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Could be worse. They could have a Rick Sanchez optional face, and release it as the "Nickel Rick" variant.

• Like Like x 6
  6. godotislate

godotislate B Gata H Kei

News Credits:
    I think the face is ok, but it could stand to be more round or square.
    The bigger thing is that the helmet stands too far proud from her face, so it's sunken in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    She is the sole survivor of a planet who's population was massacred by the the Black Box Consortia.
    The DJD found her and due to what happened to her their worldview became very appealing to her.
    She functions as their medic but is always prepared to join in battle.
    When Tarn got Deathsaurus and his group of deserters to join him to bring Megatron to "justice" she started to notice early on he was starting to loose the plot.
    She displayed leadership skills by ordering a tactical retreat for Deathsaurus's crew when it became clear they needed to save their asses and leave the DJD to their doom.

What she is supposed to "come off as" i don't know since i'm not familiar with that term in the english language.

She is smaller than average, so people with extreme prejudice against smaller than average characters see her as cutesy and dislike her because of their own preconceived view on smaller than average characters.
    What a surprise.

• Like Like x 3
  8. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Asked about her face yesterday was told she's going to have two head options apparently. One is based on her season 1 appearance / concept sketch where she had a nose and the other is based on her season 2 somewhat cuter noseless face. Yay head options.

• Like Like x 5
  9. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does she transform?Whats her alt mode supposed to be?

• Like Like x 1
  10. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Quad changer. Submarine, buggy and jet. More utilitarian like a Sixshot though so she just has slight alterations between the modes.

• Like Like x 2
  11. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 7
  12. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At least thanks for that sketches.

• Like Like x 1
  13. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    Please don't sully something as entertaining as rick and morty by lumping it together with something as shitty as nickel

14. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I give up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    "Come off as", is meant to note what role she's supposed to play in the narrative. What purpose does she serve, characterwise? She's supposed to be a "humanizing" agent for the DJD. She's also supposed to be quirky and somewhat humorous, as the DJD characters remarked on how foul and cantakerous she was. Those are character traits one typically expects from a grumpy old character like Kup, Ironhide, or in some continuities, Ratchet. Instead, she's tiny and cute.

For me, she missed the mark on that. I get what role she's supposed to fill and what her personality is supposed to do given her appearance. I don't mind that she's cute, and I liked the attempt. However, in my opinion Roberts can be wildly inconsistent with characterization, especially when: 1) he hasn't touched the character in a while; 2) appears to have rushed a concept into the story without putting more thought into it. The latter can result in good storytelling as long as he keeps at it and modifying it on the fly.

That being said, Nickel, and the entire issue she debuted in, was a massive "record scratch" moment for me. I don't mind that the DJD has an angry munchkin medic. Tarn running his outfit like the world's most metal office job was also OK - in fact, I would have loved the DJD even more if they were less a bunch of sadists and more like really grumpy clock punching joes that got handed the job of professional murder squad only because they were really good at it as opposed to being a bunch of maniacs.

However, it was all just kinda thrown up against the wall. Too forced, too much, too soon. The big bogeymen of the series got pantsed in one issue. All of a sudden we were asked to accept: 1) that a bunch of hideous murderers are routinely cowed by a plucky nobody; 2) that all of them get work evaluations, just like us!; 3) that Tarn (and the lot of them) have a BIG WEAKNESS, you know, aside from Tarn's transformation addiction that really never got addressed save as a minor plot point years ago.

And so on. If this got built up over time, or if Roberts kept going with it, it'd be one thing. Instead, we see Nickel behaving like a douchebag and then suddenly the DJD dies 2 issues later. At that point, the DJD was outed as being secretly a bunch of weenies that got bossed around by a hockey puck with an attitude. It's like finding out in the DVD liner notes that the Alien in Aliens was canonically 3 midgets in a costume.

...still gonna buy her, though. Love the character design.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    That was one issue. That whole comedy routine was very flawed i agree, but to say that is what she is supposed to be is disregarding all her other appearances. And i don't think Nickel has a showerbag as an altmode.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    I've got all the issues with her appearances. I don't think I'm being dismissive of them at all - I simply don't find her particularly appealing as a character and don't feel like she had any particular depth or gravitas to her in any of them. I think she's a ridiculous twerp that doesn't need to exist. That's just me - totally my opinion, man.

I like her design and her concept, but I found her execution poor an uninteresting. Grankly don't feel like Roberts is going to put enough time into her to make her interesting. The best part is that if I'm wrong, then I'll be happily surprised. While it might seem like I have strong opinions regarding her, I really don't. I will say, however, that the end of the Necroworld story arc really made me stop reading the comic, however.

...also I never commented on her altmode, so I assume you're addressing someone else. :p 

18. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if several hundred wallets cried out in terror, and were silenced...

seriously, though, we won't have the complete group in-hand until 2020 at the earliest.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Okay, fair enough.
    I hope Roberts'll make her more interesting to you in future then.
    I hope we'll see more of her and Deathy in any case :) 

20. Buford

Buford Master Spark

The DJD Office Space episode did work for me to a degree. They had been painted as this unstoppable psycho killer boogeyman and it turns out they are a bunch of losers that justify their desire to murder by trying to look legit. The entire point of the DJD is that they are a band of worthless nobody losers that only have power through their reputation and mainlining weapons grade drugs. They are dangerous, especially when they go berserk, but somebody like Overlord who is both a legit threat and couldn't give a turbofox's ass about his image could best them easily as long as he wasn't incapacitated at the time. What you see is what you get with Overlord, but the DJD have this big propaganda curtain obscuring them so fear does most of their work for them.

Megatron couldn't control one of his biggest guns - Overlord - so his creation of the DJD was to try and prevent that from happening on a regular basis. Their existence was like instituting decimation to keep troops in line, and the image was more important than the substance. They did have to be effective for this tactic to work, but they also had to be able to be completely controlled and keep their minds numb to any dissent. And what is more mind numbing than progress reports and having long boring meetings about your "action items"?

• Like Like x 5