MMC Nickel

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by godotislate, Oct 22, 2017.

1. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For what it's worth, the TFCC Krok scales better, but it's hard to find and even more expensive.

2. Nook

Nook Till all are gone

News Credits:
    Not really. It is a biit wider, but this one is taller. And, for my taste, resembles Krok much better

3. ProtectronPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Er, yes. I won't deny that the Titans Return Krok is the best looking Krok. However, the TFCC scales better. As in, it's shorter. IDW Krok skews on the short size. He's usually depicted as about the same size as Fulcrum and Crankcase give or take (who are short bots), shorter than Misfire, and much shorter than the (weirdly) gigantic Spinister.

upload_2019-7-8_13-49-7.png

[​IMG]

4. Nook

Nook Till all are gone

News Credits:
    Oh, I see, you mean he is shorter. Looking at this pic, my team is not thaat bad in terms of scale :) 

5. TheSuperion

TheSuperion No am Bishoujo!

Spinster and Flywheels are both Voyager sized in IDW, if Nick Roche is anyone to go by. In fact, Flywheels is bigger than a usual voyager. He appears to be about Tarn sized.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. ProtectronPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never thought much about Flywheels since he kinda died really fast, but that does appear accurate. Crankcase, Krok and Misfire kinda fluctuate from panel to panel, so it's impossible to tell half the time who's supposed be what. At any rate, perhaps someone can kitbash an Overlord to get a proper IDW Flywheels.

7. toretilo

toretilo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd like her a tad smaller, in line with the others, but it is what it is, and it's a cool figure.

20190709_015110-1.jpg

Don't do justice to your name and go buy them :p , it's good to have them around. And for Pipes I'm using the MFT for now, as you can see.

20190709_022227-1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

I got these two in and I am fairly impressed with both for different reasons.

Ni(ckel): She is adorable and surprisingly intricate. This complexity is impressive and fussy.
    She has a lot of pinned joints that could have been friction joints. He accessories are fun.

Foxwire (Dominus Ambus/Vos/The Pet): He is aesthetically different than most other transformers.
    Especially his box-mate. While simple, the figure s fun and very poseable. His likeness is about as accurate
    to the printed source material as it can be. He could be a bit more blue in my opinion.

9. transform75

transform75 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Most pics I see are with nickel. Can some of you post pics of the pet with generations deluxe or voyagers?

I might consider ravage and wonder about the size

10. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Start your week the DJD way!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  11. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    petscale1.jpg
    petscale2.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got this the other day. Wasn’t really following the release. Just knew I wanted a Nickel figure and the MMC makes good quality stuff and has never let me down before. So I had no idea that this was coming with a Vos sniper rifle. That said, anyone have pictures of the rifle that came with Nickel compared to MMC’s earlier transforming Vos in rifle mode? Points if you can also give me a pic of Vos holding Vos for laughs.

13. transform75

transform75 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  14. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    As much as I like Nickel, the standout is totally Dominus.

• Like Like x 1
  15. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    "I've disciplined bigger bots than you, Pal"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    "You have lovely wheels..."
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nook

Nook Till all are gone

News Credits:
    Anyone willing to part with the bonus rifle? Would love to buy it

18. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Although I got cold feet along the way, my wife convinced me that I should get them. No regrets here, they're great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  19. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Apparently people are happy with these two so far.

I'm not.

First, my parcel got returned to PSX before even arriving in New Zealand.
    Then they resent it.
    Then they arrived today.
    The box was squashed and smashed. Probably NZ Post at fault because they're a bunch of useless pricks, but anyway.

Most of Nickel's accessories were floating loose in the box, outside of the plastic baggy they're meant to be inside. The manual/comic was squashed (not that it matters much - the instructions go between "crystal clear" and "wut", and appear poorly laid-out).

I'm not here to sway anyone's opinion, but I'm here to tell you about my experiences and how utterly disappointed I am with these two figures.

Dominus' tail is awful. It unpegs all the damn time, especially every time you try to move it on the balljoints. The peg design seems neat but is terribly executed - it just won't hold together.
    The chest piece pops off all the time. It was loose in the box. It tabs back in solidly... and then falls off again once you breathe anywhere near him.
    The robot head sits rather low in beast mode and his face can't be hidden.

He's fiddly to transform and has some loose joints (mainly the hips, but to be fair, they're not too bad), with some parts tabbing in tighter than others, and the missile launchers popping out way too easily because they're just pegged in.
    His hands can't hold anything, and at least on mine, there is a bunch of mould flash on the alternate head.

Oh, and his torso is a wobbly mess. The instructions say to pull it up for robot mode (though it ironically comes packaged like this in beast mode), but then he wobbles. If you leave it down in the beast mode configuration, it doesn't wobble. The multiple joints throughout the whole figure don't really help either, but admittedly it's not quite as much of a wobbly mess as I expected.
    The positives are that he stands fine and the paint is fine (except for a bit of red paint splashed somewhere it wasn't meant to be, but thankfully it came off very easily with my thumbnail, which is more than can be said about the MP Optimus Primal I got on Monday).

Then there's Nickel. The figure I've been looking forward to before she was even announced. So yeah, maybe I'm biased. Maybe I just expected more. But MMC has a reputation, and I've had some of their figures before. They were pretty good.
    So... Nickel. Nickel's not a good figure. She looks fantastic. The head sculpt is perfect, and the included faces are absolutely brilliant. The little tools are cute too (I especially love the little hammer). I dare say Nickel is one of the cutest Transformers ever made, especially when it comes to this figure.

What's not so brilliant is the engineering. Starting with the faces: the instructions say you must unscrew the head to swap the faces. Don't. The antennae fall out and it's a pain. The whole head comes apart. It's a mess and unnecessary for you to swap the faces. Just pop the head off instead - you can get access to the faces almost as easily. You'll still need some kind of spudger though (plastic, preferably). It's annoying to do but arguably worth it because all four faces are adorable.

The transformation is a disaster. Pushing the calves into place feels awful - tiny, thin legs with multiple joints that require the force of a thousand suns to push them into place, and even after that, they don't lock the ankles in place - her wheels are much harder to turn but they still turn. Thankfully, she can still stand up despite this... but it takes a moment's practice to get used to positioning her and dealing with the weight of her backpack.

Speaking of things that require the force of a thousand suns: the arms. Whoever thought that arm sliding mechanism was a good idea should be slapped. They're so bloody tight that I can barely move them. Heck, I can't even get her right arm all the way down. I ended up putting an imprint of her headlight into my hand and it still hadn't moved any further.

And then there are the issues with nothing tabbing in. Okay, almost nothing. Once you figure out how the chest panel slides and can log in the torso, that works fine. The legs sort of lock in fine.
    Nothing else does.
    Her head does not lock into place - it's like Masterpiece Tracks all over again (and for anyone not aware, I hate Masterpiece Tracks despite really liking Tracks in general). That's after you manage to get it up and turn it around without it smacking into everything - there's very little clearance and it's a pain... and then the antennae can be a pain to move (one of mine is loose, one isn't, and the one that isn't has some mould flash on it so until I cut it off properly, it won't stand up completely straight).
    Her backpack doesn't tab into anything in robot mode, so it just flops around (it's not really loose, but the rocket boosters or tanks or whatever are very easy to knock).
    And possibly worst of all is that her arms don't lock into anything. The entire blue/green inner shoulder/torso area just sits there. Loosely. Tabs into nothing at all. For no apparent reason, because there's room for something in there to be added to tab it in. But nope. Nothing. I'm sure some people will argue that this is "extra articulation". I'd argue it creates a huge gap in her torso which shouldn't be there.
    Finally, her wrists don't lock in place and just flap around, especially once you put the rifle in her hand. I fully expected her not to handle the weight, but the fact that she can barely even pose with the rifle in her hands (I mean, come on, even the instructions show her standing side-on) whilst they flop around on these balljoints (swivels might have been a better choice, if less expressive, in my opinion) is really disappointing.

As for the Vos rifle, it's fine. The scope is loose and just falls off of it. The tip of the rifle turns very loosely in place, but doesn't come off. The monitor... thing is somewhat loose but not as much as the two aforementioned parts.
    Otherwise, it's nice. A bit of mould flash here and there but not a big deal. Not sure why such a simple piece has so many loose parts though.

So there are my thoughts, in a "Great Wall of Text" form. As per usual, I have a lot to say about new figures I get. The thing is, I'm super-critical even of figures I adore (which people hate, but those people can suck it - my opinions of toys are not a personal attack on you, so get over it). These figures though... I'm just super-critical. I'm not impressed. They look good (Nickel in particular looks amazing), but the engineering is rather disappointing. The fact that Nickel barely tabs together blows my mind - it feels like the sort of engineering we'd have seen years ago from third-party products, not modern-day third-party, and that's disappointing. I honestly expected way better of MMC, because they have delivered better. This ain't it - at least, not for me.

• Like Like x 2
  20. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My opinion is very different from yours (I like both very much), but I agree that the engineering could have been better, particularly on Nickel. Those antennae are a PITA (I need to get a plastic spudger), and the lack of tabs for the arms is irritating. The other things don't bother me as much. As to the neck, I understand that it gives us some additional range, but a 'thooping point' (as Emgo calls it) that would lock the neck in default position would be greatly appreciated.

As we're talking about the negatives, I'd add that Pet could use a bit more paint (I've even compared him to the comics, and he was a bit more detailed).

Finally, they're pricey. I don't feel ripped of (as I've said, I like them), and this is partially my fault. I waited and was uncertain whether to get them, and had to get them at a store which is pricier than Kapow (which is my normal go-to for MMC toys; also, still paid less for them than from ebay scalpers). Then again, I also managed to snag a fairly cheap Roadbuster.

• Like Like x 1