MMC Nickel

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by godotislate, Oct 22, 2017.

1. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Cynicus was made with the same plastic as many other highly praised high quality mmc toys at the time. You've misunderstood design flaws as quality flaws. He was overly reliant on structurally frail but integral parts so no amount of "quality" would have saved him from his fate lest he have been cast entirely in pom. It was more a case of excessive ambition for his articulation and underestimation on how making his transformation so inefficient would result in a bloated quantity of thin moving parts in general he shouldn't have had.

Precisely why IF's Mizar is likely to have no such issues at all, nothing to do with materials, everything to do with him being designed almost exactly as Cynicus should have been.

Azalea's arms as well, its not at all a material quality issue but her having some very thin elbow parts that are not resilient to external side-side pressure. Many people will naturally pull and push on elbows and forearms on toys when aiming to rotate the entire arm rather than going directly for the bicep rotation point. Doing so with Azalea's arms carries with it high risk of snapping them so you always wanna go for the biceps. Doesn't help that this isn't noted in her instructions at all when it really should be.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    Design flaws are still quality flaws. If the parts are not structurally sound due to the material used, another more durable material should be used. It's just poor planning. Symantics aside, if this is the same type of situation, why has MMC never learned from previous figures? How many times do they need to get burned before they learn not to touch fire?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I want Nickel too.
    The very probable fragility is exactly what makes this package not good value for what you get.
    If these figures were guaranteed to withstand multiple transformations it would be great value.
    As it stands they'll probably never leave my shelf.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Azalea, original Azalea released before Cynicus and had tonnes of thin parts herself and was perfectly fine.

MMC has also released a tonne of casette tape bots, all deluxes, all with thin body parts and pieces. Hellion as well, many thin piece on him. Toys like Seraph despite being voyagers also have some pretty thin parts.

All of these examples disprove whatever negative narrative you're trying to spin about mmc do they not?

What really makes no sense to me though is if you actually look carefully at Fox and Ni you can clearly see how different their designs are to Cynicus. Fox is a larger relatively very simple toy with very few parts intended solely for transformation while all his articulation parts pull double duty in both modes and in the case of his limbs; they are much broader than that of Cynicus'. This toy (I believe) was designed by Cynicus' same designer and already showcases these "lessons" you claim to have not been learned by being a more focused more efficient design with a sturdier overall structure.

Ni was designed by someone else entirely and she's a pudgy toy with thick plastic pieces in all her key structure areas so you should be even less worried about her.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  5. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    Not that this is terribly important, but are you sure about who the designers are? I think @griffith76 did Cynicus, as I recall he mentioned in an interview with @Turnman long ago on the MMC Hub blog. And I think @Byrin did Foxwire.

Anyway, I think that not all fragility issues that result from design are necessarily apparent during the production process. When MMC's designers and engineers get test shots/prototypes back from the factory to inspect, they know how the toy works, so they might be less likely to discover potential breakage points during handling. Since MMC is a small company, I doubt it has a lot of play testers, or the resources to produce a whole bunch of extra "crash-test" prototypes that they can fling around and discover every possible issue. I'm sure they do this to a smaller extent, but definitely not to the point of being able to simulate the wide range of actions the mass public will put the figure through. (Not to mention issues from a small set of bad copies.)

So experience from public feedback is the best guide, and as @LazyAza's laid out, it seems MMC by and large has taken that into account for newer figures. Obviously that doesn't mean that every figure going forward is going to be completely issue-free. And as for OX Azalea, the number of reports of elbow breakages seem to be pretty small so far. I believe that part is already cast in POM, which is as durable as it gets for plastics in this application.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ah I might have been mislead by one of Byrins old renders a while back then.

Yeah point I was making is I think ichnach is leveling rather wild accusations of mmc being very neglectful and incompetent based solely on a very small sampling of examples instead of a broader look of all their work with figures using a variety of part types and less conventional design and I'm not sure why he is. I get where he's coming from but his logic isn't really gelling for me with what he's saying.

We all have toys that concern us from several companies, thin parts are thin parts, plastic is plastic. This is why I always employ maximum caution when I handle my figures even if I have no reason to fear things its simply a wise thing to do. If something looks thin don't test it, don't risk it. Doesn't matter what the toy looks like or who made it. Always be as careful as possible with all such parts on any toy.

Cynicus was a bad design, no argument from me. But Fox nor Ni do not look at all like they'll repeat the same mistakes so I've no reason to be concerned for them.

• Like Like x 4
  7. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Correction: I was thinking of Impetus. ShowZ doesn't have a final price up yet.
    The alternate colour Vos rifle was an early pre-order bonus. Not really sure why the bonuses aren't included with all pre-orders, but anyway...
    With all that being said, would it be possible for MMC to cast Cynicus in a more flexible plastic? It might make him more... flexible? Bendy? Whatever. But if it's possible to use a different kind of plastic to make him more durable, that could help.
    Then again, if they could do that, they probably would have already done that, so yeah... Probably not possible then, I'm guessing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I think the only way to fix that mold would be to re-mold a bunch of parts. I'd say it's worth it to fix the Vos mold up, but I'd also be down for an entirely new Vos mold from anyone so long as it can transform without issue. But yeah, maybe release this rifle as a bonus pack for those who don't want the Pet or Nickel.

9. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Probably not. He was 80 dollars -with- flawed design and standard materials. If mmc revised him with improved materials/design alterations that would only serve to make him a bigger expense and require a higher price tag I would assume.

They would have to eat the cost as it were if they kept him at the same price and have to hope against hope their is a monumental quantity of people who would be interested him still and a great many others with an existing copy willing to replace it. I simply don't see the logic in gambling on that miracle scenario for them. It's a whole lot of money to spend on a bandaid for a project I'd wager mmc would rather move on from and put behind them.

The free rifle coming with this set itself is in a round about way a kind of half-way apology for Cynicus I would think. Now with it as a factor people don't really have reason to transform cynicus if they get this set so anyone with an unbroken copy needn't burden them self with worrying about the results of transforming him today. At least that's how I see it. I've certainly not transformed mine in a long time and I've no reason to anymore.

• Like Like x 6
  10. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    I figured as much, but I was just curious if they could use something like the nylon plastic that XTB/KFC has been using on certain parts lately and just inject it into the existing moulds. I'm guessing they'd need to be modified to suit the moulds though, and then that could be an issue. But you're right that it doesn't really make sense either way. Personally, I'm a bit torn on missing out because I want him, but I don't want a figure that will break if transformed.

Ah well, maybe we can get an oversized KO of Iron Factory's Vos that'll scale well with the rest of MMC's DJD, and the Vos rifle with the two-pack will indeed be a nice bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Just have to wait for IF to release and/or MFT's to get a hold of one. My Vos has been fine, I handle mine too but there are points in his transformation that don't feel as smooth and good as it could be (the chest crest should pull up and lock in, for example) but while I don't want a 2.0 (because it will for sure add to the price and he feels expensive enough as is, if not $15 more then a similar sized figure would be) I would be into a small, upcaled even Legends figure lie IF or MFT's.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's correct. Griffith did Cynicus. There was a Cassy design of it first but I believed nothing was salvaged from that. The initial run with the crumbling plastic was made in a different factory. Only that figure was made there and the reissues of the mold was done in the factory that does the Reformatted stuff (now also doing Ocular Max).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

Ok. Ive checked my calendar and these are the next toys I expect to be getting.

So..... let’s get these out

I’m so pleased with my cynicus I’m tempted to press my luck and tf him again sometime

14. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Finally got my pre-order in a couple of weeks ago on PSX... but now the release date has been changed from April 7th to May 20th. :( 

Guess I'll just keep waiting for my Nickel (and Pet).

15. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That sucks. Deathsaurus is waiting for his girlfriend.

• Like Like x 3
  16. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Cynicus was made at a different factory then Azalea. Azalea was made same factory as previous Reformatted figures. That said, the other factory used for Cynicus was one from a very reliable other 3rd party that most fans love the quality...

My original had parts that disentegrated with time. I received replacement part, that had the same issue...

I still damn love my 2 Cynicus though, haha, looks really awesome in bot mode and has really nice articulation. But my Azaleas are so much more sturdier and well built.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thebricklord

Thebricklord Well-Known Member

Just saw that the release date was pushed back. Gonna have to contact PlanetSteelExpress then and see if I can change the shipping adress as I will be home from University by then.

18. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Oh dear Primus.

Do I even want to know what kind of train wreck he designed before they said “lol no.”

Someone, anywhere got a picture? I’m guessing lot’s of greeble/vents/lines.

Maybe he transformed into a spaceship with tank treads... .... .........

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  19. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    I just assumed it would have been broken out of the box, and into smaller pieces, instead of breaking later after actually being used.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    so BBTS is projecting this comes out in april, do you think we'll actually get it in April or closer to May or June???