MMC Mastermind Creations Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hybrid Style, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Opticaloptics

Opticaloptics Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Honestly same. I've been waiting so long for Nautica and other idw styled fembots. I was hoping after Eris did well MMC would hit the gas.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Super Mecha Dad

Super Mecha Dad Your mechanical father.

Twitter:
    It seems like Eris Armadon is still available for MSRP, which isn't a great sign.

Still, even if we're just doing a greatest hits, I'd kill for an Eris Evil.

• Like Like x 2
  3. IronPrime2169

IronPrime2169 Supreme Leader of the Bluepremacy

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I did :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  5. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Cultus Volcanicus

News Credits:
    Make sure to use PayPal and make sure you don't have the same password for paypal that you do for TFSource.

Sure, you shouldn't need to have to do that, but TFSource and/or their payment processor shouldn't be using such trash security, if not just selling people's data to thieves, given the biannual regularity that TFS has with their data breaches over the last 15 or 16 years at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I think most people bought snd supported Eris because she was just a pretty fembot. Which isn’t bad. This is why I did it too.

I didn’t purchase her in hopes of spending thousands of dollars on a completely new line that will be out of scale and out of aesthetic though, to the already few lines I am collecting now. I’m just not interested.

Then came Eris v2 with the messed up face that I don’t think MMC has remedied to this day…? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I had zero interest in this one even before knowing about the face fiasco, because I have v1, which I liked much better to the then previewed v2.

Then came Eris Armando. Again, not interested in a whole new line and I have Eris v1. My favorite. No need for this figure.

Their upcoming IF Drift sure *looks neat,* especially that bot mode. Went out of their way to make him an AE86 though — because again, new line — instead of the Silvia (which I would have wanted to pre-order instantly. That and if he was the same size as their other reformatted Drift molds)… but alas! No new line for me.

I’m deep into MP, Reformatted/IDW/comic accurate voyager figures (and figures which scale with their voyager brethren) and Legends. I just can’t not afford a whole new line that means nothing to me. That doesn’t mean I wish to see it fail though. I hope whomever gushed over that IF Drift buys a copy… or two!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Super Mecha Dad

Twitter:
    Oh, I'll almost certainly buy the initial (heh) IF Drift, and then again when they do the BttF / Gigawatt version. I'm stupid like that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I'm having similar issues with MMC's new direction. Love the idea behind Infinite Finity, hate the scale, not a fan of the character choice so far. I would've bought the Drift if it fit in with Reformatted figures, but it doesn't. That's a problem for MMC, in my opinion, and here's why: most-but not all-MMC collectors already have a CHUG scale Reformatted collection, and IF fits exactly nowhere in that collection. I collect mostly IDW, but even if they produced a character from IDW in the IF line that I wanted, it wouldn't work with the figures I already have. Personally, not dipping into the line unless they produce a character with some scale wiggle room that fits with my collection. Onto the second issue: Most-but not all-MP collectors are not interested in unique designs. They want G1 stuff, and G1 stuff only. And IF is MP scale, which is presumably aimed at them.

Now, MMC has their Ocular Max line to cater to the G1 audience, but who, exactly, is the IF line for? Don't get me wrong, it's cool, impressive engineering...but I like my Transformers CHUG scaled, what can I say? Thank God Takara is coming through with their new Rodimus, looks like Takara and Flame Toys are the (presumably) super-expensive savior for IDW. Really feeling like MMC is Anakin Skywalker, they were the chosen one for IDW fans, and now they've fallen to the MP dark-side. Yeah, yeah, go where the money is...but hey, Takara, Planet X, and Flame toys are all still making money off IDW, maybe it's just a sign to up your game with the engineering and articulation and pick more popular characters, yeah?

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Super Mecha Dad

Twitter:
    I think scale is one of those things you just can't take too seriously with Transformers, because it's clear that Hasbro doesn't.

upload_2024-5-14_17-6-26.png

that's a leader, two deluxes, and 3 voyagers in that pic.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Honesty

News Credits:
    If MMC were to a Nautica (and any remolds from her — Velocity? Firestar?) a properly sized/scaled Turmoil v2 (which they could possibly heavily remold into a proper scaled v2 Roadbuster) with a more accurate alt mode, accurate seekers (F22 Raptors?), the van bros and maybe revisit their Dai Atlas design?

I’m sure they could make a killing.

And I’m right there with you. OX caters to the MP/G1 crowd. You won’t be seeing the “G1 only” guys purchasing any IF stuff.

Oh trust me. Scale means everything to me. If something doesn’t fit, I just won’t buy it.

Besides! I have reformatted Impactor and he scales just fine with my T30 Springer and Brainstorm ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  11. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I don't mind a little wiggle room with scale, I have a few FH figures, some Hasbro CHUG stuff, and the OM combiners mixed into my mostly Reformatted-scale collection. I take photos of my figures together, and the idea is to have them look (roughly, within reason) as close to as in-scale as possible. Which is to say, IF Drift will not work for me, especially because the Reformatted one and the Flame Toys one already exist, and I like them both waaaay better.

The only reason I'm expressing this is because, well, I want MMC to make figures I want. IF is supposedly MMC's replacement for Reformatted, and that makes me kinda mad, honestly. IF Drift is a beautiful, wonderful looking figure, that I have absolutely no interest in. And that's a crying shame, because I love MMC and I want to continue to collect their products. Sure, I'm in for the combiners because they work loosely as being in scale with CHUG stuff in combined mode (and I fucking love combiners), but everything else? (so far) Nah. I really wish I wasn't saying that either, I want to want this stuff, but I have Eris, and frankly she's a regret. Cool-looking, but her damn fingers disintegrated, her hips look weird, plus the whole scale issue. She's sitting in a bag on a shelf somewhere, haven't even transformed her. And agh, that's frustrating, it's not as if I don't want to like a figure.

There's a certain mentality here that, when you're a fan of a company, you support every decision they make. Obviously we haven't been doing that, because Reformatted died...but hey, I'm trying. I have a copy of almost every Reformatted mold, excluding the Insecticons, Arcee, and Nova Prime molds (who are on my list). Hell, my photos have been used (without asking, but I don't mind) as promotional imagery for their figures! I really support MMC. I have made purchases from this company for a long time, and would like to continue, but they have to give me the opportunity! So yeah, I'm unhappy with the loss of the Reformatted line, and I think it's a bad decision.

My theory as to why Reformatted performed poorly near the end is this: poor character choice (loved them don't get me wrong, but why were we doing C-tier characters like the DJD and Doubledealer before, say, Ratchet and Starscream?), lack of innovation in terms of articulation and polish (Optus Pexus was their late solution to this, but Reformatted figures weren't quite up to modern standards in terms of articulation and paint until recently), and poor timing (hard to generate interest for a comic series that's been dead for almost a decade). MMC's solution to the line performing poorly was to cancel the line. Makes some sense from a business perspective, but given Pexus' popularity, it seems...hasty. I will again mention that IDW is having a resurgence; Hasbro, Takara, Flame Toys, and Planet X are all producing IDW figures, and they're selling well. Legacy Tarn, for instance, is going for crazy prices on eBay because everyone wants him. Everyone's raving about that new Rodimus. There is demand for IDW, which means the Reformatted line could still potentially be lucrative for MMC.

This is all to say that I would like to see the Reformatted line continue, in a limited fashion. One, two releases a year would make me happy. Just make 'em special! Pick good characters! Innovate!

I would love all of those, especially the Seekers.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Honesty

News Credits:
    @lordcryotek -

It just makes me sad as well. I feel bad that some of the designers here (and even ones who lurk but don’t post), see these messages sometimes from us/from fans, and might feel a little bad (or irritated to a lesser extent), but I don’t think mourning the loss of a very fun, very unique and very cool line is a bad thing.

They pulled us in with reformatted and it only got better and better .. albeit slowly…! But it did get better. Especially right there at the end. And just because they pulled me in with reformatted, doesn’t mean I’m going to support IF (or Ox, even, personally). Talking about IF and Eris in these last few posts have me feeling a certain way also. I might actually package her up and throw her up on eBay someday soon.

Planet X seems to be doing just fine. And this is a company who doesn’t put out remolds (although they love mirroring their parts a little too much!). Flame Toys seem to be doing just fine. And as you said, Hasbro (and Takara) have also jumped into the game.

Who knows. Maybe if XX doesn’t go so well for MMC and they continue to see the choices (and money) other companies are making, perhaps they’ll revisit IDW.

• Like Like x 3
  13. northernautobot

northernautobot Frozen Autobot in MN

Makes me wonder how much $$ they have tied up in the Defensor/Devastator.

However, outside of this thread and the occasional PX release, no one's really doing mainline/CHUG scale. It's either MP or Legends, so I'm sure MMC is taking that into consideration. And since Reformatted was mainline/CHUG, I'm sure if we were to see future IDW adaptations from them, it'd be in more of the MP/Legends scale. And even then, one could argue that PX's latest releases have been more closely aligned to CHUGsterpiece than true "can fit in with the mainline without issue" like Reformatted could.

To be clear, I don't want this. I want more Reformatted, as I think it's the perfect blend of playability, durability, and high-end collectability.

I do have to disagree with @lordcryotek in regards to C tier characters being what killed Reformatted. Everyone wanted a finished DJD, but the Deathsaurus ship sailed when Hasbro announced theirs, and D-Zef seemed to be in dev hell for so long, they had to release it, and give us Doubledealer to help make the mold cost worth it. However, after that, beyond the con exclusives (which they were contractually obligated to deliver so far as I know and have almost always followed a Superhero motif), the last Reformatted figures we got were Rung, Pexus, Getaway, and a ton of reissues of the more popular IDW Reformatted characters like Overlord, the DJD, Megatron, Rodimus, and Drift. Maybe if you look as far back as Brawn/Guzzle you'll find some questionable decisions, but I would be shocked if that release was what led to the downturn in Reformatted.

I don't think it was character choice that led to the demise of Reformatted. I think it was the market (unfortunately) dictating which scales made the most money. There's a reason Supermax failed and FT Cerebros was snapped up immediately, and I'm betting it wasn't due to cost - I think the money for companies is in either MP or Legends.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Honesty

News Credits:
    It was probably a mix of a few decisions. I don’t blame them for not putting out their Star Saber (as PX’s is about as perfect as can be), and cancelling their Grimlock (again, don’t think it would have ever been close to PX’s offering) but not putting out their Fort Max and relying on kickstarter was a dumb move. Didn’t a reissue of Overlord also fail on Kickstarter and then when they reissued him without crowdfunding, he was immediately snatched up?

They’re not Hasbro. They’re not going to garner a bunch of attention and help from crowdfunding via Kick Starter (the irony if it was a Patreon thing though; probably would have worked).

It’s sad Chromedome and Rewind (and Rung) didn’t do very well. I loved them very very much. But I think people were really starving for some figures that really would have wowed a majority of people. Starscream, Thundercracker (especially these two. A Buster would have been icing on the cake) & Skywarp would have done wonders.

A Ratchet with a cool/accurate alt mode would have likely done wonders too (personally, I am so sick of Hasbro putting out dinky deluxe sized van bro figures).

A Nautica would have been a no-brainer. Everyone loves fembots. But alas.

I’m more than sure there a lot of “mainly official figures only” people who will google and seek out figures they don’t have and “relent” when it comes to filling a hole in their collection. They’re not all about MP (otherwise Hasbro’s mainline would have ceased to exist long ago). There are still tons of people here too that dislike MP … as rare-ish as it seems.

But as you said, putting out a Deathsaurus when PX already did theirs and Hasbro’s was out, likely wasn’t a good idea. And them doing a (Double) Dealer remold without trying to make him look like his IDW self was a nail in the coffin (instead he looks neither G1 or IDW!)

• Like Like x 2
  15. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Ah well, you missed some of my post if you think the only reason I think Reformatted failed is the character choice, it was multiple issues (again, a theory). To reiterate, I think it was the character choice combined with the lack of modern features, and then the end of the IDW comic series. So three big reasons, but now that you mention it, yes, third party has shifted focus to MP and Legends, so a fourth factor. Would think that leaves the market open, if it exists, though it's gotta be there given the aforementioned companies doing IDW figures currently, at a loosely CHUG scale.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DigiMae

DigiMae Active Member

Man, I'd love for them to make a Pharma, but that ship has probably sailed. I suppose he just wasn't in enough media to justify it - though my Tarn needs a friend to help terrorize the other figures! :D 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Honesty

News Credits:
    Pharma/Metalhawk — could have done either or and made a remold out of the other. Which I think has been quoted to actually been happening at one point, before it/they were scrapped.

And the scrapped Ratchet. Ratchet and Pharma would have been wonderful.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Super Mecha Dad

Twitter:
    Pop quiz, which one of these is MP scale
    20240508_132500.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  19. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Cultus Volcanicus

News Credits:
    I agree with most of your argument, but I don't think D-Zef sold badly, and I think it's the best version of the character available right now.

Instead, I think it was Rung and Chromedome who didn't meet expectations.

I also don't think it's just a matter of them having to sell well, but they also then had to compete with how well Ocular Max has been selling, and especially in light of the the number of reissues that Assaultus has gone through.

That in combination with the severe risk aversion of Boss Penguin makes things seem to be inevitable.

But, only time will tell if Reformatted stays offline or gets rebooted.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Enemy

Enemy "I? I... am a monument... to all your sins."

If anyone's looking for a loose Commotus, I've got one in my sales thread. (link in sig if there's any interest)

• Like Like x 1