MMC Mastermind Creations Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hybrid Style, Apr 12, 2013.

1. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Roller:
    Roller.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. SuperGiantThing

SuperGiantThing Artist When I Feel Like It

News Credits:
    *items sold*

Also, I'll ask this question here if anybody wants to answer, which figures that are currently out are absolute MUST haves on an IDW shelf?

I have several and want to trim it down to no more than 12. I'm only keeping Tarn as far as the DJD goes, so hope that narrows it down a bit haha. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this :) 

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  3. aaadriiann

aaadriiann Ornament

Ebay:
    To me I would have to decide first if I want a full team or not, say Wreckers or DJD? That would help determine keeping those on said teams. Then I go with keeping Lost Light crew, so Rodimus, Whirl, Cyclonus, Drift, Megatron, etc... because it was my favorite comic line. What are you attached to in terms of the IDW stuff or characters?

4. SuperGiantThing

News Credits:

I love it all! But... I do not want to overdo it as I like the way it looks when it's a small number of figures and it makes me appreciate them all even more. I had the whole DJD set but I sold them off and right now I only have Tarn (which I'm keeping) and kaon (which I'm selling). I also had a good wreckers group going but also chose to let them go as I have those up for sale too. I guess just a good summary of the whole, with random pieces from each part of IDW.

The upcoming Rung from MMC is a must buy, so he will be going on the shelf whenever he is out.

5. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

Hey man always good to chat with you! For your question, are you asking in terms of shelf presence, importance in comics or playability? Cuz I think some figures excel in one or more than the other. For example, I absolutely love transforming Aero Alpha back and forth as the engineering is fun and he looks good in both modes with lots of weapons. But he’s not that important to the story. On the other hand, Boreas is essential in terms of story (especially with Maketoys Tailgate) but god be sucks in terms of playability and presence.

Personally my favorite MMC mold/figures are probably Overlord, Roller, Orion Pax, Megatron, Helex, Turmoil and Drift. But it wouldn’t make sense to have Helex and not the rest of the DJD haha.

Outside of MMC bots, I think Generation Toy OPEX and Tyrant make a good duo, though they are a different scale than MMC. They have good shelf presence and playability with fun transformations and obviously are important to the non-MTMTE lore.

In terms of shelf presence, you can’t beat out anything from the GCreation GDW line. The presence and articulation of their Prowl and Sixshot are incredible. I don’t have their Prime but personally I do like his look more than OPEX. But damn I don’t want to transform any of their bots haha.

6. SuperGiantThing

News Credits:
    Howdy!

So I was thinking in regard to the importance of the character to the story and the overall run of the IDW lost light stuff. I love so many of these figures, yet I feel the more I have the more I forget about how cool they are individually. I have sold and bought gcreation prowl so many times haha but I just got him again and I know for sure I have to keep him.
    Turmoil was really nice and I had him for a while but he was too small and did not really stand out in my black shelf :/
    I feel that as I have replied to just two messages I'm thinking that the must haves for me so far are

MMC optimus
    MMC megatron
    MMC tarn
    MMC drift
    MMC rodimus
    MMC chromedome and rewind

Gen springer
    Maketoys tailgate
    Maketoys swerve
    CW magnus with the upgrades

Would love a better cyclonus
    And a skids or nautica :/

And damn I answered my own question lmao

7. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

That’s definitely a great bunch! Yeah I shouldn’t have forgotten about Maketoys Swerve and CW Magnus with X2 upgrades. I like springer too but didn’t mention him as you just sold your Spartan - personally I feel like they pair well together.

I’d also get T30 Brainstorm with reprolabels to complement Chromedome, and MMC Roller to go with Orion Pax (I know Roller isn’t as important to the story but I love that mold so much haha). Personally I like the mold better on Roller than Tarn.

8. User_121147

User_121147 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah mmc needs to make their own tailgate, swerve, prowl, etc.... like many people have said it's never bad to have too many options.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SuperGiantThing

News Credits:
    I have roller and brainstorm, they're great!
    Roller really went up on the tier list for me once MMCs optimus came out haha.

T30 springer is decked out with that Dr. Wu gun set and reprolabels, I don't think I'd ever get rid of it because of it representing my discovery of the IDW stuff.

I originally wanted Exitus but I'm not sure anymore since he's not a must and I feel he'd pair well with overlord, which I'm looking to get rid of.

10. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Well-Known Member

PXL_20210326_230239581.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  11. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

My advice would be to not get rid of Carnifex, at least not for that low of a price...he's only going to rise in value.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SuperGiantThing

News Credits:
    I think you're right, I will just put this guy away and pop him back out once MMCs fort max comes out haha

• Like Like x 2
  13. MadMaximus

The tumbler-lite PXL_20210328_133122004.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. MadMaximus

If I can only get one... Should I pick mors or tortor?

15. Desmang

Desmang Mang of Men

Mors, I think the colors pop a lot more and the alt mode is a lot more impressive

16. Sanity Bleeds

Sanity Bleeds Well-Known Member

Personally, would say Mors. Tortor is a bigger, bulkier bot, but he has more issues with paint rub, and a very boring transformation. My copy came with a whole list of qc issues to fix, but that's not a consistent complaint as far as I can tell. Mors was just a better looking, more fun bot, IMO.

17. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Spelling Chekcer

Tortor, because he's the one that stood out for me from the comic with his chest blade gimmick. I had to remember back to figure out what was special about Helex/Mors. Tortor also has that trademark "X" across his face which stands out as much as Tarn's face. Tortor can be posed with half a bot being devoured while I can't find anything nearly as fun to pose with Mors (he's got the other half of the bot I've fed into Tortor). I find Mors just a little bit more boring in that regard. But I've got them both now and they're great. Can't go wrong with either.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MadMaximus

Thanks for the advice, is toy arena.com legit?

19. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

If you've got Mech Ideas Apex and Gemini and/or Maketoys Trash Talk and Rear End, you've got a plethora of small, mangled IDW heads and legs to stick inside his chest cavity/furnace; however, it's still not as visually impressive as having half of Siege Skytread sticking out of Tortor.

20. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Paint him black and give him a big old cape and I think they could make a Batman out of this guy too.

Make Eject a Robin repaint too... Lol

• Like Like x 1