MMC KULTUR - IDW Tarn

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by bullettrain, Apr 19, 2015.

1. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of the most overrated figures in the history of 3P.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Grievlocke

Grievlocke 5mm Addict TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To be fair, twice as big doesn't mean twice as tall. As far as mass is concerned, he is pretty much twice as big. Better articulation and lights, flametoys Tarn has -presence-. He is definitively what Tarn represents. MMCs offering is fine but rather spindly and poorly articulated.

Also, I own neither. I have the IF Tarn lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

At this point, I'm expecting The Winds of Winter first.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

While I respect that this is your opinion(and agree with some points), I take umbrage at the "poorly articulated" part. Save for his cannon (Which everyone already agrees was a bit of a design flaw) the articulation of this figure is fine. I have no problems getting him into many poses, some of which the Flame Toys version has been showcased doing.

Granted this is also my opinion, but i have seen people happier with less for much more money.

That said,I think conversely my biggest complaint with this figure is the forearms/hands.most of the reason thus figure looks spindly is because of them, at least in my opinion.
    Idk about overrated. A lot of 3P newbies need to start somewhere, and Kuktur is one of the more affordable ones who also features a fan favorite character. Are there better figures? Of course there are. But very few are as affordable *looks at Flame Toys*

• Like Like x 1
  5. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

So many shots fired.
    Try eating a Snickers Bar once in a while, dude

• Like Like x 10
  6. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The general use of the term twice a big very literally implies twice as tall or at least; taking up more space. So no, I disagree and think its a false statement to make when comparing Flame Tarn to Kultur.

But spindly? nah Kultur isn't spindly, what he is is a bit awkward in select areas like his arms. Poorly articulated though? that's completely untrue, his only real limitation is the clearance issue with the right elbow but bend the arm just right and even that can be dealt with. His neck, shoulders, elbows, waist, hips, knees, ankles all have quite nice ranges to them still and I wish more mps could pose as well as Kultur can.

I'd say Iron Factory actually have the prettiest robot mode of the Tarn's we've had. Flame's may be well built and hefty but its still very stylized whereas the IF toy is very true to the comic. I'd say their are aspects to Kultur that still stand out, aspects to IF's that do and aspects to Flame's that do. None of them is definitively superior in all regards.

This is precisely why I crave another variation, a new toy from PlanetX even of same size as Kultur would be very welcome if we never get an MP. I could easily see someone taking lessons from the past efforts and finally making the ultimate perfect Tarn toy and I pray we get that some day.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Sonofadefro

Sonofadefro Don't waste food. I'll keel you

I just dont like the size of it. Tbh, i shouldnt even comment since i want my tarn to scale with MP figures. Its a good chug, but i would never pay this kind of price for a chug sized figure. Its unthinkable, for me

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fair enough.

MP-scale is about the level where economics of scale intersect, and 3P prices can be comparable to official. Anything less than that level of presentation, as intended to integrate with Classics or Legends or such, will come up significantly worse in that regard.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sonofadefro

Not always comparable to official. The recent UT challenger was SGD138. kultur still retails at SGD145. In terms of size, material and engineering, challenger is way more sophisticated. But what justifes the price tag on MMC figures? The idea is that MMC figures are premium chug. And i would even argue they are a niche that doesnt directly compete with most other companies. Except of course planet X who now realises that the IDW market has too much untapped potential. But you are very seemingly correct to say that MP scale seems to be where economies of scale intersect (i dont have statistics, but considering the price and quantity of 3P and official MP, that seems right). I suspect that MMC's prices are higher because they believe they dont have direct competition in terms of premium chug. Of course, this can change if competition like planet X steps up their game

10. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    you have to take into account personal value, for me most (95%) of MP are a poor value, where as for me CHUG, what i believe to be CHUG anyways is closer to being a great value

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Yeah, the IF figures lately have me about ready to sell the rest of my collection and go all in on Legends.

12. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

He’s one of my favorite pieces in all of my entire collection(s). I’d say he’s a hot item for a reason.

Funny you say this, as MMC Tarn is better built and feels better in hand than many official HasTak MP figures. And a lot of 3P MP figures as well.

• Like Like x 7
  13. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Some folks' analysis is effectively, "is this a figure, and how much does it cost?"
    For them, build quality, or pose-ability, or likeness, etc., are just not part of the equation. For them, if they don't care about those things, then Mainline Hasbro is definitely the better value, just because it's so inexpensive in comparison.
    And if that's what they care about, good for them, I guess :/

• Like Like x 2
  14. Aaronstampler

Aaronstampler Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You never know what's gonna be popular and what won't be. I'm pretty sure I grabbed the last Kultur available on any of the well-known sites when I got one from Planetsteelexpress, but meanwhile M-21 Titanika is absolutely impossible to find anywhere, as is M-14 Commotus, but meanwhile they can't give M-13 Spartan away. Every site has plenty of him left.

15. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

Spartan just got another reissue a few months ago. Commotus has only had one release a few years ago..

16. Sonofadefro

Thats exactly why i am holding out for another 3P to make a Tarn with better poseability and closer likeness. I had a crazy itch for a Tarn figure for a long time, but after looking at the flame toys tarn, i am convinced that it wont be long before we get a better looking(transforming) tarn. But different collectors perceive value differently. Some want die cast, some want more paint, some want a good shelf presence. If we are considering a $100+ figure, we definitely should consult our own purposes. Nobody pays these kind of prices "just because" they can

17. Soma

Soma Well-Known Member

I don't know when you came up in collecting, but we're looking at a very fringe character with 3 good versions already... what company is producing your dream version and how are they funded? Everyone that wants a Tarn already bought one. You're just setting yourself up to pay aftermarket prices for a figure you had a dozen chances to get mint.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dmaa

dmaa Junior Member

Huh. Didn't realize they were about the same size.

• Like Like x 1
  19. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  20. Sonofadefro

Yea since i picked up ismenios and fell in love with it, i decided i i finally have a good reason to get kultur. I mean, why let old feuds get in the way of a good siege? Got mine MISB at a reasonable $110. But he NEEDS to be leaderclass height if he is ever gonna scale properly with MP stuff. In my pics, he is standing on a transparent gundam base to add height 20190914_162547.jpg 20190914_153643.jpg a7ecab1e74753b0b7333f9fb97665d45.png

• Like Like x 9