MMC KULTUR - IDW Tarn

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by bullettrain, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Isa0

Isa0 Well-Known Member

2. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    So good Ive just bought a second.

I guess I'll need that combined-Form after all.

3. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    gotcha, i'll keep my eyes on it not sure it's needed for me since only his other arm that holds his melee weapon that's important to me, heck both him and Commotus have their cannons pointing down.....Chaos too lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

Thanks! What material do you most recommend? What will look the best & still be durable enough? Too many options!

EDIT: Also, any chance of you posting a brief review video? It's hard to really tell from the pictures what this thing looks like in person, but I'm interested!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  5. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    In a moment of weakness(?) I ordered him. I've been eyeing the figure for so long, and after messing with some of my other MMC figures, I couldn't help it.
    I have no connection to the character, but the design is sick and I've heard nothing but praise for the figure, so I feel confident.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

Do not feel alone, friend! I have been mulling over purchasing KulTarn for the better part of two years, but had only just recently gotten a job where I had any kind of disposable income!

I do not regret this purchase. Only regret I have is that it took me so long to get him. Especially compared to his predecessors (Kaon and Vos), he is solid as hell.

I was tempted by the Flametoys version of Tarn but.... eh? He might work for some but I think the proportions on that figure are even more off than Kultur, and Kultur actually transforms ha ha

7. Chainlink

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, I favored this over Flame Toys as well. I prefer the wildly stylized look of the Flame Toys version, but I'm not in the market to drop $400 on a figure. Plus, lack of transformation (oh if only someone could give us transforming figures in the Flame Toys aesthetic).

Also, Kultur is scheduled to arrive today! I'm excited to get him in hand.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

The look of that Flame Toys Tarn is everything I wanted but I haven't bought it just because it doesn't transform. I would gladly pay $400+ for a transforming version. I might have to break my rule for the Fallen though. I think this Flame toys version will be the best we will get of that guy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Spicytron

Oh, no doubt, if flametoys did a transforming version I would be much more inclined to drop half a paycheck on him. But until then..

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chainlink

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Opened and messed with him a bit. Regular MMC quality I've come to expect. But there are a few gripes that prevent him from being perfect.
    Vehicle mode-wise, I wish the turret could rotate a full 360, but that's a minor issue I can live with. Also, am I doing something wrong or do the rear treads sit higher than the front ones?
    No issues with transformation. It's clean and gets the job done.
    Robot mode, I wish the outer shoulder treads locked in. Just some little tabs are all they needed to stop them from wobbling around. But the worst thing is that cannon. Not being able to bend his elbow with the canon attached feels like a huge oversight. Really hampers some posing options.

But otherwise, yeah. He's pretty cool. Looks fantastic, too. I'm happy, but if they could'a fixed the cannon issue, he'd be pretty much perfect.

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not pegging the legs/feet down fully, maybe? Mine sits flat.

I don't really have problems with the shoulder treads, since the joints are tight.

You rather overstate the forearm mount problem, though. While it's true that the cannon gets in the way of a smooth elbow bend, it doesn't actually stop you from posing the arm at all.

12. Chainlink

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, the legs weren't sitting right, so the vehicle mode treads are fine. In my defense, I hadn't transformed him much.

The shoulder treads aren't a huge detail, but them locking in so they didn't wobble at all would be a nice bit of fit and finish that I'd appreciate seeing.

And for the cannon... Sorry, it hampers movement, and I don't care for it. Yeah, you can finagle a 90 degree bend, but the cannon's going to be bumping against the little tooth on the tread. His elbow barely bends in any meaningful fashion, and that's a mark against the figure in my book.

13. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    just 1 page back is a link to new cannon adapter that was created that fixes that problem

14. Chainlink

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I saw. I'll probably need to print that...

15. User_96283

User_96283 Banned

20190218_163213.jpg
    20190218_163622.jpg

The upgrade arm adapter is awesome, but it did take a fair bit of sanding in the holes and the section that goes up against the back of the lower cannon to get things plugged in. Works great in the alt mode peg hole albeit slightly loose, but this can be fixed easily enough with some floor polish I'm sure.
    All in all, makes a huge difference to nullifying the figures only flaw imo and looks so much more badass in poses now.

Thanks @theestampede !

• Like Like x 7
  16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The cannons only collide with the arm tread when the bicep swivel is 100% square. Turn the bicep at least 10-15 degrees in either direction, and it doesn't really collide anymore. Slightly cumbersome, but hasn't stopped me at all from getting his cannon arm into any poses.

17. Spicytron

lmao @theestampede I see you included a Gold and Platinum option in your printing choices. You crafty devil :p 

I think I will print this out in one of the cheap-o plastics and see if it works for me. If it does then I might drop a little more for the nicer materials/finishes

18. timcourtois

@MINDVVIPE , how did you get the vehicle mode peg attached to the main body of the adapter? Did you have to sand it down at all? I'm trying to shove it in there, but it doesn't want to go, & I'm afraid of breaking it.

Also, which side is the little ridge on the vehicle mode peg supposed to be facing? I don't understand what that ridge is for...

@theestampede , can you shed some light on this for me as well?

19. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I sculpted some little grooves to slide the peg into going from back to front. I don’t know how the plastics Shapeways use affected those grooves (or peg sizes for that matter) so I bet there’s a chance their plastic makes it difficult to see. Some plastics shrink, some warp, and some do other unpredictable things.

I’ll try and take some pictures of the 3D model later tonight when I get home to hopefully make it more clear.

Oh, and the ridge faces the back. It’s there so you can fit a fingernail in there. Didn’t want the peg to get in too tight and not have a way to pull it up.

Lol ya I saw that option on there the first time I uploaded something and it cracked me up. Figured I’d leave the option available since it makes me laugh. Plus, who doesn’t like options?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  20. timcourtois

Gotcha, thanks. I saw the grooves, but I was still having a hard time pushing it in. I’ll try again, and may have to sand down the nubs a bit.

Thanks for having the forethought to put the ridge on there for prying it up. I love little design touches like that. I didn’t realize that’s what it was for.

Looking forward to getting this thing all painted up!

• Like Like x 1