MMC Jaegertron (Lockdown)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Oct 25, 2014.

1. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Honestly the entire figure has some rather bizarre design and build quality choices. For example the biceps are very tight but the tolerances are such that folding up the arms for jet mode forces the forearms away from the shoulders slightly which means the wing assembly has a much harder time remaining tabbed in place and holding the whole mid section of the jet together.

And then you have the friction hip joints for swiveling forward and back which until tightened with some material are weirdly too loose to properly support such a heavy upper body. So his stability is somewhat limited until you do that.

But then you get to the knees which are so insanely tight folding up the legs to get them nicely tabbed in is a little more difficult than it should be.

Meanwhile the head-gun canon is a two piece assembly, for... no reason at all. Like I can't even fathom why on earth it had to be a head and a gun barrel and wasn't molded solid or glued together.

And the shoulders are designed in such a manner they bump in to his back parts unless you move them out the way.

I still like Jaegertron a lot, he's a tonne of fun and looks visually really freaking cool. But from top to bottom I don't understand how his design ended up the way it did when their are seemingly a tonne of obvious solutions to all of his minor drawbacks. It feels like it was done by some new hire designer and this is his very first project as apposed to a seasoned designer like cassy or grif, but I'm pretty sure they both had a hand in him.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cybermuz

Cybermuz Member

Ebay:
    For what it's worth, if you separate the head-gun into two parts, they can store in the closed display case, so all the loose bits can be kept together.

Also, all the comments about nowhere to store the swords in vehicle mode; just leave them in the back/nosecone sheaths when you transform him (once you've straightened them out obviously). I even managed to insert them there when he was in vehicle mode with little difficulty.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lucas maximus

lucas maximus Need more Kain...

As stated above, the swords do store in alt mode just staying in their sheathes. I really like the guy, but he does seem like a slip in quality from the other reformatted releases. Now saying its on par with something from hasbro is a bit of a stretch, because it is most definitely still superior, but is a SLIGHT misstep for mmc. it's still a cool figure.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    Some new pictures that I've taken over the last few days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  5. divinecomedy

divinecomedy JAB-A-WOOOKIE

News Credits:
    ^ Look at the rough plastic, and weep. If only they'd polished this figure and tightened the shoulders, it would have been a fun one. Great looking alt mode too.

For naysayers (to the low quality of this release), name me one regular (not limited) Reformatted release with a QC like this one.

6. Aurawind

Aurawind Lazy Headmaster

Just got this figure on the weekend and he's pretty cool, I really love the colours (he could work for Monster Energy or XBox :p )! His ship mode, specially the cockpit, reminds me of a batmobile or batwing, which is awesome! I love the visor head but not the gun face... imo gun face is dumb... but works as one of the ship's gun. The trophy/weapon case is a really cool idea, I like that it can attach in ship mode, but it's a little tricky to get on. Though I am disappointed he can't actually use the shield... As for the quality, to me, the plastic feels a little weird, it's solid but feels a bit soft, it's hard to explain, maybe it's just the outer texture, but it's OK. The sucky part is that it seems to be slightly vulnerable to scratches/scuff marks, which on mine is really only the shield that had scuff marks out of the box. The only other issue I have is the shoulders don't "lock" into the body very securely, they weren't super loose, but while rotating the shoulders they could easily unlock from the body.

Now for the shoulders I did manage to fix them with a heat gun. The issue is that the grey piece that rotates and "locks" into the body is leaning away from the body instead of pushing towards it.

First, when you open the body, you want to keep the front downwards and slowly lift the back, you want to be careful not to lose the two little grey ratchet parts (they aren't connected to anything, they just sit there).

20161024_201231.jpg

In green shows the fixed grey part is pushing towards the body, in red the original grey part is leaning away from the body.

20161024_202449.jpg

What you want to do is heat the grey piece about 5 inches from the head gun for 1 min, and then bend it outwards and put it under cold water for 1 min. Should look like this:

20161024_204349.jpg

When putting everything together, attach the arms to the back and the legs to the front. Then make sure the two little grey ratchet pieces are in the body, and then carefully place the back over the front while making sure the little ratchet pieces don't move.

20161024_203049.jpg

After the fix, they shoulders stay locked when rotating the them, I'm even able to hold the figure by the shoulder and it will stay in place. And it doesn't interfere with the wing tabs in ship mode.

20161024_205238.jpg

Hopefully this fix helps some of you guys. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Isa0

Isa0 Well-Known Member

Nice! Going to try that when I get mines later this week. Just hope I don't put the hair dryer too close.

8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Cynicus broke after a few transformations.
    Havent handled this toy yet but starting to dread it, cause i never took all the celebretations of MMC's quality to serious as is.

9. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    i seem to have alot of tab issues with mine in jet mode...

the forearms do not stay tabbed into the shoulders at all
    the wing parts dont want to stay either

in robot mode this guy is awesome but for how simple a transformation he is nothing seems to line up right and i've been working at it for a bit

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  10. divinecomedy

divinecomedy JAB-A-WOOOKIE

News Credits:
    Every 3rd party figure always has its lemons. It sucks to get a lemon, I certainly have my share, but I can't recall whether the problem with Cynicus was widespread or not.

11. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Well I got mine today, transformed it, had the frustrating issues with tabbing the wings together in jets mode, but otherwise I have to say it's as great a figure as I first hoped back when I pre-ordered it.
    I'm assuming either some people had slightly unrealistic expectations, or my own expectations were lowered from hearing words like "a lemon" and such here on the boards so I was ready for worse than what I got. Or maybe I just got lucky and mine doesn't have so many problems.

Either way, I got right to work on doing some mods and paint work to the trophy case stuff. Resculpted and/or repainted his face collection to be Autobots ( Optimus, Hound, Goldbug, Ironhide, and Rodimus) because I didn't care much for a set of pristine Predacon faces in there, detailed the weapons, and painted the case thrusters.
    Since it looks like those thrusters don't end up in the back of spacecraft cargo mode I'm guessing they must be so his case can travel to him whenever he needs it for swapping weapons or loading new faces of his fallen bounties. COOL.

EDIT: Added pics of Jaegertron himself with some extra details like gunmetal and silver over the gray parts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ragifoesmasher

Ragifoesmasher Well-Known Member

Badass .

13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I think i recall there where issues with the versions of Cynicus coming from "the new factory".
    I wouldnt call them widespread, but i think i recall there being a few people who had lemons.

14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    Completed my photo album for this figure on my Facebook photography page. Also let my thoughts known on this figure.

Now for some final pictures before I focus on other figures for pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to use Lego technic parts and clear tape, but I got a working shield now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    He's looking more and more fun with every picture.

16. edgecrusher

edgecrusher When yer featherin' it, brother TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That one shows the frustrating pre-scratched finish of the black plastic really well. That's what it looks like under direct lighting.

17. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    I completely forgot to show off my jae post hip mod. Remember how I said he couldn't bare the weight of just cynicus hanging off his back before I modded him?

Well you tighten those hips:

[​IMG]

And he's fantastically rock solid enough to wear anarchus and cyn as a hat if he wants.

18. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

How did you tighten the hips?

19. ubik

ubik Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Bit disappointed with mine to be honest, the main appeal for me was the spaceship mode and its not possible for me the transform mine due to one of the forearm pieces being incorrect (doesn't have a hole for the tab so cant tab it). In addition the tolerances mean I cant fold and pin the arms and wings even where I have a tab hole. I do like him, but he doesn't function :( 

20. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

I got my Jaegertron the other day from BBTS, and have had a little time to mess around with him. I have to say, while he's not the most complex transformation and he's a bit rough-finished, he does have a lot of cool accessories and a lot of style, much like the Hasbro Lockdown figures from Animated and ROTF. The number and complexity of the accessories are excellent, especially the trophy case and its incorporation into his ship mode. The transformation is a little iffy in spots, but once you get it all tabbed and solid it's fine in ship mode, and I love the big center gun. If you imagine Jaeger to be like the Lockdown character, he's out for maximum accessorizing, so the trophy case component is a great touch.

I don't seem to have any issues with the arm assemblies not staying in place, and the hips seem stable and sturdy on my copy. I haven't tried to use the back shield on the arm, but for those who have made an adapter for it, what lego parts did you use? I could even see just cutting a slot in the shield base so it fits on the little wing stub on the forearm.

Note on those who want to get the thruster to light up - it uses the same batteries that the light-up feature of the MMC Predaking head, and a lot of us bought that pack of 12 batteries, so I had plenty left to use three on the thruster feature for Jaeger.

With the cargo box in place, he kind of looks like a hot-rod hearse or that 'Lunar Limo' set that Lego put out a few years back for the Space Police sets. So it definitely has that black and badass style thing going for it.

Tim
    "toy geek"