MMC Trux (IDW Grimlock)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by maxenoughcolt, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Childish? Why would I waste money on comics I dislike? And unless some miracle happened, the mainline comic has been pure garbage for years with only 1 in 10 issues having any decent storytelling.

• Like Like x 5
  2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I too lost interest after season 2, I couldn't take the transition from Milne's art to Lawrence's and frankly I am surprised that more people did not jump ship when he was no longer on the series. These comics are getting spendier, and if I don't like the art, I'm not going to buy the comic...that's what recaps are for. A good percentage of the figures MMC produces are based almost entirely on Milne/Roche art (I don't know who did Grimlock's IDW design) and I think Milne deserves 90% of the credit for making MTMTE work. As someone who was brought into collecting again almost entirely because of IDW's art in general and the beautiful designs MMC makes based on that art, I feel the need to acknowledge how much Milne and Roche have done for Transformers comics...Roberts, eh, I'm ambivalent. Glad for those who are still enjoying the series (and Rodimus' Lost Light deco is totally dope) but I don't see a single person clamoring for a figure based off of one of Lawrence's designs because he's still mostly drawing Milne's character designs, but in his style.

Still, I'm stoked for figures of characters back when I was still enjoying the series, I'll likely end up with this figure when he comes out...or the Transmetal Megatron repaint, more likely. Speaking of, I'm really stoked to see that design in particular...with PE's Transmetal 2 version on its way sometime soon, we'll essentially have our BW Megatron bases covered, Beast Machines design aside.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I hope this guy sizes with/integrates well with the FP Dinos. I wouldn't mind replacing Severo myself... okay dino mode, derpy bot mode, and a big disappointment after the glory of Cubrar.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    You don’t have to buy them. You could easily pirate it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Cultus Volcanicus

News Credits:
    I’m not clamoring, @lordcryotek, but I am down for an Anode, since she looks like she scanned the vhs for “The Rocketeer.”

But, ya gotta have Lug. So, I think she should combine with Anode, like how TF-WFC:Siege Cog has his “backpack full of cannons” mode, or like the G-Falcon unto a Gundam Double X, for another instance.

And, I’d like to see a new Wipeout, too. Though, I hope Iron Factory will get on IDW Wipeout, Tailgate and Pipes eventually since they all have pretty similar designs.

And then buy the ones you really like.

Like Autocracy and Redemption of the Dinobots...

:thumb 

I’ll probably also pick up Windblade and ‘Til All Are One, eventually, for the Combaticons and Eukaris...

:wink: 

And, just to note, I read the entirety of Phase 2 this Winter and Spring. It was a blast until GI Joe and then the deluge of cross continuity...

:rip 

It’s not all bad, tho, just hard to follow without TFWiki or something else as a reference guide.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

When I see Anode and Lug, I just can't help but think "Milne would have done it better." I'd be down for that design (IE, a reworked version closer to the former MTMTE style), but they just kinda look like cartoon characters wearing Tranformers clothes when I see something drawn by Lawrence. I guess there are plenty of Milne designs from the past and present to mine for good figures, so one or two from Lawrence wouldn't be too bad. My worst collecting fear would be if third parties were to start trying to emulate Lawrence's style in their figures in place of the old IDW aesthetic, that would break my heart.

Anyhow...I was surprised to not see this Grimlock at TFCON, my guess is that they're saving this and a few other things for the TFCON Chicago. Well, my hope. I'm also curious to see if they're going to be doing a repaint of their Tyrantron. I could see a matte grey deco remolded to be more comic accurate, an Animated Megatron accessory pack to convert him into a helicopter, even a pseudo G1 gun mode could be accomplished...or a Galvatron. Dunno, I'm still hoping on the Scavengers from MMC to go with this Grimlock, doesn't seem right without them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    The only problem I have with Jack’s art is he can’t draw noses for shit. Otherwise it’s fine honestly. I don’t think MMC or anyone will change the figure style to it since it’s not popular and enough and it wouldn’t fit. Also I’m pretty sure Alex did draw anode and lug one point in the series so there you go. Give me the Biplane.

I don’t think the megatron figure will get a redeco/remold as of now or even ever. It’s a very specific design. Maybe chnage it into his old friend but I can’t think of anything else. Also an animated one is a bit much to ask for.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Hey. Everyone.

I'm a working writer and publishing industry professional. It is very hard to make a living doing any creative work, at all. Don't pirate anything, please. Just buy it. Printing costs are way down and ebooks are so cheap that you can regularly get giant piles of comics for just a few bucks.

But even if you don't like the direction IDW goes in, don't insult the hard work people put into their comics by pirating them. Please. This is the absolute worst thing you, as a consumer, can do to the comics industry.

• Like Like x 24
  9. Ragifoesmasher

Ragifoesmasher Well-Known Member

This times 100!

• Like Like x 6
  10. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Very true. I don’t actually like pirating but it’s my only option since I don’t have any comic shops nearby. I’m hoping some point I can get some volume collections cause I do really like these stories. The only option I have is conventions but I don’t even like those anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  11. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Cultus Volcanicus

News Credits:
    Comixology also do Steam/Humble Bundle style collections that are pretty huge and hugely discounted, but I’m not sure if those are stuck in their app, or if they give you PDFs or some other DRM free ebook file.

As for industry, consider the Wobblies.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    You can order from Amazon or buy digital versions.

• Like Like x 3
  13. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I'm personally waiting on a huge post-IDW-universe-death bundle to catch me up on the stuff I haven't been reading...which is like a year and a half worth of comics, probably more by the time that happens. My finances were in a place where I couldn't even afford cheap beer for most of last winter (I lost 30 lbs I didn't need to lose...), so comics have been out for a while. Now, catching up is just daunting both in terms of time, money, and figuring out all those goddamned crossovers they thought we loved so much. I am a failed writer myself, so I sympathize with the plight of the industry even if I can't bring myself to support a comic at full price if I don't like the art...I will, just when I can support it for a fair bit cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. I’m gonna get to it and support the comics I love. But mainly just Optimus Prime and Till All Are One.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Optimugatron

Optimugatron Well-Known Member

Frankly I haven't read much of IDW, I love the art and the few stories I have read, but I am totally lost. I'd probably be more interested if it had a more G1 narrative. The character designs are really amazing and I plan on getting all of the Wreckers saga in the future. Call me old fashioned, but I like to hold a book and put it on my shelves rather than download it on a tablet/Kindle.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Oh no it’s not old fashioned at all. The best way to have is definitely in a hard copy version.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BiggestGrimlockFan

BiggestGrimlockFan Well-Known Member

Still impatiently waiting for this lmao, I fucking love their stuff

• Like Like x 3
  18. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    Hey wait a minute....I’m Grimlock’s biggest fan!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    No you aren’t. Grimlock is.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hope we see this at TFCon Chicago.
    I was kinda surprised to see Roller at TFCon Toronto... And he's got a release of November this year. Don't get me wrong.. I wanted Roller from the Tarn mold as soon as I saw it, so I'm happy to have it, but man. Grimlock, Guzzle, and the DJD next, pleeeeeeease.

• Like Like x 3